POLL: TOTM February 2021. Do you remember Trumpton?

Your favourite fly is?

• Flow

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Zamora

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Iainmortimer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JockieScott

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Mattytree

• bankwheel

• mcandy

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • DrPatrickT

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Bens_Flies

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Ypres

• Doublehooked

• SnapT14

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • logan houston

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Pete V

• Tony Mac

• Beel

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Stephenb91

• Easky

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Slaneybs

• nwsalar

• westie4566

• Andrzej

• Grassy_Knollington

• Ryan Houston

• willmorris

• Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Gavinmcc

• Easer

• LouisCha

• billy fish

• AlanT

• Sedgy

• Robb76

• Tailfire

• nickolas

• Grahame Adams

• Woodsy

• Gpu

• SebasP

• GaryD

• Bogwoppit

• Clydebuilt

• Timmins

• pnut123

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried twice now, using what I have at hand for the recipe materials and have both times came up with quite possibly the ugliest flies I have ever made!

Just now after attempt number two I came here to the thread to once again seek inspiration. Inspiration to convince me that a fly made of of blue silver green and orange could be tied.

Yes that's the ticket I thought, I will not copy but will seek confirmation once more that this can be done. Then I spot the latest entry from our esteemed member Alan T and am completely convinced that I will not be able to do this.

The Snake Fly has finished me Alan! Your ingenuity along with the choices and application of colors makes it clear that all of you fellows are on another level than I.

There's not a bad piece of work on display on the thread and the choice will be difficult.

AlanT

Reaction score
Kind words Ard. I've not had any appetite for tying flies for over a year and considered giving up altogether. However I forced myself to sort all my fly tying gear out, sit down and tie a fly for TOTM.
It took me an age to decide what to tie, this came to me after remembering talking to a guy I met on a river last year who swears by them and gave me a stoats tail version.
It's just not me to enter something 'standard' as such, and I like TOTM as it forces me to do something different even if it means no chance of winning.
This must have taken 2hrs by the time i messed about trying to find stuff that I'd just sorted, make braided rigs, jabbed myself 100 times on the treble etc, and it nearly ended up in the bin a number of times. I don't even consider myself to be a good fly tyer as I hardly ever use the right materials or stick to a pattern and take too long to tie them.
I think you should enter something, I didn't rate my entry at all but it seems to have appealed to some, maybe yours will be the same. TOTM throws up some surprises, its not always the most supremely tied fly that wins.

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Kind words Ard. I've not had any appetite for tying flies for over a year and considered giving up altogether. However I forced myself to sort all my fly tying gear out, sit down and tie a fly for TOTM.
It took me an age to decide what to tie, this came to me after remembering talking to a guy I met on a river last year who swears by them and gave me a stoats tail version.
It's just not me to enter something 'standard' as such, and I like TOTM as it forces me to do something different even if it means no chance of winning.
This must have taken 2hrs by the time i messed about trying to find stuff that I'd just sorted, make braided rigs, jabbed myself 100 times on the treble etc, and it nearly ended up in the bin a number of times. I don't even consider myself to be a good fly tyer as I hardly ever use the right materials or stick to a pattern and take too long to tie them.
I think you should enter something, I didn't rate my entry at all but it seems to have appealed to some, maybe yours will be the same. TOTM throws up some surprises, its not always the most supremely tied fly that wins.

I would intend to say exactly the same except that you have expressed the TOTM experience far better than I ever could. It therefore stands that I fully agree with our sentiment as mc andy proved with his 'virus' pattern last year!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I've tried twice now, using what I have at hand for the recipe materials and have both times came up with quite possibly the ugliest flies I have ever made!

Just now after attempt number two I came here to the thread to once again seek inspiration. Inspiration to convince me that a fly made of of blue silver green and orange could be tied.

Yes that's the ticket I thought, I will not copy but will seek confirmation once more that this can be done. Then I spot the latest entry from our esteemed member Alan T and am completely convinced that I will not be able to do this.

The Snake Fly has finished me Alan! Your ingenuity along with the choices and application of colors makes it clear that all of you fellows are on another level than I.

There's not a bad piece of work on display on the thread and the choice will be difficult.
I agree with AlanT. Very kind words but as our own worst critics, I'm convinced that a few potential winners fail to be entered each year because we make ourselves judge, jury and eventual executioner of some of the flies we hatch!

