• Rainclouds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CharlesW

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to the May 2020 Tie of the Month competition.

TOTM Introduction
The format of the 2020 Tie of the Month competition will remain the same as it was last year as it worked so well i.e. open to everyone, a separate section for any newcomers to salmon fly tying and all you need to do for entry is to submit a photo of a fly that meets the rules of that months theme and the eleven commandments below.

You can enter every month or just the odd few but note that points are awarded just for entering! The only exception will be December when we’ll retain voting for the 'Fly of the Year' as chosen from the winners of each monthly competition.

As a tip, the fly you think is the best dressed, best photographed and most true to the original does not always win and so don’t be put off giving it a go or trying a bit of experimentation.

May TOTM theme: 'Light at the end of the tunnel'
Last month I took inspiration from the lockdown we were facing by asking for some improvisation. I have to say that I feel we are a very fortunate group to have an addition to our hobby that we are able to do while stuck at home. Something my wife commented on more than once as she gratefully kicked me out of the sitting room with the suggestion of ‘why don’t you tie some flies instead of getting on my nerves’; she’s always been kind to me that way!

Here we are though five weeks on and finally the UK government has told us we have passed the peak. In fact, the exact words used by Boris Johnson were that it’s “As though we have been going through some huge Alpine tunnel, and we can now see the sunlight and the pasture ahead of us."

In light of that (‘scuse the pun) I thought we could celebrate that fact for although there is a long way to go before things are normal (whatever that is) we can also see our own bit of light. That light is the indication that angling may be permitted as one of the first steps in easing the lockdown. I therefore decided that this month we could represent the light at the end of our tunnel by tying typically dark colours with a flash of brightness at the head, and of course on a tunnel, I mean tube. So yes you’ve got it, from one extreme of improvisation to the other of copying a specific style. In this instance, I’d like us to end up displaying a beautiful collection of Scandi tube flies in the style of Mikael Frödin.

Specific Guidance:
• You must tie on a tube. That can be metal or plastic, straight or bottle, with or without a disc.
• The fly should have the typical look of a Frödin creation with long wing and wound hackle at the head. If unsure, a quick internet search will find lots of examples.
• Please include a materials list. Your entry won’t be rejected without one but many of the viewers like to copy the flies and the material list really helps.

Eleven commandments
1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome to enter as many or as few months as you choose. As it currently stands there are no prizes this year and so enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result. If a sponsor comes forward at any time that will be posted in the TOTM folder.

2. Anybody who has started tying salmon flies in the last 12 months can highlight this on their first entry to be considered for the title of 'Best Newcomer'

3. You can only enter one photo. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified.

4. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must be as far as possible identical in size and form so that it’s clear what is being voted for.

5. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM.

6. To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.

7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month and be open to everyone on the forum.

8. The December competition will be to decide the 'Tie of The Year', where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions. The points for this will be awarded in the same way as every other month.

9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the accolade of TOTM Winner and/or Best Newcomer

10. The competition will run from February 2020 to December 2020

11. Points will be awarded each month as follows. In the event of a tie for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, all tied participants will get the full points available for the placing.
• First place: 10 points
• Second place: 8 points
• Third place: 7 points.
• Each monthly competition entered: 4 points.

This means that you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

Logan Houston
Logan Houston.jpg

Doublehooked
Doublehooked.JPG

gwelsher
gwelsher.jpg

LouisCha
LouisCha.jpg

Zamora
Zamora.jpg

NWSalar
NWSalar.JPG

pfeul
pfeul.jpg

Clydebuilt
Clydebuilt.jpg

mc andy
mc andy.jpg

PerryPoker
PerryPoker.jpeg

GaryD
GaryD.jpeg

Jockiescott
Jockiescott.jpg

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.JPG

Gpu
Gpu.jpg

Andrzej
Andrzej.jpg

Grassy_Knollington
Grassy_Knollington.jpeg

Fergal 1975
Fergal 1975.jpeg

Ryan Houston
Ryan Houston.jpg

Johnny D
Johnny D.png

IainMortimer
IainMortimer.jpeg

Rainclouds
Rainclouds.jpg

CharlesW
CharlesW.jpg

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
Great iain gives us something to think about, only problem is do we peak early and get it done and have to watch everyone's entrys roll in over the month or do we roll a fag sit patiently till the end of the month.

