POLL: Tie of the Month - October 2020: What does your willie look like?

Who tied your favourite fly

• Ryan Houston

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Stephenb91

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • SpectrumShrimp

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Tailfire

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • onelastcast

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • SalmoSam84

• johnboysflys

• rotenone

• Clydebuilt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mcandy

• nigel passmore

• SnapT14

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • iainmortimer

• nwsalar

• doublehooked

• DrPatrickT

• nickolas

• Greys007

• PerryPoker

• TayRaider

• Boogie

• willmorris

• Woodsy

• tonymccann99

• Grassy_Knollington

• Andrzej

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • JockieScott

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • billy fish

• logan houston

• Wormo

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stephenb91

Reaction score
This is the style that comes into my head when I think of the Willie Gunn. My first copper tube but something I’ll use this spring.

3FE75609-E5A7-48BC-B8A9-96E12E5C32D4.jpeg

Tony Mac

Reaction score
it is amazing how far you have come in such a short time
Thanks a lot Ryan, I've been lucky with being taught by a great tyer, and your step by step videos on YouTube have been a great help.

I've still a lot to learn but im happy with how I'm tying at the moment and more importantly, I'm enjoying my time at the vice

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Spectrum shrimp

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Ryan, I've been lucky with being taught by a great tyer, and your step by step videos on YouTube have been a great help.

I've still a lot to learn but im happy with how I'm tying at the moment and more importantly, I'm enjoying my time at the vice

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I agree with Ryan unbelievable how far you have came on in just a year. You're like a sponge fair play Well done delighted for you mate !!??

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Yikes, where has this month gone! I only just realised this was the last day for entries and so here is a very quick and last minute creation from me. I think I took as long trying to get a half decent photo as I did tying it :oops:

Hook: Partridge Patriot #12
Thread: black UTC
Tag: Pearl lurex stretched until it turns blue
Tail: orange, yellow, black and blue bucktail + two strands of blue micro crystal flash
Body: thread
Rib: Pearl lurex stretched until blue
Wing: black squirrel
Hackle: yellow, orange and black soft hackle wound together 1 turn and then 1 extra turn of orange.
Collar: 1 turn of blue jay

8F8EDE68-DD87-401A-8FE3-74005105E34E.jpeg

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
Great collection and as ever difficult to pick, Perry poker is probably the one I'd pick out to fish, but I just love the look of greys007 so only seems fitting 007 get my vote this month.

Cheers andy

mows

Reaction score
How do you pick a winner out of that lot.
I thought I would start by discounting the ones I wasn't so keen on or wouldn't put on the end of the line.
That didn't make much difference.
So far I've got it down to about 10.
Great tying
Great variety of interpretations
And great photos!

Everyone is a winner, but I'll eventually maybe manage to pick an overall winner!!

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I'm still undecided but have narrowed down a bit, can't seem to see the results so far?

keirstream

Reaction score
Liked DrP's celebration of a fag packet liner creation, if Calrsberg made fags, every packet would come with one of those flies in it.(y)
Great effort Doc.
Closely followed by Nigel's plain but somehow comforting reminder that Oor Jim catches a bucket load of fish from the Dee, although he would have much preferred to have been flashing his Willie on the Spey and Tweed this season.:D
Clear winner for me though and I'm just going to place my vote and view the results so far is one of those fabulous masters of the art from Norn Ireland, Jockie Scott. Everything about the tying is just right, well balanced, just so good.
Well done Jockie. Fabulous tying.(y)(y)(y)(y)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
When I started this months competition I thought it would be a really tough one to decide both when deciding on a pattern and on deciding where to place my single vote. As it happens I was right for myself but whether that applied to everyone I will never know. What is clear though is that despite the usual extremely high standard of tying, the voters knew exactly what they consider to be a great willie with clear stand out positions as follows:

1st place standing well out on its own with 13 votes and 10 points: Spectrum Shrimp. A really neat fly with perfect balance of colour.

2nd placewith 8 votes, earning 8 points went to Jockie Scott. As ever a perfect demonstration of the soft hackling we have come to envy him for.

3rd place with 6 votes, earning 7 points went to SnapT14 with one of those slightly understated versions that you just know will take fish everywhere.

This competition easily achieved everything I hoped for in presenting a brilliant catalogue of Willie Gunn's in all their guises that I hope will be a great resource for years to come. Thanks again to everyone who makes the competition such a great event by submitting flies every month in the knowledge that other than an accolade they will get bugger all else!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: