Ponoi, Brevyeni Camp - 2011 Season Report.

Frontiers

Reaction score
Having rested the Brevyeni beats for the past several seasons, PRC staff and guests alike have been fortunate this year to explore again this fabled fishery, and to great success!

This past week brings more promising news from Brevyeni, where outstanding fishing continues to be the norm. Following the heat wave that swept over the tundra in early June, temperatures this week returned to a comfortable and seasonal 8-10 degrees, with beautiful skies providing glorious and picturesque fishing conditions. Sadly, 5 rods from the UK ran into last-minute complications and were unable to join the Brevyeni crew in camp, and the riches of the fishery were offered in full to only three anglers. Imagine, miles of unmatched salmon water, with more fishing opportunity than three individuals could ever fully sample in one week; well, that’s Brevyeni for you.

This week, floating lines, skated tubes, and bombers were the trick, and guests were able to tease most of the taking fish onto the surface. Top-water action resulted in an average of 42 fish per rod, some of those in the 15-18 pound class. Clearly, we are just beginning to survey all that this lower part of Ponoi has to offer. Furthermore, in light of the pristine nature of Brevyeni waters, there remains an element of pioneer spirit to the fishing, and every beat, break, and rock poses the possibility of another salmon. Brevyeni guides are relishing the opportunity to join guests in the adventure, and exemplary hospitality rounds out the whole experience. Nowhere in the world can a remote salmon camp combine this quality of fishing, food, camaraderie, and beauty. Brevyeni is truly a hidden jewel.

With the success of the week behind us, we are eagerly preparing for more guests and more exceptional fishing. Until we meet on the banks of Brevyeni, may we wish you all the best.

Sincerely,

The Brevyeni Team

andyjaffs

Reaction score
For sale, small semi detached home, car, one kidney lightly used.

Great reports, as ever. I reckon someone at Frontiers is an evil psychology genius that knows how to get in to salmon fisher's heads :D

Reaction score
Brevyeni 11-18 short report

I was there and including Home Pool we averaged 53 fish per rod. Top rod 61 fish.
Best fish: a couple of 20+ lbs. Lot of fish on 10-18 lbs range. I'd say that just 40% grilse.
Floating or slow intermediate lines, long leaders, small flies 5-9, bombers and skaters..that was what the week was all about !
I will try to post some photos.

Springer

Reaction score
I was there and including Home Pool we averaged 53 fish per rod. Top rod 61 fish.
Best fish: a couple of 20+ lbs. Lot of fish on 10-18 lbs range. I'd say that just 40% grilse.
Floating or slow intermediate lines, long leaders, small flies 5-9, bombers and skaters..that was what the week was all about !
I will try to post some photos.

Great stuff SA.

The river is lower than normal for the time of year but the season seems to have begun well. I heard from a friend who is guiding at Ryabaga that the summer run has started to arrive.

What patterns/sizes were you finding most successful?

Reaction score
fly patterns

Hi Springer

Pattern were not so important as size was. Every pattern seemed to work.
I caught most of my fish on cascade, black sheep and a couple of new ideas, the YOBBie and the Green Weapon were tried and I caught lot of fish on them, Mr Salar seemed to like them :)

YOBBie is a fly tied on double hooks with a pale orange and fiery brown wing made of artic fox (few strands of any flashy material can be added) and 3 front hackle, Yellow, Orange and Black (YOB=YOBBie), being the black the front one sparsely tied and the yellow one the most important. Black or orange head.

Green Weapon is obviously a greenish fly. Tied on a silver hook or plastic tube, without any dressing, wing made of chartreuse grizzly rabbit strip, first hackle a chartreuse cock and natural guinea fowl in front hackle, jungle cock cheeks can be added. Green head.

Working fly sizes were doubles from 5 to 9.

I will try to upload some photos during the weekend.

Hope this helps

Tono

Last edited:

Frontiers

Reaction score
Week 2.

Each of the guests after dinner made a descent on Home Pool. By evening’s end the ice had been broken with 4 salmon in a row, several of them fresh, summer run fish. Over the course of the week I had the pleasure of guiding each of the guests in turn, and I must say it was quite an adventure.

Of particular note this week were the culinary delights prepared in the kitchen by our head Chef Anton Sidunov, and helpers Anton Plotnikov and Lena Karionova. The chefs delighted guests with every variety of delicacy, from salad to delicious dessert, and all of this in a remote salmon camp! The way to any fisherman’s heart is, after all, through his stomach, and of this we are continually reminded at Brevyeni. Furthermore, to dine and sleep within earshot of the relaxing sound of ‘river music’ is truly something special.

Every moment, the river changes. The level is currently low, but Brevyeni boasts the most experienced guides to direct anglers from one pool to another. There is no ice or snow to impede fishing, and the current is optimal for taking salmon. We had temperatures varying from 9 to 15 degrees during the week, though the water temperature was above 12 degrees and stream conditions remained optimal for dry and intermediate lines. Multiple summer run fish were caught with dry flies, and nearly 40 summer run fish were landed in all, with the catch per rod averaging 20 salmon.

All told, it was a memorable week. I feel personally lucky to have shared the pleasure of my guests both on the river and in camp each night. Each guest left in my memory an anecdote to tell. I really hope to see you all again in Brevyeni Camp!!

Best to All,

Boris Mamontoff

Kolaloon

Reaction score
Anticipation has steadily been building, as our party of 8 rods prepares to fly out to Murmansk on 9th September, to fish the week at Brevyeni for bright, autumn fish. Half of the rods are very experienced, the others less so, but as a Ponoi veteran, I know that the excellent international guides will put us over fish every day. Including Argentinian Boris, who somehow or other speaks fluent russian, all the guides are Ryabaga regulars, allocated by rota to Brevyeni, some are russian, but others hail from Argentina, USA, even Scotland ! I'm getting great reports of the catering, and I already know that the management and logistics will be faultless.

Following a winter with relatively little snow, they had a warm, make that very hot, summer, and it may take a substantial downpour to top up the river. The Kola Peninsula is like a giant sponge, releasing water slowly throughout the fishing season. Even after serious rain and a substantial rise the water still runs clear, in marked contrast to the Tweed, and we have no fear that the river will be fishable, come what may.

Brevyeni is relatively untested in autumn although all the hundreds fish caught in Ryabaga waters have to pass by Brevyeni Camp ! The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, and we are keeping our expectations in check, or at least trying hard to!

I am keen to hear any news of the Ponoi, if any Forum Members have just returned or are going in the next few weeks.

Udachi (good luck), poka, poka (bye, bye).

Kolaloon

Springer

Reaction score
I was out there last week at Ryabaga with a small group of forum members.

The river is in good condition and very low for the time of year. There are plenty of fish in Upper/Lower Tomba at present and I would pray for the low water to continue. It seems to concentrate the fish and make them a bit easier to find.

I was there last year 27th Aug and the lower beats were stacked with silver fish and the river was easily to wade, even right in the middle!

I will be at Brevyeni this year 2 weeks before you on the 27th Aug before transferring to Ryabaga for the 3rd September week with another group of forum members. To say Im looking forward to this years fall run would be a bit of an understatement!!!!

Brevyeni and Ryabaga are now closed for 3 weeks, I was talking to a couple of the Brevyeni guides who I know last week when they came up to Ryabaga, they said the camp is in great shape and to the usual high standard and they are optimistic of great fall fishing. PRC guides are by far the best I have fished with and all are very competent fly fishermen with lots of experience as you well know.

Dont forget your Ponoi Gold's ;)

Kolaloon

Reaction score
Lucky chap you are, Alan. Will look forward to reading the report. Boris is a superb guide, an excellent manager and great company. Hope the mozzies weren't too bad in July but I know there will be none in September. I've been a few times to Ponoi (4), Ryabaga 3 times and Acha & Pacha half a week each and I've fished it at different heights though never "bare bones". Max Mamaev showed me the deep channel through the apparent shallows - oh what an advantage to learn the river in low conditions and see where the fish will be when it's higher !

I always take hunners of flies in case conditions are not as anticipated, ie 9times out of 10 !!! It must be the unpredictability that draws me back and god willing, will continue to.......... I'm taking with me some high-profile marabou pacific king flies in case we get a spate, they may just provoke an aggresive take from a big fish. 21lb is my Ponoi best, so I will need to be lucky to beat that.

