• Spectrum Shrimp

• easky

Results are only viewable after voting.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to Tie of the Month
May 2021

Introduction
The format of the 2021 Tie of the Month competition has changed slightly this year to give a better spread of points and to reflect an amazingly generous prize list. However, despite the prizes this is a very friendly competition that is open to everyone regardless of your ability and a specific newcomer's section and prize is available to reflect that. So please do join in by submitting your flies and engaging in the banter because your tying will improve and so will your general feeling of happiness!

To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at. It is worth noting that often it is not the neatest, most skillful or most complex tying that wins but the fly that the voters feel is most likely to catch a fish or is simply the most inventive or witty (see the winning entry from mc andy in the April 2020 competition ;)). There is also no pressure to enter every month but do note that points are awarded just for entering each month. Just enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result from producing patterns that you may not otherwise have considered tying!

Please also note that the flies you tie are used as a reference by many people and so your posts are creating a great reference section for everyone. I therefore ask and encourage everyone entering to include a list of the materials used with each photo.

Clearly photography plays a part in this competition and many (possibly most) photo's are taken very successfully using a phone camera. A few tips to help though:
  • As much as possible try and take the photo in natural daylight
  • On many smart phones tapping the screen to select the point of focus can result in the camera focussing on the vice or another large solid object near the fly. If that happens, try taking the photo at a greater distance from the fly without selecting the point of focus and then crop it (also note rule 7 below)
  • Be careful of the background for both clutter and background colour can make it harder to see, or with a good choice, highlight the fly.

This months Theme: 'Is that sea I see?'
"You can't catch a salmon in the sea, you have to wait for them to get into the river" is something that I have read a fair few times - rubbish!

I had never really thought about it myself until one year when my Uncle went off to one of the Hebridean Islands for a fishing holiday and spent a lot of the evenings fishing in salt water for the salmon that had collected while awaiting rainfall so that they could run the river. There are also a fair few fisheries in the UK and abroad with excellent estuary pools. In fact, if you do a little digging you can even find blogs recounting the use of dry daddy long legs in the sea to catch salmon. I guess that largely the extra hassle of having to clean all of your gear after every session to remove the salt means that like myself, most just don't try. The trouble with that lack of attention is that relatively little is written about this approach and even less about specific flies.

Having read the above, you have probably guessed that this months challenge is to rectify that dearth of information by tying the ideal fly for catching one of those salmon that are hanging around in the salty stuff awaiting high tide or a spate to arrive. If the fly is specific to the Na h-Eileanan Siar (Western Isles/Outer Hebrides) then all the better.

Given the extra challenge, Keirstream is awarding the extra prize of a bottle of Talisker whisky to the lucky winner of this month's competition and so get those thinking caps on!

SPECIFIC GUIDANCE
  • errmmm yeah. errrrmmm read above again, dig out your books, scratch your head, ask around, google, swear at me....yep that should do it :ROFLMAO:
  • While sat scratching your head you may wish to sing along:
A sailor went to sea, sea, sea
To see what she could see, see, see
But all that she could see, see, see
Was the bottom of the deep blue sea, sea, sea
A sailor went to sea, sea, sea
To see what she could see, see, see
But all that she could see, see, see
Was a salmon in the deep blue sea​

ENTRIES

Bens_Flies
Bens_Flies.png

Mattytree
Mattytree.png

Yooper-Fly
Yooper - Fly.png

Flow
Flow.png

Logan Houston
Logan Houston.png

Timmins
Timmins.png

Tony Mac
Tony Mac.png

nwsalar
nwsalar.png

SnapT14
SnapT14.png

westie4566
westie4566.png

tcorfey
tcorfey.png

FaughanPurple
FaughanPurple.png

salmoNewf
salmoNewf.png

Tailfire
Tailfire.png

Gavinmcc
Gavinmcc.png

Sedgy
Sedgy.png

Ypres
Ypres.png

Stephenb91
Stephenb91.png

Woodsy
Woodsy.png

SebasP
SebasP.png

rotenone
rotenone.png

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.png

iainmortimer
iainmortimer.png

GaryD
GaryD.png

JockieScott
Jockiescott.png

Zamora
Zamora.png

Clydebuilt
Clydebuilt.png

Scierra
Scierra.png

Ryan Houston
ryan houston.png

AlanT
AlanT.png

willmorris
willmorris.png

Andrzej
Andrzej.png

leave_u
leave_u  (NEW).png

Easer
Easer.png

Beel
Beel.png

Spectrum Shrimp
Spectrum Shrimp.png

Easky
easky.png

Attachments

• rotenone.png
    rotenone.png
    309.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
right I cant find anything at all for atlantics can we tie weird flashy jobs for pacifics they seem to target them regular in the sea? or as a cop out sea trout flies for estuaries here?
As ever, the choice is yours. Pacific’s is find as we are not limited to our side of the Atlantic on the forum 👍

Bens_Flies

Reaction score
So I’ll be the first than and have no Idea if I managed to tie a Fly which is in line with this topic! I was thinking ”why wouldn’t a Salmon go for natural Bait before starting his long journey...”
Anyway... I decided to go for a „featherwinged Herring“ streamer tied on a strong saltwater single just for the case the cod‘s and coalfish even prefer it. 😬

Here’s my attempt:

6D0E318C-0DE5-43D6-BFF7-4AECAED5257D.jpeg

Materials:

Hook: Ahrex Salty single #2
Tail: cashmere goat white and kingfisher Blue, angel hair blue and silver, 2 feathers kingfisher Blue and 2 cock saddle hackle grizzly
Body: blue braid
Ribbing: silver oval
1st Wing: White bucktail+diamond pearl angelhair
2nd Wing: Black bucktail+silver flashabou
Underwing: artic fox salmon
Overwing: 2 cock saddle hackle grizzly
1st fronthackle: Chinese cock chartreuse grizzly
2nd fronthackle Chinese cock kingfisher blue
4 strands Ostrich
Jungle Cock

I’m actually looking really forward to trie this one.
Tight lines and a nice rest Sunda!
Ben

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Excellent start!!!

