Poor Casting Technique

Sprintavoj

Reaction score
There's also a case for the longer rod with as light a line that you can use on it can be a big advantage for line/fly control.

bassfly

Reaction score
There's also a case for the longer rod with as light a line that you can use on it can be a big advantage for line/fly control.
I agree and I have a hand built 12ft double handler rated aftm 5# and can be cast overhead or Spey on small spate rivers. The beauty is the line control you can achieve and I have landed salmon up to 11lb. On small rivers with the possibility of larger salmon a 7# 9/10ft single handler or a Switch rod in the 6/8# will do the trick.
Horses for courses.
I listened to anybody for advice when I started fly fishing and had lessons from a good instructor and was well worth the outlay.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I agree and I have a hand built 12ft double handler rated aftm 5# and can be cast overhead or Spey on small spate rivers. The beauty is the line control you can achieve and I have landed salmon up to 11lb. On small rivers with the possibility of larger salmon a 7# 9/10ft single handler or a Switch rod in the 6/8# will do the trick.
Horses for courses.
I listened to anybody for advice when I started fly fishing and had lessons from a good instructor and was well worth the outlay.
This is a 4 year old thread and so you may not get many responses!