Ponoi Rybanga---- Live

keirstream

Reaction score
A wee update on the trip so far.

Arrived in Murmansk on time and set our watches back 50 years to the local time.:):) Only 2 planes on the apron ours and Kharklova charter.
We flew in on a 70 seater jet between 17. The place is littered with apparently abandoned ancient planes and helicopters. We assembled and were led to the noisiest flight I have ever had in my life.
The helicoter rotor shaft sounded as if all bearings had disintegrated and replaced with sawdust and it backfired with gatling gun regularity.:(
Inside ear defenders were dishrd out and the cabin was heavy with the smell of aviation fuel.:(
2 hours later we arrived in camp had dinner met everyone and headed to Home pool for an hour.
I landed 2 and lost 1 all dirty around 8lb.
Today 1st full day and I have ended up a celebrity after a very slow day caused by the extreme low levels of yesterday and a rise of 8inches overnight. I caught the 1st 2 clean Fall run fish at 12lb and 14lb in a total of 4 and lost 4.:):) Regardless of how much I chopped and changed tactics and flies all fell to cascades on full float and inty tip.:cool:
That was the best catch of the day with most others catching 1 or 2 all dirty fish.
No photos till I get back but Ill try to get back on the camp computer to update you all in a couple of days.

ibm59

Reaction score
No thank you , very much.:eek:
Think I'll stick to the 4 Leven seasons.;)
My sense of adventure has got up and gone.:D

Tight lines though , K.

K

kolmac

Was there last September K/stream these fresh runners (Osenkas) are something else. Hope the main run arrives when you are there, you won't believe it. Tight lines, looking forwardto your next report and some photies.

Alan

love 2 fish

Reaction score
tight lines tom . keep us posted . and well done so far
just to let you know that the forth and teith are fishing great every man and there dog is getting 20lders all liced . :):):Dlol .
wish you were back now . i dont think so :)

DJA

Reaction score
Tightlines for the trip keirstream! Look forward to reading the updates. As l2f says, choked with fish over here, beating them off with a stick on the leny!:rolleyes:

speers

Reaction score
yep good luck Tom, hope you are giving that Rod a work out.

keirstream

Reaction score
Day 2

Fishing partner and myself shared 10 today, unfortunately a full day of kipper bashing, still waiting for the autumn run to appear.Lost as many and yes Rab the Tay Raider catches them allright.
Only 2 fresh grilse today in the camp.
There are 10 Argentinians on the trip all using single handers and none catching.They are not happy:(
Nothing more to report except that sometimes it pays to stay at home when you hear about 20lbers in the Forth:eek:
Hope you are getting your share Rab----keep me one.:D:D:D
Anyway camp is fabulous very professional and the bar is well stocked.:D
Try to get a wee shot of the computer tomorrow, heading downstream to meet the fresh fish.:):)

keirstream

Reaction score
Day 3

Rising and dirty water--never the best.:(
Struggled also with a fierce upstream wind and a colouring water.
Managed 5 up to 12lbs including 1 spanking clean 8lber.
These fall run fish fight like demons--dont know what it is about them
but they are fantastic fighting machines.:):)
Very slow day for everyone in the camp but hopefully the rise in water
(11/2feet since we came) should bring them in.
Not as close to the tide as the Dykes but still we should benefit shortly.:D
Speers---first fish I have caught with the SMK was on Saturday evening
and every fish since then except 2 have been on it---very pleased and works a treat with the Monteith multi.:)
Still mostly kipper bashing.:(

keirstream

Reaction score
Days 4 & 5
wind and coloured water causing problems . I have had 3 both days all kippers but downstream a party had 6 fresh fish on and landed 3 plus 3 kippers.
Hoping for better things tomorrow but the river generally has no character.
It is 200yds wide and is basically one big pool fished mostly from the boat.
The few opportunities to fish the bank have been gratefully received. I have done better from the bank and dont enjoy the boat.
The wind also has been a problem blowing fiesly upstream.
Results are not as expected.

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck Tom, although it sounds like there are too many factors playing against you.

In the next few weeks we'll have a chat about Orkla for next season, it's fishing very well at present with loads of fresh fish.

keirstream

Reaction score
Just arrived back and catching up with things. I will give you a report on the final action of the trip which was some of the most thrilling I have experienced in salmon fishing anywhere in the world.:)

Firstly though I need to clear up a bit from my last report. When I said the river was mostly featureless I meant the particular beat we fished that day which was 200yds+ in width and had no features over its 3 or so miles length that you would pinpoint and conclude that a fish would be there. It was dull and boring and a chore to fish.:(

There are 44kms of water rotating through 10 or so beats ,3 above camp,7 below plus Home Pool. The beats above were much harder work than those below and their character could not have been more different.
Those above quiet and sedate , those below changing more to faster, rockier and generally much more interesting propositions the further downstream you were fishing.:)

We fished 1 above and 5 below in our 6 day rotation. 1 beat mediocre as described, 2 mostly kipper bashing, the other 3 some of the finest and most exciting fishing I have experienced anywhere ever.:D
Those 3 beats were Upper Tomba, Lower Tomba and Hard Curve,extremely appropriately named due to its steep fall from top to bottom, fast rushing streams roaring round and over huge boulders,and searching small pockets of fish holding water through the whole length of the 3 something kms of bubbling torrential maelstroms, all curving on a massive right to left corner. The scale is mind-boggling but the guides are well up to their jobs and knew how to put you on fish if they were there. They are great professionals and unfortunately most of them return to the mediocrity of life in Murmansk and Umba after the 20 week season is over. They are worth more than that.:(

