POLL: TOTM February 2021. Do you remember Trumpton?

Your favourite fly is?

• Flow

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Zamora

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Iainmortimer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JockieScott

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Mattytree

• bankwheel

• mcandy

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • DrPatrickT

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Bens_Flies

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Ypres

• Doublehooked

• SnapT14

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • logan houston

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Pete V

• Tony Mac

• Beel

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Stephenb91

• Easky

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Slaneybs

• nwsalar

• westie4566

• Andrzej

• Grassy_Knollington

• Ryan Houston

• willmorris

• Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Gavinmcc

• Easer

• LouisCha

• billy fish

• AlanT

• Sedgy

• Robb76

• Tailfire

• nickolas

• Grahame Adams

• Woodsy

• Gpu

• SebasP

• GaryD

• Bogwoppit

• Clydebuilt

• Timmins

• pnut123

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robb76

Reaction score
All amazing flies on here, hats off to each and every one of you.

Never entered TOTM as most of my fly tying is pretty iffy but thought it would be a good opportunity to learn and improve my tying.

Went for something a little different and tied a Snow Pig.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Tailfire

Reaction score
Beauly Snow fly

First effort of the year. Over active imagination!

Hook: Partridge Size One Heavy Salmon

Tag: Peacock Uni-Mylar

Rib: Gold Oval over Flat Silver

Dubbing: Kingfisher Blue Fox with Blue Lite-Brite

Carapace(or under wing) Peacock Neck Feather bunched from rear to front with rib and dubbing intertwined and Hackles intertwined from third turn of tinsel)

Body Hackles: Peacock Neck Feather under Black Spey from third turn

Wing: Peacock Micro Tinsel under Peacock Eye Herl under Peacock Herl dyed green

Front Hackle: Bronze Mallard Dyed Orange

Eyes: Jungle Cock dyed Hot Orange.

Snow Fly Two - Final.jpg

Last edited:

Woodsy

Reaction score
A fly I had never even heard off until this competition 🎣😃

Tag: medium silver, varnished for sheen
Rib: medium flat silver and small oval silver
Body: Donegal blue Frankie McPhillips dubbing
Wing: black golden pheasant rump under peacock herl and JC over.
Front hackle: hot orange cock

P2201542~2.JPG

Gpu

Reaction score
Well what a brilliant competition Iain! Thank you for organising and for everyone who has donated a prize . There is Some seriously good tying on show here and way out of my league!

IMG_3375.jpg

Still I really enjoy messing about with colours and flys that I would never usually think about

Thanks again

G

Easer

Reaction score
Hello to everyone first post even though I've been on the forum for a while just watching what everyone else is doing I'm only a dabbler at salmon flys realy anyway I'm one of the least competitive people you could meet but the competition looks great fun so I'll try and take part we're I can.
On to the fly I've never tied a snow fly so I went for a spey look a right pain to get the peacock to sit and I had to decide between orange fox or marabou all I had so went with the marabou and plenty of it lol.
View attachment 56722
Hook _ Alec Jackson 1.5
Tag_ small silver oval
Ribs_medium embossed silive gold twist
Dubbing_Donegal blue
Hackle_Black heron
Wing_From two sides of a peacock eye a few strands of crystal flash
Jungle cock eyes
Head_Orange Marabou.

Thát gold twist rib look REALLY great, I have tried to find it, but to no avail, would You mind putting a link....???

Bjarke.

(EDIT, nice fly, btw....;- )

Last edited:

Grahame Adams

Reaction score
Thát gold twist rib look REALLY great, I have tried to find it, but to no avail, would You mind putting a link....???

Bjarke.

(EDIT, nice fly, btw....;- )
Thanks Bjarke sorry I'm not going to be of much help the gold twist is quite old part of my grandfather's tying collection and I've only one spool of it I know uni do a gold and silver lace and maybe largatun as well.

GaryD

Reaction score
Haven't been doing many salmon flies over the past year or so, but any competition that can tempt JS back from his (too)early-retirement has to be worth a pop!

Tag - Silver oval
Tail - Peacock sword
Body - light blue, mid blue and dark blue mohair in equal parts
Rib - silver mylar
1st hackle - black heron, extra long
2nd hackle - teal
3rd hackle - orange dyed mallard
Wing - green dyed lady amherst
Head - black

(Edit - Daylight pic added)

A56E1D48-457B-410B-BDD9-144A1F7EE107.jpeg

Last edited:

SnapT14

Reaction score
Haven't been doing many salmon flies over the past year or so, but any competition that can tempt JS back from his (too)early-retirement has to be worth a pop!

Tag - Silver oval
Tail - Peacock sword
Body - light blue, mid blue and dark blue mohair in equal parts
Rib - silver mylar
1st hackle - black heron, extra long
2nd hackle - teal
3rd hackle - orange dyed mallard
Wing - green dyed lady amherst
Head - blackView attachment 57745
Nice effort GaryD, I nearly went for a tri tone mohair body but decided not too last minute. Looks good on your fly, didn't suit mine.

