POLL: TOTM February 2021. Do you remember Trumpton?

Your favourite fly is?

• Flow

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Zamora

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Iainmortimer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JockieScott

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Mattytree

• bankwheel

• mcandy

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • DrPatrickT

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Bens_Flies

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Ypres

• Doublehooked

• SnapT14

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • logan houston

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Pete V

• Tony Mac

• Beel

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Stephenb91

• Easky

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Slaneybs

• nwsalar

• westie4566

• Andrzej

• Grassy_Knollington

• Ryan Houston

• willmorris

• Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Gavinmcc

• Easer

• LouisCha

• billy fish

• AlanT

• Sedgy

• Robb76

• Tailfire

• nickolas

• Grahame Adams

• Woodsy

• Gpu

• SebasP

• GaryD

• Bogwoppit

• Clydebuilt

• Timmins

• pnut123

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to Tie of the Month 2021
FEBRUARY

This months Theme: Do you remember Trumpton?
For some stupid reason when I was narrowing down the options for this months competition, the role call from the childrens cartoon Trumpton kept bouncing into my mind and as it drove me to distraction the theme resulted from that! What started it was the snow. All that mild weather we had and then typically when I had to drive up to Glasgow to collect my eldest from university the snow dump arrived. Not only that, but being close to the start of the season opening in Scotland I was in my mind whining about the grue that was likely to be in the river and if you're not sure what grue looks like there is a good photo in the thread HERE. So that started my mind repeating the role call from trumpton, 'Hugh, Pugh, Barny McGrew'.

Grue, that horrible, icy, snowy stuff drifting down river, snagging lines and clogging rod rings let alone making it a somewhat chilly experience! While many may become a wee cowering timorous beastie at such times there was a fly developed that was renowned above all others at this time. It was a fly said to out fish everything else and one for which many variations were developed after its creation in the mid 19th century by a Mr.Snowie from Inverness. Francis Francis wrote of it 'for the River Beauly there is a singular fly used...termed the 'Snow Fly' and it is used there so long as there is any snow water on the river'. Such was its popularity that the Beauly Snow Fly remained in use, during both spring and autumn, until the mid-20th century when the big Tay style flies were replaced by tubes and waddington shanks.

As I mentioned many variations appeared largely in relation to the choice of materials but typically it was along the lines of:
Hook: 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches​
Body: blue mohair​
Rib: broad flat silver tinsel and gold twist​
Hackle: black herons hackle from the third turn of tinsel​
Wing: herl from the eye of the peacocks tail feather​
Head: orange mohair​

Now personally I am not a fan of peacock wings in either trout or salmon flies having never caught a thing on them. So despite the theme being the Beauly Snow Fly I refer you for this months theme to the...

SPECIFIC GUIDANCE
  • Your fly should have a blue body, silver rib, green wing and orange collar
  • You can match the original materials or swap to any other materials you choose
  • You can tie your fly in any format you like: tube, hook or shank
  • You can tie your fly in any style you like but it must clearly be a variant of the Beauly Snow Fly.

ENTRIES

Flow
Flow.png

Zamora
Zamora.png

IainMortimer
IainMortimer.png

JockieScott
JockieScott.png

Mattytree
Mattytree.png

bankwheel
bankwheel.png

mcandy
mcandy.png

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.png

Bens_Flies
Bens_Flies.png

Ypres
Ypres.png

DoubleHooked
Doublehooked.png

SnapT14
SnapT14.png

Logan Houston
Logan Houston.png

Pete V
Pete V.png

Tony Mac
Tony Mac.png

Beel
Beel.png

Stephenb91
Stephenb91.png

Easky
Easky.png

Slaneybs
Slaneybs.png

nwsalar
nwsalar.png

Westie4566
Westie4566.png

Andrzej
Andrzej.png

Grassy_Knollington
Grassy_Knollington.png

ryan houston
ryan houston.png

willmorris
willmorris.png

Spectrum Shrimp
Spectrum Shrimp.png

Gavinmcc
Gavinmcc.png

Easer
Easer.png

LoiusCha
LouisCha.png

billy fish
billy fish.png

AlanT
AlanT.png

Sedgy
Sedgy.png

Robb76
Robb76.png

Tailfire
Tailfire.png

nickolas
nickolas.png

Grahame Adams
Grahame Adams.png

Woodsy
Woodsy.png

Gpu
Gpu.png

SebasP
SebasP.png

GaryD
GaryD.png

Bogwoppit
Bogwoppit.png

Clydebuilt
Clydebuilt.png

Timmins
Timmins.png

pnut123
pnut123.png

Last edited:

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
First in best dressed?
E633C34C-071E-441A-8865-9F0EE15D1A47.jpeg

I‘m not and avid fly tier so don’t expect me to enter every month.
I’ve taken a bit of artistic license with the orange collar, hope it within the rules! I kept some peacock in the hackle despite Iain’s reservations, I like the stuff.
Tied this with Carrowmore Lake springtime for the top dropper in my mind, if we ever get out of lockdown it might get a swim.
Hook; Kamasan B175 heavy, size 8
Tag; fluoro glo brite claret
Tail; cock pheasant
Body; blue seals fur, not a colour I ever use but this came from an old box and is probably of the same vintage as when the original snow fly was first tied.
Body hackle; kingfisher blue
Rib; wide silver
Wing; green reindeer
Front hackle; peacock eye
’Collar’; roe deer dyed orange

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Hi Ian
As a newcomer I find this all very interesting.

I have a simple question:
When must entries be in by?
What is the closing date?

Cheers

Pete
Hi Pete, the deadline is midnight on the last day of the month and so there is no rush.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
First in best dressed?
View attachment 56189
I‘m not and avid fly tier so don’t expect me to enter every month.
I’ve taken a bit of artistic license with the orange collar, hope it within the rules! I kept some peacock in the hackle despite Iain’s reservations, I like the stuff.
Tied this with Carrowmore Lake springtime for the top dropper in my mind, if we ever get out of lockdown it might get a swim.
Hook; Kamasan B175 heavy, size 8
Tag; fluoro glo brite claret
Tail; cock pheasant
Body; blue seals fur, not a colour I ever use but this came from an old box and is probably of the same vintage as when the original snow fly was first tied.
Body hackle; kingfisher blue
Rib; wide silver
Wing; green reindeer
Front hackle; peacock eye
’Collar’; roe deer dyed orange

I certainly didn’t visualise something in that style but I really like that and it clearly has the colour scheme and a nod to the original design. Very inventive and a great opener! (y)

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Struggled with this TOTM - decided on something with a bit of presence in the cold water after tying on a single then a smaller tube 😂

Anyway, here it is:

1.25" Ali Tube
Tag and rib: Small Uni silver wire
Butt: Globrite #14 Blue floss
Body: Light Blue / Smolt Blue / Dark Blue krystal flash / Globrite #7 orange floss collar / Palmered KF blue hackle
Wing: Peacock swords - Highlander green buck - Peacock herl - Olive ripple flash (doesn't show up due to poor photo) - Green krystal flash
Hackle: Orange cock
Head: Fire Orange 8/0

IMAG7531.jpg

Cheers all
Cb

Timmins

Reaction score
Always loved reading all the tie of the months and now as I’ve started tying flies look forward to taking part and having something to look forward to at the start of every month with a new theme and challenge . Went for my favourite wee fly in a variation of the Beauly snow fly .
Happy tying everybody 👍. Hook nickel patriot 10
Tag silver oval tinsel
Tail orange pheasant tippet
Body blue holographic tinsel
Rib silver oval tinsel
Hackle orange hen
Underwing peacock neck
Flash 4 strands peacock angel hair
Wing chartreuse black tip fox
Head Pearl mirror flash
FD8A4F3D-9643-4260-891E-440EC6F1CB00.jpeg

pnut123

Reaction score
hi newbie here, glad i found this forum and the idea of a competition is brilliant, I just started really tying about a week ago dabbled into it a few years ago tying odd trout flies here and there, i hope i have read and understood the rules correctly.

double hook not sure on make was a random one in my box
tag- silver oval tinsel
rib- silver holographic stuff
body- blue dubbing that i stole from the wife's sewing kit
wing-peacock herle/lure flash i think its called
hackles-black and orange cock

totm.jpg

iainmortimer

Reaction score
hi newbie here, glad i found this forum and the idea of a competition is brilliant, I just started really tying about a week ago dabbled into it a few years ago tying odd trout flies here and there, i hope i have read and understood the rules correctly.

double hook not sure on make was a random one in my box
tag- silver oval tinsel
rib- silver holographic stuff
body- blue dubbing that i stole from the wife's sewing kit
wing-peacock herle/lure flash i think its called
hackles-black and orange cock

