Polyleader loop knot.

rytenuff

Reaction score
Airflo suggest tying a simple overhand knot to form the loop on these, which I do. But it annoys me that the loop then goes off at an angle with that method. It isn't so noticeable on a trout leader but on a salmon polyleader the angle is quite obvious.
It's just a wee thing, but it kinda irks me. Is there a better knot that will have the loop in a straight line with the rest of the polyleader? I tried the figure of eight knot but it looks a bit bulky.
Before anyone says.....I know it's a bit anal. :)

Tangled

Reaction score
I just use the overhand knot but I know what you mean, if you want the loop to lie straight the perfection loop does it.

miramichi

Reaction score
I've attached 20 lb test braided mono loops to the ends of all my poly leaders. I work the end of the poly leader up into the braid and attach it with Pliobond. It makes a neat connection that doesn't fatigue as quickly as a knot.

Byron

Reaction score
I don't like a loop in my poly leader, I don't like the hinge effect of tippet rings either. I prefer to use a two turn surgeons knot to join my tippet, i think 3 turns weakens the knot. I also use a tiny amount of zap a gap on the knot. when my tippet is too short I just tie in another behind the existing knot and then cut off the old one. When using a surgeons knot it's important not to do too much of a jump in diameter, it's also not good for energy transfer and turnover.

budge

Reaction score
Figure of eight loop for me. I did a few tests with different knots and loops and this was strongest.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

firefly

Reaction score
Always used the Rapala knot, both ends (poly and tippet, nylon and fluorocarbon) and on looped flies. Never (!) failed.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
I've attached 20 lb test braided mono loops to the ends of all my poly leaders. I work the end of the poly leader up into the braid and attach it with Pliobond. It makes a neat connection that doesn't fatigue as quickly as a knot.
^^ This sounds interesting...^^

Previous discussions have focused on using eg a tippet ring to solve the problem of loop weakening through use with polyleaders in general.
I've converted a few of mine over to tippet rings and don't notice any detriment to casting (drag is similar to the fig 8 or perfection knot).

Just wonder if the braided loop idea gives a smoother / more pliable connection whilst still resisting wear?

Tangled

Reaction score
I ordered some 2.5mm and 3.7mm tippet rings from eBay. I'll see how it goes.
Thanks all. :)
It's an obvious point but you never know - tippet rings are tiny metal washers, those sold by the major brands are fine but I've seen others that have sharp edges that can cut straight through a leader, do have a good look at them and test them first!

mc andy

Reaction score
Thing to remember here also, is a polyleader is a renewable part of our leader not necessarily built to last forever. I change mine first sign of damage, often before that if I feel its time changed. At £6 not worth losing a fish over.

Rrrr

Reaction score
It's an obvious point but you never know - tippet rings are tiny metal washers, those sold by the major brands are fine but I've seen others that have sharp edges that can cut straight through a leader, do have a good look at them and test them first!
Ive had the ones with edges on that i got free with taperd teout leaders and they were terrible, pull on them and the tippet breaks where the ring wears it. Not had issues with riverage etc.

Also for polyleaders ive had no issue with a double overhand loop and connect my tippet via loop to loop. Then again i do renew polyleaders fairly often due to mixing them up or loosing them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

budge

Reaction score
Ive had the ones with edges on that i got free with taperd teout leaders and they were terrible, pull on them and the tippet breaks where the ring wears it. Not had issues with riverage etc.

Also for polyleaders ive had no issue with a double overhand loop and connect my tippet via loop to loop. Then again i do renew polyleaders fairly often due to mixing them up or loosing them.

That's my method using a figure of eight loop on polyleader and tippet. I keep an eye on the loop and cut off and tie another if it looks worn. Been using this method for my match fishing hook lengths for 40 years without an issue. One point to bear in mind with figure of eight loop and loop to loop connection, there are 2 pieces of line forming the knot and the connection, not one. Try an experiment with two lengths of 10lb nylon using all the different methods to join them, then attach one end to a solid object and the other to a screwdriver or similar. Give it a good series of jerks and see which breaks easiest. I was quite shocked at how easy a ring or perfection loop snapped. Obviously nothing scientific, just my own findings.

Rrrr

Reaction score
That's my method using a figure of eight loop on polyleader and tippet. I keep an eye on the loop and cut off and tie another if it looks worn. Been using this method for my match fishing hook lengths for 40 years without an issue. One point to bear in mind with figure of eight loop and loop to loop connection, there are 2 pieces of line forming the knot and the connection, not one. Try an experiment with two lengths of 10lb nylon using all the different methods to join them, then attach one end to a solid object and the other to a screwdriver or similar. Give it a good series of jerks and see which breaks easiest. I was quite shocked at how easy a ring or perfection loop snapped. Obviously nothing scientific, just my own findings.

I just do it as i used to use the method when coarse fishing to attatch hooklengths and found they were ok strength wise. My dads got tippet rings on all of his but thats because he forgets his reading glasses and cant tie loop knots by feel

Rrrr

Reaction score
Never had any problems with riverage or the vision tippet rings
Only problem i have with the riverage ones is that i drop and loose at least half when trying to get them onto the line

Tangled

Reaction score
Only problem i have with the riverage ones is that i drop and loose at least half when trying to get them onto the line
They're a bloody nightmare. I tie them on at home but if I have to do it at the bank-side I have them on a safety pin and tie them onto the line while still safely on the pin.