Anyway, on to Day 6--and what a day.:D:D:D
The one thing that I feel is a negative about fishing the Ponoi is that the guides are so enthusiastic they want to be seen to be working hard for you and that sometimes means a reluctance to have bank fishing. As soon as I saw the pool at the upper limit of Lower Tomba when we were dropped off by the hovercraft I decided it just had to be fished from the bank. A quick chat to Kaula had us up to our waists in the most gorgeous pool imaginable. I opted for my DDC full inty line and a small P.B.P. tube which was savagely siezed within 5 minutes by a powerhouse of a fish that took me to the backing within seconds on the first run resulting in that adrenalin fueled surge of satisfaction that only an uncontrolably screaming reel can give.:cool: These fish are something else.They give and expect no quarter. Every one of these Fall Run fish are packed with so much raw, wild energy and aggresion you can only gasp at the sheer privelege of having the opportunity to meet with them.

10 mins later,on a slow figure of 8 retrieve with my mind on an eagle soaring majestically overhead I experienced once more a take but this time of a different nature. As I was dreaming of other things and holding the line a fish decided that it was his turn to shock me back to reality (if thats what you can call it) by almost pulling the rod out of my hand and undoubtedly into mid stream such was the fearsome power exerted by these wonderfull pit-bulls of the salmon world.:eek: This wee terror cartwheeled madly across the pool and stripped me to the backing 4 times before reluctantly coming to the net. Both 11 lbs but boxing well above ther weight.
Kaula then decided he was getting into the action and of we went downstream in the boat to search out all the lies that only a guide with massive knowledge of his water can impart. I didnt think at that point that we could do any better. How wrong I was. By the time we headed home we had landed 9 sparkling belters, some dripping with lice and had lost 8 more and you know what? Every one of them deserved their freedom. They fought truly like demons and as if their lives depended on winning that fight. Every one of these energy packed torpedoes of fish just did not know the meaning of the word defeat and I say again, what a priveledge it was to meet with them and I hope God willing that I am able to do so again.:):) The Fall Run had arrived and most of the rods shared in the bounty.:)

So that was it---helicopter trip from hell, wonderful camp, great food served up by 4 chefs, truly professional guides , fishing that ranged from mediocre to the most wildly exciting sport in the most rugged terrain. Now I know why Ryabaga has such a reputation but I would comment if I ever get back I wont gamble on the week we were there. I would make sure I was heading for the Fall Run and I know I would not be able to sleep at the prospect of meeting again with such a worthy sporting adversary----the Fall Run Ponoi salmon.:):)

Very shortly I will post some pics but for now Im off for a pint and tonight I will dream.:):)

merlin

Reaction score
Look forward to the pics, sounds like some serious fun with those fighting machines!.Think I would of been rattleing with all that addrenalin going about.

gotoneon

Reaction score
Nice one Keirstream. looks like you had a magic trip. All the best and I can only imagine your memories during the long dark cold December nights with a dram in hand. I too look forward to the pics:)

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Glad you had a good trip Tom, despite its ups and downs.

If you need a personal photographer/videographer next year, I'm sure I've nothing on that week :D

McFly

Reaction score
Great report. Sounds like an awesome place. Note to self..."Remember to buy lottery ticket on Wed...."

keirstream

Reaction score
some pics for you. It is interesting to note that 20 anglers landed 270 salmon for the week, an average of 13.5/rod. The 2 Scots wiped the face of everyone with 50 for the boat myself being top rod with 27. A very difficult week.:(
Keep an eye on Ponoi website this week--Ill bet that the catch is at least double that--a mouthwatering prospect.
Customs control at Murmansk.:)

Leaving Murmansk in the Hell-icopter:eek:

Inside the Hell-icopter.3 crew+2 mechanics:eek: Notice the Rolex on the mechanics wrist.:)

Sergie with some fish.:)

Hovercraft on the way.

Into a kipper on Home Pool.:eek:

Said kipper giving up.:eek:

Deputy Dawg with a fish.:D

Returning one.:)

And another

kaula with a fish.:)

And unhooking another.:)

A bleeder in the boat.:mad:

One for the road.:cool:

Service truck at Murmansk.:)

Some modern planes.:D

Terminal building at Murmansk--nearly went to the salt mines for taking this photo.:eek:

Eog

Reaction score
Keep an eye on Ponoi website this week--Ill bet that the catch is at least double that--a mouthwatering prospect.

They're on 301 with a day to go keirstream, which is fair. However, this monster was taken 2 days ago, which hit the scales at 28lbs! And was one of the fresh run Autumn fish. Just one more cast and it could have been yours!! :D

Great reports and set of pics Keirstream, thanks a lot for sharing.

Eog.

scottrod

Reaction score
What a fish,(well done)

Fantastic report Tom thanks for sharing your experience out there and amazing photo's:)
You have a chance of catching a fish like that Tom before the end of the season where i'm going to take you!

keirstream

Reaction score
What a fish,(well done)

Fantastic report Tom thanks for sharing your experience out there and amazing photo's:)
You have a chance of catching a fish like that Tom before the end of the season where i'm going to take you!

Do you mean ANOTHER fish like that gary?:D:D