I was thinking of something along a sandeel imitation thing myself but have no grizzle hackles in my possession but might try something with badger hackles.

It certainly won't be anywhere near as nice as that though.

Great first entry. Well done! 👍

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I've fished the Tay estuary a lot for sea trout both on land and in a boat and often seen salmon clear the water and covered some with my streamer sand eel patterns but never hooked one. Hairyscotsman on here is the only person I've ever seen or heard about hooking a salmon on the fly in the estuary. It snapped him so might even of been a massive sea trout.
I've also seen the dolphins feeding on the salmon. Very impressive watching them work as a group. They celebrate a caught salmon by slapping it out the water to each other just like you've seen the killer whales do to seals on the TV.
Good luck everyone I will look forward to seeing all of your creations

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I decided to keep it very simple so thought I'd just tie "Rogan's Gadget" which was designed for seatrout in the Erne estuary at Ballyshannon in the 1960's. I hope someone caught a salmon on it! ☺️

I then added a beard as there were waste feathers lying on my desk! 😂

Here it is...

IMG_20210502_152108.jpg

Tail and back: the same bronze mallard slip
Body: embossed silver tinsel ribbed with oval silver
Beard: silver doctor blue hen under badger
Head: wound peacock herl

Timmins

Reaction score
Here’s my entry this month no rhyme or reason just tied something .
Hook silver 10 patriot single
Butt silver oval
Tag blue holographic
Tail blue bottom white middle blue top Finn raccoon
Back body medium oval tinsel
Vealings golden pheasant tippet
Front body Mikkeli blue dub silver oval rib
Wing 3 strand blue uv flash
First hackle blue doctor hen
Second hackle silver badger hen
Head blue krystal flash
E3C66446-3EAC-434B-888E-0A0061E6B427.jpeg

Bens_Flies

Reaction score
Excellent start!!!

I was thinking of something along a sandeel imitation thing myself but have no grizzle hackles in my possession but might try something with badger hackles.

It certainly won't be anywhere near as nice as that though.

Great first entry. Well done! 👍
Thanks Jockie!

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Butt silver oval
Tag blue holographic
Head blue krystal flash View attachment 60695

I like that Timmins.

I might experiment with that pattern myself. It could/should be a very good grilse fly! 👍

mows

Reaction score
So I’ll be the first than and have no Idea if I managed to tie a Fly which is in line with this topic! I was thinking ”why wouldn’t a Salmon go for natural Bait before starting his long journey...”
Anyway... I decided to go for a „featherwinged Herring“ streamer tied on a strong saltwater single just for the case the cod‘s and coalfish even prefer it. 😬

Here’s my attempt:

View attachment 60693

Materials:

Hook: Ahrex Salty single #2
Tail: cashmere goat white and kingfisher Blue, angel hair blue and silver, 2 feathers kingfisher Blue and 2 cock saddle hackle grizzly
Body: blue braid
Ribbing: silver oval
1st Wing: White bucktail+diamond pearl angelhair
2nd Wing: Black bucktail+silver flashabou
Underwing: artic fox salmon
Overwing: 2 cock saddle hackle grizzly
1st fronthackle: Chinese cock chartreuse grizzly
2nd fronthackle Chinese cock kingfisher blue
4 strands Ostrich
Jungle Cock

I’m actually looking really forward to trie this one.
Tight lines and a nice rest Sunda!
Ben
Wow.
Thats thrown down the gauntlet!

Bens_Flies

Reaction score
Butt silver oval
Tag blue holographic
Head blue krystal flash View attachment 60695
Nice one!

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I've fished the Tay estuary a lot for sea trout both on land and in a boat and often seen salmon clear the water and covered some with my streamer sand eel patterns but never hooked one. Hairyscotsman on here is the only person I've ever seen or heard about hooking a salmon on the fly in the estuary. It snapped him so might even of been a massive sea trout.
I've also seen the dolphins feeding on the salmon. Very impressive watching them work as a group. They celebrate a caught salmon by slapping it out the water to each other just like you've seen the killer whales do to seals on the TV.
Good luck everyone I will look forward to seeing all of your creations
Yes, I have no faith in fly in any salt water for salmon.

If you had many sea-trout in the Tay estuary I wondered what percentage had food in their stomachs, what it was and what time of year ? Thanks AG

ps sorry, fly or spinning ? I’ve often thought of trolling for sea-trout around old bag net sites.

ryan houston

Reaction score
I decided to keep it very simple so thought I'd just tie "Rogan's Gadget" which was designed for seatrout in the Erne estuary at Ballyshannon in the 1960's. I hope someone caught a salmon on it! ☺️

Here it is...

View attachment 60694

WELL THATS WHAT I WAS GONNA TIE LOL BUT i THINK ILL LET LOGAN HAVE A GO AT THAT I WILL TIE SOME WHACKY COHO FLY

SnapT14

Reaction score

Here it is...

View attachment 60694

I love that Rich 👍

Easer

Reaction score
I have caught salmon off the coast, in about 1,5-2 meters depth, not on fly though, but they ARE there, feeding on easy prey....

In fact I caught MY ONLY SALMON so far off the coast, so I'm in fact really surprised to realise that they are caught elsewhere....;- )