POLL: Tie of the Month October: 'Ghoulies and Ghosties and Long Leggedy Beasties'

Who tied your favourite three flies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to Tie of the Month
October 2021

This months theme: 👻 Ghoulies and Ghosties and Long Leggedy Beasties' 👻

A traditional Scottish prayer:
From ghoulies and ghosties and long leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night;
Good Lord deliver us!

I can remember my parents quoting that phrase. I also recall reading many a book of ghost stories that incorporated the same phrase and so as this month will see many people scrounging for sweets during Halloween, I'm not a fan, the phrase sprang to mind when I was pondering this months theme. Is it really a Scottish traditional prayer in the way that I think of something as traditional to a country? I'm not so sure and so I decided to do some research which seems to prove that my doubts were well placed.

The earliest form of this phrase seems to originate in Africa. That was recorded in 1918 in the Bulletin of the School Oriental and African Studies and reads "to a people...who...believe in genii, ghosts, goblins, and those terrific things that 'go bump in the night', protective charms are eagerly sought for". Then it appears in the litany of Cornish church in 1926. That made me wonder if the phrase had transferred across to the UK during the years of slave trade although the oldest mention I could find was from an unsigned review of How I know that the dead return, by William Thomas Stead which was published in The Los Angeles Times, Sunday 10th October 1909: No more spook propaganda for me. No books on goblins, long-leggety ghosties, or things that go bump in the night, will find a reader in me. As an aside William Thomas Stead died in 1912 as a passenger on the Titanic.

Specifically in relation to Scotland, things that go bump in the night occurred as an independent phrase from one of the unconnected paragraphs making up the column 'Notes—Mainly Personal', in the Evening Telegraph and Post (Dundee, Angus, Scotland) of Wednesday 17th January 1912. I then got bored having satisfied my shallow level of intrigue!

Anyway, back to the point (although maybe we need a ghost stories thread :unsure:) which is to set a theme. As this prayer has stuck with me, that will be the theme or to put that into fly tying terms; to tie a fly which has been named in a way that directly relates to Halloween. That name should be obvious and so for example it might have demon, witch, wizard, faerie, black cat, spell, magic or pumpkin as all or part of the name AND they must be published patterns that can be found in a book or internet search i.e. no making up a pattern and naming it yourself!

SPECIFIC GUIDANCE
  • The fly must be a recognised salmon pattern with a name that obviously fits in with Halloween. Other than that there are no restrictions.

ENTRIES

Beel
Beel.png

Jockiescott
Jockiescott.png

Mattytree
Mattytree.png

idbflytye
idbflytye.png

Sedgy
Sedgy.png

iainmortimer
iainmortimer.png

Timmins
Timmins.png

nwsalar
nwsalar.png

SnapT14
SnapT14.png

SebasP
SebasP.png

Fruin
Fruin.png

Andrzej
Andrzej.png

Woodsy
Woodsy.png

Easer
Easer.png

tcorfey
tcorfey.png

SalmoNewf
SalmoNewf.png

Tony Mac
Tony Mac.png

Nigel Passmore
Nigel Passmore.png

Flow
Flow.png

Gavinmcc
Gavinmcc.png

westie4566
westie4566.png

Tailfire
Tailfire.png

Spectrum Shrimp
Spectrum Shrimp.png

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.png

GaryD
GaryD.png

Lee95
Lee95.png

Stephenb91
1635810336876.jpeg

Ypres
1635810420516.jpeg

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
The title scared me a bit Iain. "... Long leggedy beasties". I had visions of flies with rubber legs or something!!! 😂

Did a quick search there and there are plenty of flies out there to fit in this month and it should be another cracker!!! 😁

Fruin

Reaction score
Good theme! The obvious one would be the famous Ghost Fly series by Blacker, but, I don't fancy mortgaging my house to buy the Quetzal feathers...
ghost fly.jpg

Just to be ultra clear - this is not my entry as I have never tied a Ghost fly. I believe Ryan Houston has tied it in the past; maybe we'll see one from him in this months comp.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Good theme! The obvious one would be the famous Ghost Fly series by Blacker, but, I don't fancy mortgaging my house to buy the Quetzal feathers...
View attachment 66287

Just to be ultra clear - this is not my entry as I have never tied a Ghost fly. I believe Ryan Houston has tied it in the past; maybe we'll see one from him in this months comp.

