• SnapT14

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Ypres

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to the November 2020 Tie of the Month competition.

TOTM Introduction

The format of the 2020 Tie of the Month competition will remain the same as it was last year as it worked so well i.e. open to everyone, a separate section for any newcomers to salmon fly tying and all you need to do for entry is to submit a photo of a fly that meets the rules of that months theme and the eleven commandments below.

You can enter every month or just the odd few but note that points are awarded just for entering! The only exception will be December when we’ll retain voting for the 'Fly of the Year' as chosen from the winners of each monthly competition.

As a tip, the fly you think is the best dressed, best photographed and most true to the original does not always win and so don’t be put off giving it a go or trying a bit of experimentation.

November TOTM theme: "A double date"
Well we are nearly into party season and so I’m sure there will be plenty of dating going on for those a wee bit younger than me. To be honest though having kicked around a number of ideas I was struggling to pick one! Themes I got to were around the party season, tying two flies as we don’t tie in December and tying something for the new season but will it be flooded or low water - who knows given the last couple of years! I have therefore decided to combine all of those themes and so the challenge for the last TOTM of the year is to tie not one but two flies, a double date if you like. As we don’t know what state the river will be in, I’d like you to tie the ‘same’ pattern for both but one weighted and the other unweighted so that you can fish on opening day whatever state the river is in!

Specific Guidance:
  • The two flies must be shown in the same photograph so rule 3 applies.
  • The weighted fly can be tied on a copper or other metal tube, plastic tube with cone head or waddington shank
  • The unweighted fly on a hook of your choice (I'm not allowing an unweighted tube because I don't want two tube flies!)
  • Any pattern can be chosen, but the two flies must obviously be the same pattern using the same colours.

Eleven commandments
1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome to enter as many or as few months as you choose. As it currently stands there are no prizes this year and so enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result. If a sponsor comes forward at any time that will be posted in the TOTM folder.

2. Anybody who has started tying salmon flies in the last 12 months can highlight this on their first entry to be considered for the title of 'Best Newcomer'

3. You can only enter one photo. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified.

4. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must be as far as possible identical in size and form so that it’s clear what is being voted for.

5. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM.

6. To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.

7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month and be open to everyone on the forum.

8. The December competition will be to decide the 'Tie of The Year', where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions. The points for this will be awarded in the same way as every other month.

9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the accolade of TOTM Winner and/or Best Newcomer

10. The competition will run from February 2020 to December 2020

11. Points will be awarded each month as follows. In the event of a tie for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, all tied participants will get the full points available for the placing.
• First place: 10 points
• Second place: 8 points
• Third place: 7 points.
• Each monthly competition entered: 4 points.

This means that you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

willmorris
willmorris.png

Ryan Houston
Ryan Houston.png

Perry Poker
Perry Poker.png

Logan Houston
Logan Houston.png

Spectrum Shrimp
Spectrum Shrimp.png

nwsalar
nwsalar.png

mcandy
mc andy.png

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.png

Grassy_Knollington
Grassy_Knollington.png

stephenb91
Stephenb91.png

AlanT
AlanT.png

Woodsy
Woodsy.png

iainmortimer
iainmortimer.png

Andrzej
Andrzej.png

westie4566
westie4566.png

nickolas
nickolas.png

Clydebuilt
Clydebuilt.png

Tailfire
Tailfire.png

SnapT14
SnapT14.png

Ypres
Ypres.png

Last edited:

PerryPoker

Reaction score
My offering for this month is a slight variant of the Posh Tosh. I have tied these on a size 8 Loop double and a 1” aluminium tube.

3A7E799E-E285-4BB8-A4C5-2E4027F185CE.jpeg

The dressing for both is;

Tag: Yellow Amnesia
Body: Fluro green Lagartun mini flat braid
Rib: Yellow Amnesia
Under Wing: Chartreuse buck tail with 4 strands of chartreuse Krystal flash
Hackle: Chartreuse Metz soft hackle
Wing: Black Silver Fox
Hot Orange JC
Head: Black

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
My offering for this month is a slight variant of the Posh Tosh. I have tied these on a size 8 Loop double and a 1” aluminium tube.

View attachment 52088

Wing: Black Shadow Fox
Hot Orange JC

Top notch PerryPoker ????

iainmortimer

Reaction score

View attachment 52088

Hot Orange JC

A perfect opener and exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. In fact so perfectly tied and matched I now need to have a rethink on my humble offering!

mc andy

Reaction score

View attachment 52088

Hot Orange JC
I like the idea of using amnesia as your tag and rib! Good thinking. And a tidy pair of flies also ? ? ?