Pete V

Reaction score
I agree with AlanT. Very kind words but as our own worst critics, I'm convinced that a few potential winners fail to be entered each year because we make ourselves judge, jury and eventual executioner of some of the flies we hatch!
I simply feel honoured that I can post my miserable beginners effort in the same place as some true masters of the craft.

westie4566

Reaction score

You gave up after two attempts - must try harder Ard :p πŸ˜‚

The fly I put up was my fourth attempt and I still wasn't entirely happyπŸ˜‚

Get back to the vice and chuck something up(y)

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big difference between a mammoth and a sheep πŸ‘ πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚
Baaah! πŸ˜‚ By the time I've snipped a few strands aff my favourite ewe and dye it brownish naebody will be able to tell the difference!

Ah there you go again, I knew it would come up but was surprised it took this long :)

I may give another go but must first thoroughly go through my materials to find things which don't clash. That is the problem, clash of materials and I'm ill equipped for good matches I fear.

westie4566

Reaction score
Ah there you go again, I knew it would come up but was surprised it took this long :)

I may give another go but must first thoroughly go through my materials to find things which don't clash. That is the problem, clash of materials and I'm ill equipped for good matches I fear.
The ewe's are just gearing up for lambing Ard. Even a pack of paracetamol for their 'headaches' isn't working just now :(

On a serious note, even the original fly was a clash of colours, maybe why it worked?

I'm sure you'll come up with something though(y)

SEDGY

Reaction score
It must be 8 years since I tied a fly,all my stuff has been in boxes in my Mum’s attic since my divorce πŸ˜‚.But have been inspired by this and all the wonderful entries to give it a go.Thanks to my mate ’Snap T14’ for his help with some materials, nearly asked him if I could borrow his Regal Revolution visa but thought that was pushing it. Not a big fan of this pattern to be honest....was looking fine until I had to put in the orange front hackle,was dying to make it white πŸ‘

C5542788-6530-4B25-B85D-9B02F533AA5C.jpeg

easky

Reaction score
It must be 8 years since I tied a fly,all my stuff has been in boxes in my Mum’s attic since my divorce πŸ˜‚.But have been inspired by this and all the wonderful entries to give it a go.Thanks to my mate ’Snap T14’ for his help with some materials, nearly asked him if I could borrow his Regal Revolution visa but thought that was pushing it. Not a big fan of this pattern to be honest....was looking fine until I had to put in the orange front hackle,was dying to make it white πŸ‘

View attachment 57224
very nice and like riding a bike πŸ˜€ πŸ‘ ... and yep not sure Nathan would have willingly allowed you to run around with his 'Visa' card.. especially if you're needing to replenish materials 😁

SnapT14

Reaction score

View attachment 57224

You absolute git .......🀩

All these years of fishing holidays, trips, days out and you've never given me a single fly and now I know why. As usual with you Mr Sedgwick, only HALF a story! A lovely tie, even though the colours do look worryingly familiar.

SEDGY

Reaction score
πŸ˜‚πŸ‘
A technique question if I may..... have left the wing totally dry ,but should I of slightly salivated and shaped the ghastly stuff or is that cheating?

westie4566

Reaction score
I do not miss lambing season
I mind it as a wee laddie, up all night with my Uncle. I had fine small arms which at times came in handy!! My hand on lambs legs and my Uncles strength on my arm.

Great fun as a kid - wouldn't fancy it now though.

SEDGY

Reaction score
Colour combo is spot on....and personally think the inclusion of the golden pheasant under wing is a winner πŸ‘

clydesider

Reaction score
2021 has started with a bang. Some beauties among the entries, well done all. Iain, this month is a tricky one. I must have gone through about 500 different variants, colour combos, styles in my head before deciding on this.
I dont particularly like the combination in the 'Snow Fly' but appreciate the pattern for what it is and represents.

I decided to try a simple Sunray shadow style fly. One that incorporated a few skillful tying tecniques and a good blend of colour. I'm calling it the 'Beauly Shadow..!!

View attachment 56618

This is tied on a 60mm needle tube-

The dressing -

Underbody - aqua blue holographic
Over body - stretched opal tinsel ( to let through a sort of ice blue colour )
Rib - Silver wire
Dubbing loop - blue Mohair tied about 10mm from the top of the tube and brushed to form a sculpin style that sits under the wing
First wing - 1 part aqua, 1 part blue, 2 parts fluo green fox. This is brushed, mixed and tapered to give what I think is quite a cool effect ( almost Peacocky )
Flash -
2 x strands Black angel hair HD
2 x strands peacock angel hair HD
2 x strands Pearl angel hair
Second wing - tapered silver fox ( tied wide to give a drop form wing)
Third wing - again, tapered silver fox.
3 x peacock herl overwing
Collar - hot orange fox pelt tied again, as a dubbing loop.
Thread - Black
Profile on this one reminds me of an olympic ski jumper........cracker!
Mike