• October: Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • November: Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 10 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
So here we are the end of 2020 and what a year it was! Who would have thought that some interloper would take over such a prestigious competition and yet despite the change, that the standard of tying and photography would continue to improve!

As a result, this tie of the year vote is going to be one of the toughest yet with an amazingly fine set of flies that takes you from the truly classic to the most modern of dressings, from the highest spate to the thinnest water you could imagine fishing and from skating across the surface to plumbing the deepest pool. Whatever your reason for selection I hope that while perusing these offerings you raise a wee dram in honour of all the fine offerings made every month for you to enjoy, to use a reference in future and hopefully to copy with success.

I raise my own glass and wish luck to all those entered for TIE OF THE YEAR 🍻

February: a Scotsman at Heart.
Silverseeker
FEB Silverseeker[ (1).jpg

DrPatrickT
FEB Silverseeker[ (2).JPG

March: An Apostle of Ireland
Ryan Houston
MAR Ryan Houston[1].png

April: We're in Lockdown - Improvise!
mc andy
APR mc andy.png

May: Light at the end of the Tunnel
LouisCha
MAY LouisCha.jpg

June: Bit of a Drought in Tying
Jockiescott
JUN Jockiescott.jpg

July: Mostly Afloat
Clydebuilt
JUL Clydebuilt.png

August: Behind every great man
Ryan Houston
AUG Ryan Houston.png

September: Going round in circles
Logan Houston
SEP Logan Houston.png

PerryPoker
SEP PerryPoker.png

October: What does your Willie look like?
Spectrum Shrimp
OCT Spectrum shrimp.png

November: A double date
Spectrum Shrimp
1608238346221.png

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
I must have missed April's with the chaos of trying to get out of Singapore.
I'd love to try out McAndys fly!!!
I don't think I could put Ryan's work of art in the water.
Dr Ps would be first on my line.
Jockys low water would be on my dropper every day
Spectrum Shrimps double is the prettiest pair of fishing flies I've seen.
Some brilliant skills on display.
Some new entrants this year that have been superb.
The standard just gets better.
Well done to all the tiers.
What a difficult choice!!!!!
I've loved seeing your creations.
And especially well done to Iain.
Not an easy task taking over the batton from Grassy, but you've managed seemlesly, with some great themes.
Thank you and well done Sir!!!!!

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
This is a bit like the BBC Sports Personality of the Year where you would rather vote for someone that hasn't been entered, in my case for this vote the Oyster Catcher that bankwheel has just tied or the UK style banana fly that rotenone tied in March. But I would happily fish with Jockiescott's fly all year so he gets my vote.

mows

Reaction score
The problem is, that without comments, the page doesn't get brought up in new posts and as such there is only a tiny number of votes.

charlieH

Reaction score
This was a tough decision, and there is some very skilled tying on show. But as always, my decision was based on the fact that this is a salmon fishing forum rather than a purely fly tying one, so my choice was based on practical application - that's to say, the one I would be most likely to tie on the end of my line. Well done to all, though, for a really excellent and inspiring lineup.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
There's not one of them fly's I would hesitate to put on the end of my line and not
expect it to go tight with a fish on 🎣 I reckon andy's corona fly would definitely take a few rainbows 🎣
The quality of fly's throughout the year has been absolutely fantastic 😎 a big well done to everyone who partisipated πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘‹ the final vote fly's are exceptional πŸ‘Œ and picking a winner not easy

My vote is going to logan Houston πŸ‘πŸ» love his Calvin's conehead 🎣 and all your other fly's that have been posted 😎, for such a young lad to be tying to such a great standard is absolutely fantastic πŸ‘πŸ» so well done young manπŸ‘πŸ‘ and keep getting your old man to post up your tyings πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ»

Arnold

Last edited:

AlanT

Reaction score
Great to see that every entry has at least one vote. I voted for LouisCha this time, love the blend of colours and shape πŸ‘

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
There's not one i wouldn't fish in confidence well maybe Andys monster but would give it a go for the stockies and I would have Ryan's on my wall in a glass frame not on my line.
I wouldn't dare want to get it wet haha.
Forgot to give clydebuilt some extra credit for his micro muddler
Dam that looks good.
I would love to give that a swing on the Helmsdale in the summer for the grilse

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Spectrum shrimps flies always really impress me.
I would be terrified to use Ryan's fly of absolute beauty.
Dr. P got my vote as he was kind enough to send me that very fly earlier this year and it produced the goodies for me as did a couple others of his.
Consistently quality tying.
That thing of beauty has over a hundred bats worth of materials in it lol. Can take years to gather the bits to make the Traherne flies.

Andrew B

Reaction score
There's not one of them fly's I would hesitate to put on the end of my line and not
expect it to go tight with a fish on 🎣 I reckon andy's corona fly would definitely take a few rainbows 🎣
The quality of fly's throughout the year has been absolutely fantastic 😎 a big well done to everyone who partisipated πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘‹ the final vote fly's are exceptional πŸ‘Œ and picking a winner not easy

My vote is going to logan Houston πŸ‘πŸ» love his Calvin's conehead 🎣 and all your other fly's that have been posted 😎, for such a young lad to be tying to such a great standard is absolutely fantastic πŸ‘πŸ» so well done young manπŸ‘πŸ‘ and keep getting your old man to post up your tyings πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ»

Arnold

Incredible as Logan can’t be very old? Chip off the old block.

mc andy

Reaction score
There's not one i wouldn't fish in confidence well maybe Andys monster but would give it a go for the stockies and I would have Ryan's on my wall in a glass frame not on my line.
I wouldn't dare want to get it wet haha.
Forgot to give clydebuilt some extra credit for his micro muddler
Dam that looks good.
I would love to give that a swing on the Helmsdale in the summer for the grilse
No feelers though ;) :unsure: :)