POLL: Tie of the Month October: 'Ghoulies and Ghosties and Long Leggedy Beasties'

Who tied your favourite three flies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lee95

Reaction score
My entry for the comp- The black knight

Attachments

• IMG-20211003-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211003-WA0003.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 111

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Cracking entries so far, was thinking of a Ghost Shrimp but two great versions submitted already so tried something different. This is variant of a steelhead fly called the Winter Jack O' Lantern, but tied in a more Speyish style.

Hook Alec Jackson #3
Tag gold wire
Tail red dyed tippet
Body back third gold floss, front two thirds orange floss
Rib gold oval
Body hackle burnt orange heron from 3rd turn of rib
1st Hackle black heron
2nd Hackle large guinea fowl
Wing orange goose
Head red

Pic is (as usual) poor, will try for a better one later (the camera doesn't like the orange wing).

View attachment 66470

That's a stunner Gary! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Andrew B

Reaction score
Cracking entries so far, was thinking of a Ghost Shrimp but two great versions submitted already so tried something different. This is variant of a steelhead fly called the Winter Jack O' Lantern, but tied in a more Speyish style.

Hook Alec Jackson #3
Tag gold wire
Tail red dyed tippet
Rib gold oval
1st Hackle black heron
Wing orange goose
Head red

Pic is (as usual) poor, will try for a better one later (the camera doesn't like the orange wing).

View attachment 66479
Superb fly. Canโ€™t think why Iโ€™ve never actually fished with a Spey fly as I could see a fly like this taking fish esp on days when the fish have seen all the cascade type flies.

SnapT14

Reaction score
Cracker!!! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Can I just say that no matter how stunningly beautifully that anyone ties a fly of the above name, or variants thereof, the Liverpool fan in me will not allow me to vote for them!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

That is a great bit of tying Flow! ๐Ÿ‘
Typical Liverpool fan. There's only one true red team in the Premier league.....๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

United, United, United

SnapT14

Reaction score

Hook Alec Jackson #3
Tag gold wire
Tail red dyed tippet
Rib gold oval
1st Hackle black heron
Wing orange goose
Head red

View attachment 66479
Strange you say that, I struggle to take photos of anything orange ๐Ÿค”

GaryD

Reaction score
Superb fly. Canโ€™t think why Iโ€™ve never actually fished with a Spey fly as I could see a fly like this taking fish esp on days when the fish have seen all the cascade type flies.
Cheers Andrew ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

idbflytye

Reaction score
My variant of a scandi fly called the Olive Phantom.
Small eumer tubing
Tail is chartreuse fox and Angel hair
Medium brass cone for a body
Wing is chartreuse fox, under chartreuse angel hair, under olive finn racoon, under green angel hair, under long black fox , under peacock angel hair, and finally under peacock herl.
Then olive soft hackle.
Jungle cock .
Soft green dyed grizzle.
Head is 6mm chartreuse drainer disc

Attachments

• 20211003_211116.jpg
    20211003_211116.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98

iainmortimer

Reaction score

Hook Alec Jackson #3
Tag gold wire
Tail red dyed tippet
Rib gold oval
1st Hackle black heron
Wing orange goose
Head red

View attachment 66479
Now that dressing is worthy of Saville Row! What a stunner ๐Ÿ˜

Easer

Reaction score

Hook Alec Jackson #3
Tag gold wire
Tail red dyed tippet
Rib gold oval
1st Hackle black heron
Wing orange goose
Head red

View attachment 66479
Beautiful one, but really just want to say that the reason that the camera doesn't like the wing is that (judging by the light on the background >) the light is warm yellow, and thรกt make the orange wing burn out/become overexposed, as it reflects more of the light than what the rest of the fly etc does....
-The solution is to take the image in neutral light, eventually slightly blue light....

Bjarke

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I must start by saying that there are already some stupendous offerings so far this month.....
I love the word "stupendous" ๐Ÿคฃ

My entry to this seasonal challenge is

๐ŸŽƒ ๐Ÿ‘ป๐Ÿ˜ฑ The 'UNDERTAKER' ๐Ÿ˜ฑ ๐Ÿ‘ป ๐ŸŽƒ

View attachment 66510

I now remember why I absolutely hate using squirrel tail in my flies........ grrrrrr!

Instructions
Hook - size 8 Mustad tying single
Tag - small oval gold
Green and red butt - globrite floss over white thread
Body - wound peacock herl
Rib - small oval gold
Hack - black hen
Wing - black fox squirrel
Thread- Black UTC ultra
3 x coats of varnish

This was quite a technical little number to get right, especially as I've never tied one before but I'm reasonably happy overall...

I may change my entry if I happen to dream up anything more scary..... ๐Ÿ˜จ๐Ÿคก๐Ÿ‘น ...
Kids Halloween party at the DEATH may get my creative JUICES flowing....... booooooo....ha...ha..ha..ha..ha! ๐Ÿง›โ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿฆ‡

Good luck all! ๐Ÿ˜‡

Class sir!!! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

I really don't know why peacock bodies are not used more often. They have such a lovely effect.

SnapT14

Reaction score
Class sir!!! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

I really don't know why peacock bodies are not used more often. They have such a lovely effect.
Cheers Jockie.....

I also like the natural highlight it gives to the body. Not the scariest of flies though.....

My temper trying to stop the shiny squirrel slipping was more in keeping with a horror film......๐Ÿ˜‚

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Cheers Jockie.....

I also like the natural highlight it gives to the body. Not the scariest of flies though.....

My temper trying to stop the shiny squirrel slipping was more in keeping with a horror film......๐Ÿ˜‚

A wee dab a superglue on the thread before tying in the squirrel ๐Ÿ‘ cracking fly Nathan ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Fruin

Reaction score
Was going to do a Fairy Queen but, as I was sorting out some heron feathers this evening it ocurred to me that a Moonlight would also fit the theme. I hate the vertical kingfisher/cotinga veilings onthis fly ( they just look odd!)... so, I went with a wound kingfisher blue hackle in their place.
20211005_122235.jpg

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Cheers Arnold. Thats what I normally do to be honest but you know when you get those days when you know better but still choose to do it another way...?

Well, I've had one of those today! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Starting to forget what day's like that are like it's been that long ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