POLL: Tie of the Month March 2021: I just can't decide!!

Who tied your favourite fly?

• Jockiescott

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Iain Mortimer

• Ypres

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • mc andy

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • DrPatrickT

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Anthony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pnut123

• Woodsy

• Beel

• willmorris

• Clydebuilt

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Timmins

• nickolas

• Tony Mac

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Flow

• Wormo

• SnapT14

• Stephenb91

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Logan Houston

• Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • SebasP

• FaughanPurple

• nwsalar

• Mattytree

• Doublehooked

• Ryan Houston

• Pubs

• SEDGY

• Andrzej

• Gavinmcc

• Slaneybs

• Tailfire

• GaryD

• LouisCha

• Bens_Flies

• Zamora

• westie4566

• Scierra

• easky

• Easer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jockiescott

Reaction score
cheers and yep.. purely for 'artistic purposes' as clear leader was a bit hard to photograph 😁

If it’s purely for artistic purposes, I’ll turn a blind eye on this occasion! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‚

Sort of surprised there isn’t a Wilkie in there somewhere? πŸ™‚

westie4566

Reaction score
Gurgler is a great fly. Often people tend to fish them too big. Best hook up to land ratio is definitely on the smaller ones. Mine are on 8s and 10s B175 Singles
That's an 8, the Dunkeld on a 10.
And now for something completely different ! multi coloured not , very effective flies

Deadly Red ,& Black & Silver Shrimps

The Deadly Red has grassed many salmon and seatrout on several rivers for myself and a pal the past 7 seasons, The Black and Silver dressed flies are noted for catching seatrout ,this dressing made its debut 2020 season, taking on the basic colours of a Stoats Tail again grassed 2 salmon and a 7lb seatrout last season , no crystal flash in sight, the stand out feature/attractor on both dressings for me are the holographic's and the "Eyes" and when viewed level from the rear, and all angles , gives the fly oop's ? shrimp, life !
I have approx 5 other "colour co-ordinated" , Pink ,Yellow, Red & Silver, Blue & Silver,Orange dressings of the shrimp flies in tubes doubles, singles, sun-rayed, all of which I have grassed salmon & seatrout in clear and peat stained water , The Red being the first and Black and Silver the last to grass fish on , Even tied a GWG type of dressing this close season, yet to be drowned because of covid restrictions.

Deadly Red
Hook- Partridge Patriot size 6 double
Feelers 3 Red boar bristles
Head Whiskers-Scarlet red cock saddle fibres Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Red Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
Legs- approx 4/5 yellow boar bristles tied evenly
all round dressed curved outward tied in
(under the hackle)
Hackle - Scarlet Red cock
Tail - Red Varnish under clear

Black & Silver
Hook-Partridge Patriot size 8 double
Feelers -3 Yellow boar bristles
Head Whiskers- Black & yellow on top, cock saddle fibres
Black small shrimp eyes
Body -Silver holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
Legs- 4/5 Yellow boar bristles (ditto on D.R above.)
Hackle- Black Cock
Tail- Black Varnish under clear

View attachment 59266
They're ace Scierra! I reckon I'll be copying (y)

westie4566

Reaction score
I’m sure it’ll turn up at some point πŸ’ͺπŸŽ£πŸ˜„. And lots of people swear by brown Maxima, especially for spate water
It's nae called 'chameleon' for nothing. I've had a few goes with other stuff for barely even a spool in the past 40 years. Always go back to Maxima (y)

SnapT14

Reaction score
Congrats to all people who took part in this great competition. The entries are all great and some are just superb.

I must confess that I did sort of tie a few flies but after seeing what you guys have created I chickened out.

I'll think I'll stick to drinking wine.
That is something I am very good at.

Pete
Get em on Pete V. If your anything like me you will learn a massive amount from the many superb tyers on here

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Congrats to all people who took part in this great competition. The entries are all great and some are just superb.

I must confess that I did sort of tie a few flies but after seeing what you guys have created I chickened out.

Pete

Well you have no excuses for the next months challenge ;)

SnapT14

Reaction score

Pete
Judging by the amount of corks in the photos this month I'd say we are all good at drinking ..