View attachment 56253
Welcome to the forum and the competition. It’s a great way to learn and improve your tying. You are off to a good start on one of the harder theme’s I’ve set so far and I look forward to seeing more (y)

Easer

Reaction score
Aaargh, I have no green wing-material, I have an idea of how to get around thát though, so no worries....;- )

Any way, in terms of the rules, there's one thing still unclear to me, when we vote, are we restricted to cast one vote, or can we vote for as many flies as we wish....?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Aaargh, I have no green wing-material, I have an idea of how to get around thát though, so no worries....;- )

Any way, in terms of the rules, there's one thing still unclear to me, when we vote, are we restricted to cast one vote, or can we vote for as many flies as we wish....?

You get one vote

Flow

Reaction score
Hello,
here is my first entry in a TOTM- competition. It‘s a littlebit scandistyle on a 25mm plastic tube. Had much fun to create this fly. I‘m looking forward to the next TOTM.

Tail: Antron fluo red
Body: Floss fluo green and blue, peacock herl, silver tinsel, crystal dub peacock, hen black
Wing: temple dog green and olive, angel hair peacock, herl from the eye of the tail of a peacock sword feather
Collar: Whiting spey hackle saddle orange

A60EB487-8067-4D71-B2F0-00F31A67D65E.jpeg

iainmortimer

Reaction score

You get one vote, you cannot see the results until you have placed your vote and once you have submitted your vote it cannot be changed. That is to remove any influence that may occur due to the perceived popularity (or unpopularity!) of each fly.

iainmortimer

Reaction score

Bear in mind that you can still use peacock herl, its just that you don't have to (y)

Bad_bastie

Reaction score
I've been away a while...Somebody told me about those great prizes up grabs so I came back on for a snoop. What's the story with posting pics? I take it I don' need Photobucket anymore :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: can just insert them straight into a post?

mows

Reaction score
I've been away a while...Somebody told me about those great prizes up grabs so I came back on for a snoop. What's the story with posting pics? I take it I don' need Photobucket anymore :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: can just insert them straight into a post?
You can just attach by clicking on the "attach files" on the bottom left.
It's a bit cumbersome and you can attach full or thumbnail.
I think the limit is still about 4.2mb per picture.
Screenshot_20210201-102431.png
Screenshot_20210201-102450.png
Screenshot_20210201-102502.png

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Yes easy as - just as well when it comes to me having to insert them all for the poll!! Clikc the little double photo icon, copy and past or just drag them from your desktop!

Zamora

Reaction score
Hi, here’s my entry, another scandi style (I’m actually Scandinavian so let that be excuse... ;))

Tag: flat large tinsel (one turn)
Ribs: oval gold tinsel md
Body: blue berlin wool brushed
Hackles: 1st blue hen, 2nd olive pheasant spey hackle, 3rd hot orange hen
Wing - under: blue & olive bucktail, middle: medium olive templedog & two strains of blue krinkle mirror flash, top: dark olive fox with black tops & four peacock herls. Jungle cocks
Cone: fits black
Tube: fits black medium & sx

0703DF93-74FF-434D-8068-9847ED2B3E8E.jpeg

Attachments

• A4C55237-447D-45AE-911E-28CDB1708B0B.jpeg
    A4C55237-447D-45AE-911E-28CDB1708B0B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116

SnapT14

Reaction score
Hi, here’s my entry, another scandi style (I’m actually Scandinavian so let that be excuse... ;))

Tag: flat large tinsel (one turn)
Ribs: oval gold tinsel md
Body: blue berlin wool brushed
Hackles: 1st blue hen, 2nd olive pheasant spey hackle, 3rd hot orange hen
Wing - under: blue & olive bucktail, middle: medium olive templedog & two strains of blue krinkle mirror flash, top: dark olive fox with black tops & four peacock herls. Jungle cocks
Cone: fits black
Tube: fits black medium & sx

View attachment 56292
Now that is nice......very nice!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
View attachment 56301
gold oval
silver embossed
blue mohair
black heron
peacock eye
orange mohair ruff

its one of my favourite classics so i had to go classic
I see so many photos (particularly in relation to steelhead) that look nothing like the original that its really good to see a 'proper' version. Beautifully put together as ever and while I'm no a fan of peacock wings I'm really pleased to see the classic, especially as it is tied so well.