Polyleader Or versileader

FISHBOY1

Reaction score
What is difference between the two leaders taper- weight or just preference cheers F1

MCXFisher

Reaction score
You pay your money and take your choice: the Rio Versileaders are tapered, more expensive and should theoretically achieve a neater turn over; the Airflo polyleaders are level and cheaper. Although almost all of my lines are Rio, on the far end I've always found the much cheaper Airflo polyleaders perfectly satisfactory.

paddymc

Reaction score
I think the airflo ones are better. I find the rio versileaders to be too heavy and I think the airflo ones are tapered too.

Richardgw

Reaction score
Rio Versileaders are the same weight irrespective of density. In salmon sizes the 6ft weigh circa 3 grams and the 10 ft circa 5 grams.

Airflo polyleaders get heavier as the density increases. For example a salmon 10ft intermediate weighs circa 2 grams whilst the 10ft extra super fast sink weighs nearly 6 grams.

neilfly1

Reaction score
All the airflo poly leaders I have used have been tapered, not level. Have never used versileaders due to their price and horror stories of loop failures and occasionally snapping at less than half breaking strain, may be a rare thing, but have heard it about versi leaders and that was enough to put me off
do like the idea of them all being the same weight though

Henke

Reaction score
Polyleader ! Use Airflo ..they are very good.
I have never needed to pay extra for Rio’s :)
Flylines from Airflo sinks better than the same sink rate from Rio...whether that also include poly leaders I am not sure of...

wormo

Reaction score
I use both but prefer the rio as they are more robust lasting years, on the flip side the airflo coating can be stripped back if the front gets damaged and I can make a new overhand loop

Rennie

Reaction score
I have both, but use almost exclusively Airflo from 5ft through to 15ft.Never had a problem with them, each n every one is rung up with a 2mm or 3mm Riverge Leader ring.Poly's are a part of my approach to leader length and controlling flee depth and I rely on them heavily.
I've two sets of the Rio Versileaders, but had problems with them snapping, so as such I've never settled to being confident with them and using them.
As far as the Airflo items go, well " if it ain't broke?".
Pedro.

leave_u

Reaction score
I have both, but use almost exclusively Airflo from 5ft through to 15ft.Never had a problem with them, each n every one is rung up with a 2mm or 3mm Riverge Leader ring.Poly's are a part of my approach to leader length and controlling flee depth and I rely on them heavily.
I've two sets of the Rio Versileaders, but had problems with them snapping, so as such I've never settled to being confident with them and using them.
As far as the Airflo items go, well " if it ain't broke?".
Pedro.

Rennie, could you post a Foto of how you attach the leader Ring to the business End of the leader? i am also thinking to do this for my Polyleaders. Do you strenghten the back loop on them too? Thaks
Liviu

Rennie

Reaction score
Its all very very simple Liviu, I take a 3mm Riverge Leader ring and 1/2 blood knot it directly to the nylon end of the poly leader. I use twice through the ring and 5 turns, tiny bit of "spit", gently draw it all tight n snug.Then I apply the tiniest bit of Zap a Gap flexible water proof glue only to the knot itself.Allow to dry, then snip the tag end off flush with snips. Obviously the std poly leader is 24lb, so I don't go above 23.5lb Seaguar.
I've never even thought about strengthening the back end of any poly, never seen the need to be honest.
Seriously some of my polys are now several years old and still going strong rigged like this, I check them regularly and any damage and they get binned.
I can do a photo if you like, but it's pretty self explanatory, as I'm on nights that'll be later in the week afraid.
I find half the battle is a good loop in the front of the fly line, manufactured loops are great these days, but for self formed braid loops, small neat, tidy and strong stops hinging, thats most of the battle won with any poly leader off the front of a fly line.
Shall we say I'm 101% confident in my approach for fishing in the UK, be that with either floating or sinking heads and lines.
Pedro.

leave_u

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Rennie. I will do this too. The ring is extending the life of the Polyleader a lot and should make a very good connection. Never used zapagap but will give it a try. When i shortcut my shootingheady, after welding i coat with Aquaseal. Is ZapaGap flexible?

Rennie

Reaction score
Yes it is Liviu, not in the same league as Aquasure or variants, but it’s a product I trust and have used successfully and safely on all my lines and leaders for some time now!

Rennie

Reaction score
Well, looks like my honey moon with Airflo polys could be on the wane. This months T+S has dropped on the mat with an Airflo catalogue included. Reading it, there’s changes to the popular and best useful Green and Brown polys. They were 2.5 and 3.9 ips sink rates respectively, but are now said to be 2 and 3 ips. Not a lot you may think, but enough to muck up how I use them with my favourite sink 1/2 and 2/3 heads.
Some experimentation could be the order of the day. Dammed inconvenient Airflo, finger out please!.
Pedro.

mc andy

Reaction score
Well, looks like my honey moon with Airflo polys could be on the wane. This months T+S has dropped on the mat with an Airflo catalogue included. Reading it, there’s changes to the popular and best useful Green and Brown polys. They were 2.5 and 3.9 ips sink rates respectively, but are now said to be 2 and 3 ips. Not a lot you may think, but enough to muck up how I use them with my favourite sink 1/2 and 2/3 heads.
Some experimentation could be the order of the day. Dammed inconvenient Airflo, finger out please!.
Pedro.
Funny given they are the most popular brand that they would change suit to directly match rio.

I had just purchased some new ones and hadn't noticed the density change on the packet. Fairly sure you? We can work round it Pedro. 👍

chriswjx

Reaction score
Funny given they are the most popular brand that they would change suit to directly match rio.

I had just purchased some new ones and hadn't noticed the density change on the packet. Fairly sure you? We can work round it Pedro. 👍

I have seen that there's new packaging for em so that might be why there isn't a density change if its still the old packaging? There should still be plenty of the original stuff in the shops though...

PatK

Reaction score
I have used Airflow Polyleaders for very many years and never had a failure and just tie a neat loop in the nylon end. Some of mine go back at least 20 years! However, my favourite leader, is and always was the Bob Church woven nylon and fine copper wire slow to medium sinkers.
Sadly I now only have one full length one and one that is roughly half length. Two nice Tweed salmon were taken using them two weeks ago. They have a better water action than Polyleaders, because they are soft and very flexible. Sadly they are no longer made, and if my memory is correct, they were woven in Spain. Anybody have any in the back of their cupboard, I would love to get some more.!