Atlantic salmon are very different to pacific salmon, and having fished Alaska West five consecutive years, I can tell you that it's a mega buzz to hook into something 30 pounds or more and watch your backing disappear before your eyes as kings are really powerful, when fresh and sealiced !!! That said, when the chips are down, I prefer the challenge, scenery and solitude of russian rivers and atlantics, I'm just bloody lucky to have experienced the two ! I have fished Hard Curve, Sunken Log, Alex's Restaurant and the Lapinyarka water before, with guide Sergei Bistrov, and it was one of my best ever days, so I'm looking forward enormously to Brevyeni with my party of 8.

Udachi and tight lines !

Ciao.

K

speyboy

Reaction score
Ponoi, Brevyeni Camp

I was out there last week at Ryabaga with a small group of forum members.

The river is in good condition and very low for the time of year. There are plenty of fish in Upper/Lower Tomba at present and I would pray for the low water to continue. It seems to concentrate the fish and make them a bit easier to find.

I was there last year 27th Aug and the lower beats were stacked with silver fish and the river was easily to wade, even right in the middle!

I will be at Brevyeni this year 2 weeks before you on the 27th Aug before transferring to Ryabaga for the 3rd September week with another group of forum members. To say Im looking forward to this years fall run would be a bit of an understatement!!!!

Brevyeni and Ryabaga are now closed for 3 weeks, I was talking to a couple of the Brevyeni guides who I know last week when they came up to Ryabaga, they said the camp is in great shape and to the usual high standard and they are optimistic of great fall fishing. PRC guides are by far the best I have fished with and all are very competent fly fishermen with lots of experience as you well know.

Dont forget your Ponoi Gold's ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
from cornelis/speyboy
nice flys // a have this flys 400 or more ,is no problem /rods / technick is good.

Its seams Kola is the only /this time for salmon, this story is ferry bad.
was on Gaula the favorit Norge river last weeks in juli /august.
to muche water / to little fish. see this in the south for example mandalselva or other selva last years, no fish only grilse, fisher take out the fish, ther ar no roles in scandinavia/the roles in norge ar ,take im out and kill him
within 5 years this is olso happen with kola.
it sounds negative / but it's true / but no one believe me.

other// i go try this on kola next year // I do this before I die.
meaby to hole 4 weeks in juli

meaby i see you ther in russia

cornelis

speyboy

Reaction score
kola/ for the last salmon in europe

We almost have to go to the North Pole to catch salmon/this is to crazy for
words.
sorry I'm a stressed fisherman , we do something about it/i dont think so.
have send letters to norge fiske directorats last years , till now no answer.
i,m to old for this/ you ar young fisher , go further /want catch salmon
next 20 years ,most do something.
sucses
old fisherman
cornelis from the netherlands

Kolaloon

Reaction score
Your concern is right, Cornelis. Some places allow fish to be killed without restriction. Some rivers in Kola Peninsula stick strictly to catch and release as in fact it's the law in RUSSIA - eg Rynda, Zolotaya, Kharlovka, Eastern Litza, Yokanga, Ponoi, Varzuga, Kitza.

Locals kill fish to eat, fair enough if caught individually with rod and line, but not so fair with nets......

In Scotland, there is a growing recognition of the need for catch and release, but not all fishermen are honourable in this respect.........

I am off to Ponoi this Friday and my party will all catch and release the salmon.

Happy fishing !

K

Kolaloon

Reaction score
Well, the dust had barely settled in the disco, and we found ourselves in a minivan outside the Poliarny Zori Hotel in Murmansk at o7.00 hrs on Saturday 10th September, having enjoyed a mere 4 hours sleep, (less for some....), heading out to the airport to board our executive helicopter to Brevyeni Camp on the Ponoi River. Excitement was running high as we imagined ourselves tackled-up and fishing by lunchtime, but..................perfidious albion................we did fly to the camp and due to thick fog, were unable to land, so were diverted back to the fuel dump at Lovozero about half way back across the Kola to Murmansk, a total flying time of about 3.5 hrs. There ensued an excruciating wait of 7 hours, initially for the fog to clear, then due to "military exercises" in the area until finally the truth emerged that the Russian Federation President, Dmitry Medvedev was fishing the Ponoi at Ryabaga and his Chief Of Security banned all flights over the locus until 6pm which was when we were permitted to resume our journey to Brevyeni Camp, arriving some 12hours after leaving Murmansk !!!!

Things could only improve, and our wee team of 8 enjoyed a glass or two of Argentinian red wine and a most delicious repast before hitting our beds and dreaming of the week to come. After a substantial brekkie of porridge, eggs and bacon, we got kitted-out with borrowed 15 ft salmon rods, waders and boots and boarded our jetboats, an experienced Ponoi guide between each two rods, and headed upriver to the wonderful water of Lapinyarka.

Beginner's luck was bestowed on Peter, who took 3 fine fish on the first day in contrast to David, his expert companion's blank ! How cruel is salmon fishing ? Throughout the week, luck played its part as we all had moments of elation and despair. Brevyeni water is arguably prettier and better defined than Ryabaga, but being only 12 to 24 km from the sea, salmon are more inclined to charge upriver while they are fresh and strong, only pausing briefly it seemed. The weather was mild and windy, suiting those with skagit lines in their armoury, or at least shooting heads. Slow sink tips were adequate, with 5 ft leader of 15 ft and surprisingly large flies. The most effective way to fish these was to hurl out a 35 yard cast and strip back til the shooting head reached the top ring of the rod, thus inducing uninhibited takes from the sparkling bright osenka salmon. Largest hooked were around 18/20 pounds, but most were grilse-sized bright fish or larger dark fish (crocodiles) which had been in the river several weeks.

The days whizzed by and by Friday evening, we had landed 77 fish and lost many...... A good few seatrout and grayling were also landed, the former providing us with a delicious shore lunch some days.

I cannot recall a nicer camp, most efficiently managed by Boris Mamontoff, ably supported by his team of chefs, waitress, mechanics and guides. The atmsphere in the "club tent" was wonderful, and we enjoyed top hotel-quality meals and wine, in a remote wilderness setting, followed by professional entertainment by our very own rock-star, Chic on a borrowed guitar. Rods Rupert, Iain, Robbie and Bill geve a very good account of themselves on their first Ponoi foray and needless to say, we were gutted to be torn away on the saturday to begin the long journey home to the UK.

At $7000 we felt the experience was good value for money, admittedly we would have liked to catch more fish, but 9.6 average per rod compares very favourably with a week in Scotland these days. The service, the food and the cameraderie were brilliant and one is reminded that the craic is at least as important as the fishing on these trips.

Details of available fishing in 2012 from Frontiers or visit ponoiriver.com to read all about it.........

Roll on next autumn !

Kolaloon

happy days

Reaction score
I was at ryabaga with springer the week before you went out, the river was quite big, including my homepool exploits i managed 24 for the week and the biggest fish that week at 20lb clean fall run there is a pic on the fishing report, id say at least 20 were shiny fish and some nice clean ones in the mid teens, the power in those silver torpedos was unreal, as we were coming home the president arrived to fish so we left a few in for him.

Last edited:

Kolaloon

Reaction score
Ponoi - Brevyeni - September, 2012

After hugely enjoying our first visit to Brevyeni Camp in September 2011, I already have 7 out of a potential 8 rods, ready willing and able, to commit to a Fall week in 2012 ! The magnetic draw of this place is awesome, although other camps and other weeks here can and do produce more fish. However, in my view, there is no nicer camp than Brevyeni, excellent management, hotel-quality catering, professional guides, lovely single-occupancy cabins, showers, banya, flushing toilets etc.

I have enjoyed weeks at Varzuga, Kharlovka, Kola etc and frankly would return several times each season to any of them if I had infinite resources, but sadly, one has to make a choice... My selection criteria have evolved over the years and I am increasingly reluctant to pay premium prices for the potential of a big fish in Russia, preferring a camp with quality service, good grub and nice water, albeit with relatively modest prospects. In short, I would rather go twice or three times for the same money ! If I want big salmon, it's a no-brainer - Alaska late June/early July for Pacific Kings on the fly !!!

Seasonal good wishes to all Forum members. Hope to see you on the riverbank next season........

Kolaloon