Definitely a Halloween themed thread as Fruin just scared the bejesus out of me with that one. 😱

I was kinda glad to hear it wasn't actually his entry!!! ☺️

I definitely hold those who can tie things like that in such high regard.

Last edited:

ryan houston

Reaction score
View attachment 66287

i was looking at the fairy king or queen but you have inspired me

Fruin

Reaction score
i was looking at the fairy king or queen but you have inspired me
Yeah, funnily enough I was also thinking of the Fairy King or Queen. There must be other classics with a suitable name as well. I might have a look through some of the old books!

It is on my radar to tie the Blacker Ghost flies at some point but, not yet!

I suppose there is also the Spirit fly.

ryan houston

Reaction score
Yeah, funnily enough I was also thinking of the Fairy King or Queen. There must be other classics with a suitable name as well. I might have a look through some of the old books!

It is on my radar to tie the Blacker Ghost flies at some point but, not yet!

I suppose there is also the Spirit fly.
id say the ghost is easier than the spirit

Andrew B

Reaction score
View attachment 66287

Based on Two actual antique flies that someone owns. I’m not sure there was ever any actual Pattern found attributing em to Blacker, albeit I would guess them to be from him given the materials.
Ryan did tie these, which speaks for his skill as a tyer.
Speaking of Quetzals? One of my first ever purchases at auction was a large broken glass dome with two Quetzals inside with so many feathers littering the floor. Fortunately there were still a good number of the covert feathers. Check out the Arabian Bustard n all lol.

Andrew B

Reaction score
id say the ghost is easier than the spirit
I thought you’d done these Ryan. Which was the Spirit fly?
What was the name of the Traherne fly with Western Tragopan in it, seem to remember you getting a good deal on a full bird round about the time when I had one?

Andrew B

Reaction score
I’d be buzzing to see if some of the Ribble rods could tie up and make a “Pendle Witch” fly? As I must of heard about this fly so many times in Fred’s Ribble reports and have still never seen one lol.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
The CandyMan Cascade. Warning (don't say it 5 times in the mirror) .
I really like that Lee. Not a pattern I’ve seen before but seriously eye catching. I love the colour combinations.

As already said that is well worth a better photo if you can get it to really show it off.

👉 Please also note the rule that only one photo is allowed and so you do need to delete one of them 👈

Timmins

Reaction score
Well there could only be one fly for me in ghousties n ghoulies . I’m sure we’ve all got one of these I call this one the mother in law . My take on the frodin witch

silver TTT no body
Lime green inner tube
Hot green angel HD
Lime green polar bear
Hot green angel hair
Lime green black tip fox
Silver angel hair
Black fox
Lime green soft hackle
Black soft hackle
Jc
Black thread head
ACB81A00-3930-4D70-956B-50C3697B045D.jpeg

Last edited:

SnapT14

Reaction score
I may get in with the Ghost Shrimp variant before someone else does!!! ☺️

View attachment 66368

I'm going to try another attempt and may replace this picture but it will remain a variant of the Ghost Shrimp. A slightly more modern variant with Glo brite replacing hackle tips for veilings.

Tied as follows:

Tag: Oval silver
Tail: GP Red Breast
Rear body: yellow floss
Rib: Oval silver
Veilings: Glo brite No. 5
Mid hackle: white cock
Front body: Black floss
Rib: Oval silver
Veilings: Glo brite No. 5
Wings: Jungle Cock
Front hackle: silver badger
Head: Varnished Black thread
The master is back......

Beautifully proportioned Irish shrimp Jockie. As I've said 1000 times, very fishy fly yet again and will take some beating for sure 👌👌👌👌👌