Fall prince

Reaction score

View attachment 52088

Hot Orange JC
Deadly !

nickolas

Reaction score
Junction white Shrimp first designed by Watty Burns on the Tweed while at Henderside, then copied by the Junction ghillie and tied on tubes and Waddington's. The white wing became very well known, tied with white buck tail wrapped in the front and all manner of colours behind, said to be fished best in the autumn when the light starts to diminish.

Size 8 Silver Partridge, / 1inch Waddington
Silver Oval
Orange Bucktail
Orange sparkle
Yellow silk
Silver oval over
Orange cock hackle
Black Silk
Silver Oval over
White bucktail.
Black to finish.

Attachments

• PB060316.JPG
    PB060316.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 139

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Something with spring in mind - with a classic yellow/chartreuse/ black combo and a touch of flou colours - it's a Gledswood-ish

gled totm nov.JPG

Materials:

Tube: Tubeworx lumo outer (clear lumo), black inner. Cone - red
Hook: Partridge Patriot

Tying pattern:

Tag: fl chartreuse ultra wire
Tail: Boar bristle - this gives it a slightly piglet feel BUT is more to kick the tail up and stop tail wrap (a tip i picked up from a version of the Gledswood Ade tied); pinch of well brushed out artic fox; smidge runner over; 2 strands midge flash yellow; yellow ripple ice flash
Under tail: well brushed out yellow artic fox much shorter than wing but gives it a shrimpy ness
Butt: glo brite 1 - fl. magenta
Body: gold holo, fl. chartreuse wire rib
Front wing: same as tail but lighter in density and run part way into length of tail; 2 strands yellow midge flash
Front hackle: yellow/chartreuse-ish cock
JC
Globrite 3 (think - i have two identical spools one says 3 the other 4 - but pretty sure it's 3) + Sally HAN

Tight lines, Patrick

Andrzej

Reaction score
Something with spring in mind - with a classic yellow/chartreuse/ black combo and a touch of flou colours - it's a Gledswood-ish

View attachment 52142
Materials:

Tying pattern:

Tail: Boar bristle - this gives it a slightly piglet feel BUT is more to kick the tail up and stop tail wrap (a tip i picked up from a version of the Gledswood Ade tied); pinch of well brushed out artic fox; smidge runner over; 2 strands midge flash yellow; yellow ripple ice flash
Under tail: well brushed out yellow artic fox much shorter than wing but gives it a shrimpy ness
Front wing: same as tail but lighter in density and run part way into length of tail; 2 strands yellow midge flash
JC
Globrite 3 (think - i have two identical spools one says 3 the other 4 - but pretty sure it's 3) + Sally HAN

Tight lines, Patrick
Cracking pair Patrick ? I'm just finishing varnish heads on my flies...

Andrzej

Reaction score
Wasn't sure what fly to choose for this month, but luckily spotted this one in the November T&S, the Calvin's Pig. To make a decent picture for these flies was a nightmare ? Maybe other day I'll try to photograph them in daylight and change this photo.
Feelers: boar bristles
Tail.: red and orange arctic runner, red and orange sparkle long hair dubbing
Rear hackle: magenta hackle
Body: red seal's fur mixed with yellow sparkle dubbing, oval tinsel rib
Head: badger orange hackle (should be red ?‍♂️), JC, red thread.

Fly494.jpg

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Wasn't sure what fly to choose for this month, but luckily spotted this one in the November T&S, the Calvin's Pig. To make a decent picture for these flies was a nightmare ? Maybe other day I'll try to photograph them in a daylight and change this photo.
Feelers: boar bristles
Tail.: red and orange arctic runner, red and orange sparkle long hair dubbing
Rear hackle: magenta hackle
Body: red seal's fur mixed with yellow sparkle dubbing, oval tinsel rib
Head: badger orange hackle (should be red ?‍♂️), JC, red thread.

View attachment 52147
Lovely stuff ? you’re right about taking pics - tying is challenging enough, photo ing is harder still unless sitting side by side ( I couldn’t get a decent shot)

mc andy

Reaction score
Wilkinson shrimp for me this month my variant anyway :unsure:.

Used to do fairly well with these colours many moons ago. Not in a shrimp style mind but utilising the colours.

Brown schlappin tail (feelers on the tube)
Few strands crystal flash in the tail
Opal dub body
Metz soft hackle mid hackle flo pink
Metz soft head hackle kingfisher blue.
Red thread (Sean stanton red cone tube)
IMG_20201107_165751~2.jpg

mc andy

Reaction score

View attachment 52142
Materials:

Tying pattern:

JC

Tight lines, Patrick
Just what the doctor ordered! Stunners!