POLL: Tie of the Month October: 'Ghoulies and Ghosties and Long Leggedy Beasties'

Who tied your favourite three flies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ypres

Reaction score
I may get in with the Ghost Shrimp variant before someone else does!!! ☺️

View attachment 66368

I'm going to try another attempt and may replace this picture but it will remain a variant of the Ghost Shrimp. A slightly more modern variant with Glo brite replacing hackle tips for veilings.

Tied as follows:

Tag: Oval silver
Tail: GP Red Breast
Rear body: yellow floss
Rib: Oval silver
Veilings: Glo brite No. 5
Mid hackle: white cock
Front body: Black floss
Wings: Jungle Cock
Front hackle: silver badger
Head: Varnished Black thread
A brilliant tie. I actually really studied that one but decided to KISS And not show myself up.
Len
PS Keep it simple stupid

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A brilliant tie. I actually really studied that one but decided to KISS And not show myself up.
Len
PS Keep it simple stupid

I actually went the other way. I had intended to tie a golden demon until I saw yours so then thought of the ghost shrimp instead!!! 😂

Woodsy

Reaction score

View attachment 66368

I'm going to try another attempt and may replace this picture but it will remain a variant of the Ghost Shrimp. A slightly more modern variant with Glo brite replacing hackle tips for veilings.

Tied as follows:

Dammit, beat me to it 😂 done last night but haven't had a chance to finish head and photograph it 🤦

Lovely looking fly!

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Dammit, beat me to it 😂 done last night but haven't had a chance to finish head and photograph it 🤦

Lovely looking fly!

Get it on woodsy. 👍

I'm sure before we're finished there'll be a few different versions of some patterns. 🙂

Spectrum shrimp

Reaction score

View attachment 66368

Tied as follows:

Lovely tying jockie top notch 👌🏻....was the first fly came to mind also 🎣👍🏻

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Lovely tying jockie top notch 👌🏻....was the first fly came to mind also 🎣👍🏻

Thanks sir! 👍

This is the first ghost shrimp I've tied and had to check the dressing. Good job I did or I would have tied a silver shrimp. 😊

I really must tie one with hackle points, even if only for a frame or something. It is a lovely pattern.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I think I will change my previous entry as many couldn't see the photo 🤣 good sport folks 👍

When I first read the theme. this is the fly I thought of.. @Jockiescott beat me to it with a cracker modern version but I hope you don't mind me submitting this as I had tied it on Friday but only got a chance to varnish the head last night and photograph today.

Another reason I thought of this fly is that Halloween originated in Ireland, so an Irish shrimp seems fitting. Collraw killer did cross my mind too though.

The Bann Special is one of my favourite flies and this it very similar so it will definitely get a swim next season.

Irish Ghost Shrimp Variant

Hook: size 10 patriot
Tag: oval silver
Tail: GP breast
rear rob: oval silver
Mid veilings: back to back hot orange hackle tips top and bottom
Mid hackle: silver badger cock
Front body: black floss
Front rib: oval silver
Front veilings: back to back hot orange hackle tips top and bottom
Front hackle: silver badger cock
JC in front fort a change

ghost.JPG

westie4566

Reaction score
I think I will change my previous entry as many couldn't see the photo 🤣 good sport folks 👍

When I first read the theme. this is the fly I thought of.. @Jockiescott beat me to it with a cracker modern version but I hope you don't mind me submitting this as I had tied it on Friday but only got a chance to varnish the head last night and photograph today.

Another reason I thought of this fly is that Halloween originated in Ireland, so an Irish shrimp seems fitting. Collraw killer did cross my mind too though.

The Bann Special is one of my favourite flies and this it very similar so it will definitely get a swim next season.

View attachment 66435
Stunning!

Jockiescott

Reaction score

View attachment 66435

Lovely!!! 👌

I wish I'd went with hackle points now!!! 🙈

SnapT14

Reaction score

View attachment 66435
Another beautifully tied Irish shrimp Woodsy 👍👍

Spectrum shrimp

Reaction score

View attachment 66435
Excellent seán that's a cracker 👌🏻🎣

Andrew B

Reaction score

View attachment 66368

Tied as follows:

Oh man how I like this one. Superbly tied both visually and more importantly a certain killer of salmon (rather outdated saying but you get the gist).