👏

Last edited:

Gavinmcc

Reaction score
Afternoon, another late entry. Waiting for a sunny day up here to photograph it!!
Tag Silver tinsel
Rib French Embossed, left of the gold second rib.
Body Teal
1st hackle peacock neck
Wing p. Sord
Head hackle Black hen
Head hot orange seals fur
Long time lurker on the form, thanks for running this Iain.
All the best
G
IMG_20210228_120303.jpg

Easer

Reaction score
For my first ever attempt at a salmon fly, I'm pretty happy with the result, but looking at the other entries, not the least GaryD's, there's no contest though, beautiful flies....

Any way, here we go, it is not much of a Buly, but the requirement of an orange collar send me in the direction of a Lady Caroline, which is also a fairly easy fly to tie for a beginner, plus, only few fish can pass on a shrimp, however, with a fox underwing, it is not much of a Lady Caroline either....;- )
-Buuut it needed a green wing, and I had no green Bronche mallard, or any other green wing material, so....

Hook is a TMC 202 size 1/0
Butt is copper wire, in part to give it a bit of weight, as I will fish it in high-flow water, in part to play along with the Golden pheasant tail and hackle
Tail is Golden Pheasant breast
Body is (ecologic....;- ) blue yarn
Rib is embossed silver tinsel and copper wire, both counterwrapped
Hackle 1 is a small black dyed heron, hackle 2 is golden pheasant breast, hackle 3 is another small black dyed heron, and hackle 4 is another golden pheasant breast (< I accidenly spent all the larger black heron feathers while practicing, so I had to add one, but then I also needed an extra Golden pheasant....;- )
Under-underwing is a few strands of burnt orange fox, underwing is olive fox, over-underwing is a few strands of black fox, and the main wing is Bronche Mallard....;- )

Bjarke
 s1 b CE0A5371.jpg

Last edited:

nickolas

Reaction score
For my first ever attempt at a salmon fly, I'm pretty happy with the result, but looking at the other entries, not the least GaryD's, there's no contest though, beautiful flies....

Any way, here we go, it is not much of a Buly, but the requirement of an orange collar send me in the direction of a Lady Caroline, which is also a fairly easy fly to tie for a beginner, plus, only few fish can pass on a shrimp, however, with a fox underwing, it is not much of a Lady Caroline either....;- )
-Buuut it needed a green wing, and I had no green Bronche mallard, or any other green wing material, so....

Butt is copper wire, in part to give it a bit of weight, as I will fish it in high-flow water, in part to play along with the Golden pheasant tail and hackle
Hackle 1 is a small black dyed heron, hackle 2 is golden pheasant breast, hackle 3 is another small black dyed heron, and hackle 4 is another golden pheasant breast (< I accidenly spent all the larger black heron feathers while practicing, so I had to add one, but then I also needed an extra Golden pheasant....;- )
Under-underwing is a few strands of burnt orange fox, underwing is olive fox, over-underwing is a few strands of black fox, and the main wing is Bronche Mallard....;- )

BjarkeView attachment 57813
That’s some first attempt, very very nice.

GaryD

Reaction score

Bjarke
That's a great looking fly, Bjarke. Looking forward to seeing more👍🏻

Last edited:

Easer

Reaction score
Happy - you should be delirious!

Slaney and Nickolas, its not my first as such, I have been practising on and off all month, but compared to where I was just a short while ago, when I decided to try to participate, I'm pretty pleased....

iainmortimer

Reaction score
In case you hadn't guessed the February competition is now closed bar the voting. With all the entries I should be able to get the poll up by about mid-June!! :oops: Seriously though its great to see the level of participation not just because it is gratifying but because it gives a level of respect to those that have donated such great prizes.

March competition up shortly!

tcorfey

Reaction score
Bravo to all whom submitted an entry in this competition. It was such a tough choice to choose only one!
I would fish any of these fine specimens :).
The artistry and design choices really blew me away, you guys really know how to tie a nice fly and I was throughly impressed.

mows

Reaction score
Its going to be hard picking a winner.
After 10 minutes ive managed to slash my short list down to about 30.
A stunning array of styles and interpretations.
I genuinely dont know how i will pick a favourite!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Its going to be hard picking a winner.
After 10 minutes ive managed to slash my short list down to about 30.
A stunning array of styles and interpretations.
I genuinely dont know how i will pick a favourite!

I was in much the same position even after viewing them a number of times while setting up the the poll! Given what I considered to be quite a tough brief I am blown away by the number of ways that the original has been interpreted or duplicated for those that stayed true to the original. A true group of artists :love:

AlanT

Reaction score
I narrowed it down to three really well tied flies, then just picked the one I'd most likely to tie on my line.
Because it was so hard to choose I can't actually remember who I voted for lol 😆

Edit: I've just noticed the wee tick, apparently I voted for @nwsalar 👍

mows

Reaction score
I narrowed it down to three really well tied flies, then just picked the one I'd most likely to tie on my line.
Because it was so hard to choose I can't actually remember who I voted for lol 😆

Edit: I've just noticed the wee tick, apparently I voted for @nwsalar 👍
i tried the

what fly i would put on.

Usually thats my decider when ive got it down to a couple.
but id use an lot of these.