• October: Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • November: Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 10 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I will put up a longer summary of the year as a separate post but for now, after what was neck and neck for a while the decision the masses (114 votes!) have decided on the fly of the year Due to my tardiness I'm sure you all know the result but just for the record...

1st place goes to DrPatrickT who eeked out a 4 vote lead to take the 10 points and what a popular fly it was both in the photograph and from the reports of fish it has taken from grateful recipients of the pattern.

2nd place goes to Spectrum Shrimp with 18 votes and the 8 points. I always wonder if its harder when you have two flies in the entry and so possibly split the vote but what a great couple of flies they were.

3rd place goes to Clydebuilt which earns the 7 points with just a one vote advantage. A technically difficult fly to pull off that would scare me to attempt for this competition!

So 2020 gone. A really rubbish year for many people but contrasted by the extremely high quality and presentation of the flies entered by every person, every month. Full summary to follow....

Just posted because I forgot to press the ‘post’ button and so found this still languishing in the edit section!
Great job Iain (y)

Andrew B

Reaction score
Cheers everyone - means a lot to get FOTY- and with a pattern I like. As per my comment on Iain’s summary - there are so many great tyers - there are flies in this list - and flies that never placed in the comps that are far better tied - so I’m very greatful to win - as Ryan has said it’s not just about technical competence but about flies that people see as fishable. Anyway, cheers again - well done Aodhan and ClydeBuilt - both beautiful flies - but also everyone who took part - and a big thanks and well done for steering us through the 2020 comp to Iain, much appreciated.

All the best, Patrick
Yeah I totally get what Ryan means here re other factors, cause if it was purely about technical side of things then Ryan’s Traherne fly would win outright imo.
That Clydebuilt one really is something so cool and pretty unique imo.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Just catching up as intenret access has been very limited on-board.

Firstly, thanks to Iain for keeping the TOTM running, always appreciated and please keep up the good work.

Secondly, thanks to each and every contributor, without you guys, it would indeed be a duller forum.

I am quite taken aback at the comments re: my own contributions, very humbled to be honest!!

The quality of flies put forward on the forum is what gives me inspiration and to see the likes of young Logans progression is simply fantastic.

So, thanks again for the comments, sharing all of your patterns and keeping the tying sections healthy.

Happy New Year and tightlines to you all.

Cheers

Cb

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Just catching up as intenret access has been very limited on-board.

Firstly, thanks to Iain for keeping the TOTM running, always appreciated and please keep up the good work.

Secondly, thanks to each and every contributor, without you guys, it would indeed be a duller forum.

I am quite taken aback at the comments re: my own contributions, very humbled to be honest!!

The quality of flies put forward on the forum is what gives me inspiration and to see the likes of young Logans progression is simply fantastic.

So, thanks again for the comments, sharing all of your patterns and keeping the tying sections healthy.

Happy New Year and tightlines to you all.

Cheers

Cb
Your fly was amazing mate, defo one of my favourites ever. like I said before I would love to give that a swing for the grilse.

Spectrum shrimp

Reaction score
Congratulations Dr Patrick winning FOTY well desevered and well done everyone else some cracking flies among them. Have to say I've enjoyed entering the comp past few months. Happy new year

I will put up a longer summary of the year as a separate post but for now, after what was neck and neck for a while the decision the masses (114 votes!) have decided on the fly of the year Due to my tardiness I'm sure you all know the result but just for the record...

1st place goes to DrPatrickT who eeked out a 4 vote lead to take the 10 points and what a popular fly it was both in the photograph and from the reports of fish it has taken from grateful recipients of the pattern.

2nd place goes to Spectrum Shrimp with 18 votes and the 8 points. I always wonder if its harder when you have two flies in the entry and so possibly split the vote but what a great couple of flies they were.

3rd place goes to Clydebuilt which earns the 7 points with just a one vote advantage. A technically difficult fly to pull off that would scare me to attempt for this competition!

So 2020 gone. A really rubbish year for many people but contrasted by the extremely high quality and presentation of the flies entered by every person, every month. Full summary to follow....

Just posted because I forgot to press the ‘post’ button and so found this still languishing in the edit section!
Thank you Iain much appreciated and thanks for running TOTM I enjoyed entering past few months. Roll on a great 2021 season especially after the crap year we all have had tight lines and happy New year Aodhan 🎣👍

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
Congratulations to Dr T. I hope he wouldn't mind me saying, in the circumstances, he is a narrow primus inter pars among many superb tiers. So well done to them to all. Finally, thank you to Ian for all the organisation for what is a very worthy endeavour.

Regards

NHP

Rennie

Reaction score
I have to say the std. makes my puny efforts look shambolic!, at the very least.
Being bluntly honest, I'd pay for any of those flee's over a counter no problem at all!. Dr Patrick T-very much a worthy winner and I'd say an ever evolving tyer!, with highly likely better still to come!. Absolutely wow'd by mcandy's tying, no flaming idea what is is, but if I can't fathom it, then surely Salar has no option other than to gob it to find out either!.
For me and for the greatest of reason's in that I'd buy it and fish it and would expect it to solve a lot of problems for a hitch/wake flee it'd be Clydebuilts tying. Innovative, well tied and I can see it being deadly effective and would help and give confidence to any Angler wishing to fish a wake flee!.
Mucho back patting to Ian M. for the work and effort in running the comp, no easy task and at times thankless!.
I however would love to see a comedy section for next year, I'd have a chance at winning that!.
With the greatest of respect and admiration, Pedro.

mc andy

Reaction score
I have to say the std. makes my puny efforts look shambolic!, at the very least.
Being bluntly honest, I'd pay for any of those flee's over a counter no problem at all!. Dr Patrick T-very much a worthy winner and I'd say an ever evolving tyer!, with highly likely better still to come!. Absolutely wow'd by mcandy's tying, no flaming idea what is is, but if I can't fathom it, then surely Salar has no option other than to gob it to find out either!.
For me and for the greatest of reason's in that I'd buy it and fish it and would expect it to solve a lot of problems for a hitch/wake flee it'd be Clydebuilts tying. Innovative, well tied and I can see it being deadly effective and would help and give confidence to any Angler wishing to fish a wake flee!.
Mucho back patting to Ian M. for the work and effort in running the comp, no easy task and at times thankless!.
I however would love to see a comedy section for next year, I'd have a chance at winning that!.
With the greatest of respect and admiration, Pedro.
It was tied as a bit of fun Pedro :)
Meant to be the corona virus itself. ;). Just case you think I'd lost my marbels!

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_211144.jpg
    IMG_20200401_211144.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19