Polyleader length

Wilkie

Reaction score
I am using a shakespeare switch rod 8/9 with a Barrio switch fly line mostly i have been using a 5ft slow sink polyleader but today i used it with a 10ft slow sink polyleader with a 2ft tippet with the 5ft it was quite easy to cast but with the 10ft i am struggling the tippet is landing in a pile could i maybe cut the polyleader down by 2ft to see if it makes any improvement.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
you could cut it down but I cant see what it you would gain I also use a 8/9 switch like yours and a 7/8 barrio switch 425 grain and it casts and turns over great. try aiming your cast a little more skyward to allow it too turn over, you see lots of people casting at their intended target instead of above it.

Jock

Reaction score
I used 10' polyleaders with 5' tippet and found it great. I used the barrio 7/8 switch line with the 8/9rod until the line wore out. Now use Gaelforce switch line again with 10' poly and 5' tippet. Don't understand why you are having a problem.

Morse

Reaction score
I am using a shakespeare switch rod 8/9 with a Barrio switch fly line mostly i have been using a 5ft slow sink polyleader but today i used it with a 10ft slow sink polyleader with a 2ft tippet with the 5ft it was quite easy to cast but with the 10ft i am struggling the tippet is landing in a pile could i maybe cut the polyleader down by 2ft to see if it makes any improvement.

I am in no way an expert caster and I struggled for a while until I realised I was not bringing the fly upstream far enough (Single spey) without laying my rod almost on the water behind me when I swapped from 5ft to 10ft poly

The answer was to put a bit more effort into bringing the fly upstream and keeping the rod upright (almost) to be ready for the forward stroke.

Remember you are casting a 5ft longer leader.

Hope this makes some sense and is of some help

Morse

Tyke

Reaction score
I regularly cut the tips off tapered poly leaders as most are too fine at the tip to sink properly in the faster sink rates & cutting them back until they have a decent thickness of the sinking coating & fitting a leader ring seems to make them perform better (at say 8 - 9 feet long).

I still like the parallel Michael Evans poly tips, with the 30lbs core, best for the faster sinking rates; they don't need cutting back, but can be if you want shorter tips.

Regards, Tyke.