My entry will be in tomorrow :lol::D:tongue::peace:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Sierra Korva

Mini Sierra Korva variant

91299A14-87F5-4B5A-A459-688978AD2743.jpeg

Tube & body: Small Gold Conehead and 1.8mm liner
Body dressing: Copper Litebrite brushed out
Underwing: Copper Angelhair & Peacock herl
Wing 1: Ginger Arctic Fox
Wing 2: Fiery Brown Arctic Fox
Hackle: Hareline soft Grizzle Hackle Orange
Cheeks: JC
Head: Red

mc andy

Reaction score
Mini Sierra Korva variant

View attachment 44478

Tube & body: Small Gold Conehead and 1.8mm liner
Body dressing: Copper Litebrite brushed out
Underwing: Copper Angelhair & Peacock herl
Wing 1: Ginger Arctic Fox
Wing 2: Fiery Brown Arctic Fox
Hackle: Hareline soft Grizzle Hackle Orange
Head: Red

Bloody Nora! That was quick GK, tidy though:thumb:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I have to confess, I tied that one last night but it seems to fit. Hopefully Iain will let me off......:D

Well you probably know the rules off the top of your head better than I do!!! It definitely fits and is much better than a blob fly so is definitely in :tongue: :D

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'm really not sure if this is in the style of Mikael Frodin but I tied this scandi sort of thing today anyway.

I've only tied one of these in the past that I can remember. Looking at my photos on Facebook, I uploaded it onto there in 2013. That one had a gold cone head, which I prefer, but I haven't got any decent cones these days so have left it off this one.

I had the Thunder & Lightning in mind when I tied this one back then.

tandl.jpg

Tying is as follows:

Tubes: Black outer and magenta inner tubeworx
Tag: Oval Gold
Butt: Yellow Floss
Tails: Yellow Floss with Glo Brite No. 7 floss over
Butt: Ostrich herl
Body: Black seals fur rear half with front half of black seals fur mixed with Futurefly After Dark dubbing, ribbed with oval gold
Body Hackle: Orange Cock
First hackle: Orange hen
Wing 1: Orange Fox
Wing 2: Dark Orange Fox
Second Hackle: Bronze Mallard Wound
Third Hackle: Blue Guinea Fowl
Wing 3: Fiery Brown Fox
Overwing: Springer Spanial Ear hair (a wee nod to last month's theme ;)) with four strands of Peacock Krystal Flash over
Sides: Jungle Cock

There are a couple of things I am not 100% happy with and may tie another and post it later on. In case I don't, this one will do. :)

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
That is absolutely stunning and the perfect photo to capture it. If you tie them like that every time then you need to tie more!

mc andy

Reaction score
My offering this month.

IMG_20200502_172336.jpg

Green butt
Gold Wing n flash dubbed for a tag
Mirrage body over orange thread
Silver medium rib
White Arctic fox wing
Light grey Arctic fox wing
Gold Wing n flash
Sunburst marble fox
Hot orange marble fox over wing
Hot orange mirror flash
Black goat over wing
Yellow large cock hackle
Hot orange metz soft hackle
Black metz soft hackle
Dyed jc
Gold tubeworx bead

Cheers andy

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Going by the standard of the first two flies this is going to be a very tough one to win! :help:

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Dee Samurai

My fly for this month is a variant of Frödin’s Dee Samurai.

471DBC02-068A-4D85-84FF-4312FC5814C1.jpeg

3mm Green plastic tube cut 1” long
1.8mm Blue tube
Tag: Pearl Mylar
Rib: Oval silver tinsel
Body: 1/2 Silver dubbing, 1/2 Black seal’s fur
Wing: Yellow arctic fox with 2 strands of yellow Krystal flash, Black silver fox with 2 strands of black Krystal flash
1st Hackle: Teal Schlappen
2nd Hackle: Blue Schlappen
3rd Hackle: Black Schlappen
Yellow Jungle Cock
Silver SS Signature cone

Last edited:

ryan houston

Reaction score
Phatakorva

DSCF2420_edited-2.jpg this has to be Frodins most famous creation its a blend of browns but a beguiling pattern and one of the hardest things I have tried to photograph I hope you like it . Logan has been watching videos of samurais today and will have a go at one tomorrow maybe he is also trying to talk his big brother into having a go we will see

Petekd

Reaction score
View attachment 44522 this has to be Frodins most famous creation its a blend of browns but a beguiling pattern and one of the hardest things I have tried to photograph I hope you like it . Logan has been watching videos of samurais today and will have a go at one tomorrow maybe he is also trying to talk his big brother into having a go we will see

Absolutely love that fly. I used similar last year in Sweden, hit several monsters on it. Been looking for a few since of good quality with limited success, that there what you’ve tied is on a different level though.

Andrzej

Reaction score
My fly for this month is the Samurai, it's my first ever fly tied in this style, hope doesn't look very bad :lol: The fly is about 8cm long - DELETED

I decided to change this terrible samurai which I tied with more classic pattern. The fly is tied on 'home made' TTT system ;) Though I left a tiny bit of a body, just to hold a silicone end piece, there is a large conehead at the back covered by hackles, and a small conehead at the front.

Fly431.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny D

Reaction score
Forgot how fun it is to tie in this style! Some fantastic looking flies on here already! Here is my offering for this month:

Frodin.png

Tube & body: Tubeworx inner and outer with size small cone
Tail: Orange flash fibres
Rear body dubbing: Copper Glister dubbing
Front body dubbing: Gold Glister dubbing
Body hackle: Orange Cock
Rib: Large Oval Tinsel
Tag: Opal Mirage Tinsel
Underwing: Orange Mirror Flash and orange Tanuki Raccoon Guard hairs
Wing 1: Orangey-brown Arctic Fox
Wing 2: Black Arctic Fox topped with Peacock Herl
Hackle 1: Orange Schlappen
Hackle 2: Natures Spiritt Orange Grizzly Soft

Last edited:

ryan houston

Reaction score
Willy gunn samurai

OK so Logan was going to tie the vaehaenaeva green samurai until he saw the willy gunn and the name was so hilarious to a 7 year old that he changed his mind he watched one of my videos and then I tied one beside him and he copied me he was scared to use the lighter himself (which is a good thing ) so I flamed down the inner tube for him to finish the fly I can barely tell the difference between his fly and my one yes this style of tying lends itself to covering up what went before but I was a very proud daddy DSCF2425_edited-2.jpg

mc andy

Reaction score
OK so Logan was going to tie the vaehaenaeva green samurai until he saw the willy gunn and the name was so hilarious to a 7 year old that he changed his mind he watched one of my videos and then I tied one beside him and he copied me he was scared to use the lighter himself (which is a good thing ) so I flamed down the inner tube for him to finish the fly I can barely tell the difference between his fly and my one yes this style of tying lends itself to covering up what went before but I was a very proud daddy View attachment 44562

The future is bright the future is orange!

Very well done young man :thumb:

Andrzej

Reaction score
OK so Logan was going to tie the vaehaenaeva green samurai until he saw the willy gunn and the name was so hilarious to a 7 year old that he changed his mind he watched one of my videos and then I tied one beside him and he copied me he was scared to use the lighter himself (which is a good thing ) so I flamed down the inner tube for him to finish the fly I can barely tell the difference between his fly and my one yes this style of tying lends itself to covering up what went before but I was a very proud daddy View attachment 44562

That's impressive piece of work Logan, I very like this fly :thumb:

Fergal1975

Reaction score
Red flare

Here's my fly for this month
Edit - I'll call this the "red flare". Hopefully not a name that's already in use.
Tubes- Black inner, clear outer
Tag- gold oval
Butt- yellow flosss
Tail- GP crest
2nd butt- black ostrich herl
Rear body- red floss
Front body- red ice dubbing
Rib- gold oval
First hackle - red hen
Wing- Black fox over red fox
Flashy strands- pearl and gold
Throat hackle - blue Guinea fowl
Eyes/cheeks- jungle cock
Cone- Black

3B9A497E-3C6F-485F-8556-B7BB530A4B06.jpeg

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Garry Dog

Hi All,

My attempt this month is a crack at a Scandi-style Garry Dog.

IMG_1213 (2).JPG

Tube body: Black gold glitter (short to hold hook holder - or to free swing); small cone and red inner
Tail: Yellow flou fibre with small amount yellow shadow fox over
Wing 1: Blue marble fox, smidge pearl/blue angel hair; stretched blue mirror flash, strand of peacock ripple ice fibre
Wing 2: Red goat (long) smidge copper/red angel hair, red Artic fox (half into goat) over then few strands orange ripple ice fibre
Hackles: Silver Doctor blue hackle (longer) with shorter Blue grizzle over - both hackles swept down to mid-line of the fly
Wing 3: Yellow Shadow fox, two peacock herls, stretched gold flash
JC
Silver Drainer Disc cone
Hook: Given it’s Frodin inspired - I’ve used a Silver Frodin tube Salar (size 11).

All the best, Patrick

Last edited:

Coneheads

Reaction score
Ryan Houston looks favourite to win this month ?:lol: Cheat tho he's got 2 entries:lol:

ryan houston

Reaction score
Ryan Houston looks favourite to win this month ?:lol: Cheat tho he's got 2 entries:lol:
would be no point in entering twice you would only split your vote, the wee man was trying to get his other brother to enter as well so that would be 3 entries does anyone know what age you can start a profile up at on the forum? perhaps I could use my email address on it as he doesn't have one? but then again its also safer for him not to have one and be exposed to internet just yet