Andrew B

Reaction score

View attachment 66435
As Westie already said......simply stunning and I’m always a sucker for red heads. Also maybe I’m being pedantic but how is it, that Badger hackles either plain or dyed, just make such a difference as oppose to a plain hackle lol.

Andrew B

Reaction score
My memory of the classic flies has deserted me, albeit I’ve a feeling there were a whole bunch of ghost, demon n fairy named flies, maybe the odd Goblin ricking about as well.
All of the Irish flies would be a good place to start, what with all the folklore and copious amounts of Guinness🤔

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Oh man how I like this one. Superbly tied both visually and more importantly a certain killer of salmon (rather outdated saying but you get the gist).

As I said earlier, it's not a fly I've tied before, never mind fished. I really like how it looks so will definitely have a few in different sizes for the grilse next season.

It definitely looks like a proper fish catching pattern.

It must be a really old pattern too as it is listed in Malone's book of Irish flies. In it, the pattern uses 'old gold floss' for the rear body and toucan veilings. It was modernised then to use more modern, more readily available, materials.

Andrew B

Reaction score
As I said earlier, it's not a fly I've tied before, never mind fished. I really like how it looks so will definitely have a few in different sizes for the grilse next season.

It definitely looks like a proper fish catching pattern.

It must be a really old pattern too as it is listed in Malone's book of Irish flies. In it, the pattern uses 'old gold floss' for the rear body and toucan veilings. It was modernised then to use more modern, more readily available, materials.
Yes you’re right it is in the Malone book. Must be one of the first shrimp patterns as generally speaking Toucan went out of use a long time ago Anyway. Love the chapter on Michael Rogan in that book, where it said his flies were like jewels in the water.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Stunning!
Lovely!!! 👌

I wish I'd went with hackle points now!!! 🙈
Another beautifully tied Irish shrimp Woodsy 👍👍
Excellent seán that's a cracker 👌🏻🎣
As Westie already said......simply stunning and I’m always a sucker for red heads. Also maybe I’m being pedantic but how is it, that Badger hackles either plain or dyed, just make such a difference as oppose to a plain hackle lol.
Thanks very much for the kind words lads, much appreciated 👍

iainmortimer

Reaction score
This is already shaping up to be another month for which all the votes will definitely be needed. A stunning set of openers from everyone!

Andrew B

Reaction score
my entry this month - a Red Devil Franc ‚N‘ Snelda variant

Tail - red calv tail, red fox, crystal flash red, wild boar red
Body - brass tube, red wool, oval silver tinsel
Cheeks - jungle cock
Collar - red hen

View attachment 66438
Cor that’s a beautiful fly. The pic on the leaf says it all about it being very much an Autumn fly👏

Jockiescott

Reaction score
my entry this month - a Red Devil Franc ‚N‘ Snelda variant

Tail - red calv tail, red fox, crystal flash red, wild boar red
Body - brass tube, red wool, oval silver tinsel
Cheeks - jungle cock
Collar - red hen

View attachment 66438

Cracker!!! 👌

Can I just say that no matter how stunningly beautifully that anyone ties a fly of the above name, or variants thereof, the Liverpool fan in me will not allow me to vote for them!!! 😉😂

That is a great bit of tying Flow! 👍

Andrew B

Reaction score
Cracker!!! 👌

Can I just say that no matter how stunningly beautifully that anyone ties a fly of the above name, or variants thereof, the Liverpool fan in me will not allow me to vote for them!!! 😉😂

That is a great bit of tying Flow! 👍
I’m pretty sure Satan pre Dates Manchester United and the game of football in any case😜

GaryD

Reaction score
Cracking entries so far, was thinking of a Ghost Shrimp but two great versions submitted already so tried something different.

Changed Entry! (30th Oct)
Decided I preferred the original Winter Jack O' Lantern rather than the longer spey version I'd entered.

Hook Alec Jackson #3
Tag gold tinsel
Tail red hackle fibres
Body back 1/3rd golden floss, front 2/3rds orange floss
Rib gold flat tinsel
Body hackle orange cock over front 2/3rds
1st Hackle black marabou
2nd Hackle large guinea fowl
Wing orange goose
Head black

3B1192F7-9A72-48DB-88A9-4B1823DA7F7A.jpeg

Last edited: