• October: Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • November: Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 10 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

offshore

Reaction score
I would fish with Perrypokers as a first choice, but voted for Clydebuilt. That is the fly I would find hardest to reproduce - I would just give up. The others I could attempt to create a 2 out ten version, that would be just about recognizable as the same pattern. The two least pretty have grabbed me.

mc andy

Reaction score
This was a difficult choice but I had to give the nod to Clydebuilt for the shear uniqueness of that mini tube. The others were all wonderful to the eye but the spun deer hair mini showed me something I'd never seen let alone imagined .

Go CB!
I'm inclined to agree with your thought process ard! Something very unique about it, which isn't easy to create given the amount of patterns we have today. So Clydebuilt gets my vote.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
I’d like to thoroughly congratulate all the lads(ladies if any) on a brilliant display of fly tying,everyone IS a work of art,it honestly is,there is without question,that these lads have a set of extraordinary skill sets and patience , and I for one love looking at em over and over.A big well done from me lads,brilliant........ jimmy.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
OMG😱 I’ve spent 58 minutes going over and over,them and imho it’s ryan Houston by a short nose from clydebuilt. Ryan gets my vote as I’ve caught so many fish on this fly in Ireland (bann , roe , bush , Finn, when I lived over on the island for a while , and it’s also one of my first go to fly’s in my box back home in Scotland,clydebuilts fly is a belter of a fly that “I KNOW FOR SURE” I’d get a fish with, but as one of the boys said I’d be proud to put any of those fly’s in my box👍 PS Brilliant to see all the regular lads on this vote👍

keirstream

Reaction score
Well, this has taken quite a bit of time to come to a decision.
The quality on show is testament to the superb standards of fine fly tying on show in this forum.
Well done to all of you, more power to your fingers and imaginations. (y)
To think also of the excellent tiers sitting on the bench who don't enter, the strength of the squad is impressive indeed.
I'm thinking rotonone and kgm for starters. Both immensely creative tiers and it's a shame we don't see them on this thread.
Anyway, as many a football manager has said, you can only play what is provided in front of you. So------------------------
I would happily fish with Logan's tube all autumn in every river I fish. It's all I would ever want in a back end fly. Perfect.
This is where the themes kind of exclude some brilliant ties for me as I am looking for a fly that I would fish all year in decent
conditions and expect to catch. Jockie Scott and Spectrum Shrimp's October tie are up there in joint 2nd place.
But, my overall winner is to be expected if you have seen my previous comments on his entries. Need a bit of blue in the throat.
So, step up to the podium Dr. Patrick T. with your fine February creation, inspired no doubt in the Black Country by the Devilish Duo.
Have a large dram of Fettercairn Dr. P.(y)(y)(y)(y)

SnapT14

Reaction score
Dr P for me, a bit of spring, summer and autumn all in one. A very, very good Ghillie.

Well done to everyone for the fantastic ties produced. Have a great Chrimbo and a very happy new year.

IMG-20201219-WA0007.jpg

Walleye

Reaction score
I voted last week and it was so difficult I can't even remember which one I voted for in the end. Great competition this year. Well done to Ian Mortimer and all the fantastic flies presented all year long.

GaryD

Reaction score
Another fanastic competition, Iain deserves a huge round of applause for taking over the mantle and keeping it going.
The quality of entries is exceptional but Ryan's classic wins it for me, a really beautiful fly, with Logan not far behind thanks to some expert guidance - one to watch for future competitions👍🏻
I haven't taken part so much this year and probably won't manage much next year, but look forward to seeing what 2021 holds!

keirstream

Reaction score
Well done Patrick, that's why I chose you as my best man
Hehehehe. That's as shallow as the Garden Pool is now on the Teith since the huge influx of gravel.:D
Just so he could keep you supplied with Ghillies.:rolleyes:
Seriously though, well done and well deserved Dr. P.
If I ever get married again I'll have you as Best Man too, as long as you send me some Ghillies.
It's a stunner.(y)(y)

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Cheers everyone - means a lot to get FOTY- and with a pattern I like. As per my comment on Iain’s summary - there are so many great tyers - there are flies in this list - and flies that never placed in the comps that are far better tied - so I’m very greatful to win - as Ryan has said it’s not just about technical competence but about flies that people see as fishable. Anyway, cheers again - well done Aodhan and ClydeBuilt - both beautiful flies - but also everyone who took part - and a big thanks and well done for steering us through the 2020 comp to Iain, much appreciated.

All the best, Patrick

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I will put up a longer summary of the year as a separate post but for now, after what was neck and neck for a while the decision the masses (114 votes!) have decided on the fly of the year Due to my tardiness I'm sure you all know the result but just for the record...

1st place goes to DrPatrickT who eeked out a 4 vote lead to take the 10 points and what a popular fly it was both in the photograph and from the reports of fish it has taken from grateful recipients of the pattern.

2nd place goes to Spectrum Shrimp with 18 votes and the 8 points. I always wonder if its harder when you have two flies in the entry and so possibly split the vote but what a great couple of flies they were.

3rd place goes to Clydebuilt which earns the 7 points with just a one vote advantage. A technically difficult fly to pull off that would scare me to attempt for this competition!

So 2020 gone. A really rubbish year for many people but contrasted by the extremely high quality and presentation of the flies entered by every person, every month. Full summary to follow....

Just posted because I forgot to press the ‘post’ button and so found this still languishing in the edit section!