Lamson v10

Reaction score
All I can say is it's gonna be a toughie whittling this one down πŸ˜‚. Well done to all who entered πŸ‘. There's
some seriously cracking fly's on show 😎. I'm away to open a wee bottle a whiskey to help me out πŸ₯ƒ

Andrew B

Reaction score
Here’s my entry for this month, a Silver Grey variant on tube and a Stoats Tail.

View attachment 59185

Silver Grey
tube: m & sx fits tube
tag: small silver tinsel & chartrousse utc thread
tail: chartrousse & fl green utc thread brushed open
belt: black antron
body: md oval tinsel (2/3) & black antron and silver ice dub mixed (1/3)
ribs: small silver tinsel
body hackle: light dun cock
hackles (between & front of wing layers): Capercaillie shoulder feathers
1st wing layer: marten, orange raccoon dog, & sss diamond pearl angel hair
2nd wing layer: brown bear
3rd wing layer: black fox, black angel hair, & krinkle mirror flash on sides
Jc’s and black size s fits turbo cone.

Stoats Tail
hook: Partridge salar, silver
tag: small silver tinsel
tail: crest
body: black silk
ribs: small silver tinsel
hackle: black cock
wing: black fox (body hair)
head: black thread
I’d not seen these. Cracking pair of flies that scream Salmon point fly and sea trout dropper.
Just gonna through the lot again before picking my vote.

Andrew B

Reaction score
These are what I will give a blast when hopefully I’ll be able to get out for a non cancelled fishing trip - may/June/July fingers crossed - have the Tyne in mind when I can go and see my parents for a few days after almost a year and half of not seeing them🀞

My combo is a Fish Tank Shrimp for the salmon - and the Executioner micro-tube for the sea trout

View attachment 57962
Fish Tank Shrimp:
Tube: lumo tube yellow
Tail 1: smidge over and under stripped orange artic fox to add an inner colour to the cuff/rostrum/tail - with the outer being a self dyed-Black pheasant rump, few strands Pearl midge flash.
Tail 2: 3-4 yellow/orange boar bristles
Butt: glo brite 4
Back Body: glo brite 4 with UTC mirage over to give an orangey pearlescent colour with silver wire rib
Mid Hackle: fluo orange cock - long
Front Body: black floss with silver wire rib
Front Hackle: white hen
Jc: orange JC
Head: Eumer S cone small

Micro-Executioner Tube:
Tube: Clear
Tail: GP topping ( double layer)
Tag: Silver Wire
Body 1 and 2: glo brite 3 into silver Mylar; Silver wire rib
Wing: stripped Artic Fox with couple of strands silver midge flash
Front hackle: Black Hen
JC
Cone: Future Fly hybrid 4mm metallic red

Tight linesπŸ‘πŸŽ£πŸŽ£πŸŽ£

Patrick
Jeepers (can’t say I’ve ever used that word) those two are seriously nice flies all round. Dyed jungle cock looks mega and what a difference these types of weighted flies have made on fishing?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Hi Pete, sea trout flies are often bigger versions of trout flies tied on singles commonly from #10 to #6 or small versions of salmon flies like the executioner (see DrP's post above) which will be on wee tubes or small doubles. Ignore the big snake flies (unless someone disagrees with me) because they would be a nightmare on a dropper. Blue and silver are good colours for sea trout e.g. the Teal, Blue and Silver fly.

For patterns, an internet search including 'sea trout flies Scotland' ,or swap Scotland for one of the fly buying sites like Fulling Mill, will no doubt throw a few patterns up for you too,. e.g. see the left of the page here Sea Trout Flies (graysofkilsyth.com) for a number of traditional singles.
Yeah snake flies are for the darkest times at night. Given the brief is Salmon and sea trout these summer casts are specifically for the types of rivers where sea trout can be taken and expected whilst salmon fishing? It’s all but pointless on the clear spate rivers of Wales but would work on the Tyne, Tweed, Spey and the Dee where sea trout can be taken in daylight.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Is it the Blue Elver that you're thinking of? That had a blue hackle (sometimes jay) with JC outer wing over so that the JC was surrounded by a blue halo. (note: not the version in the Davie McPhail video). More like this...

View attachment 58108
Late reply but no the fly had the barred Jay feathers paired together to form a wing with JC cheeks. It was on the cover of the T&S Hundred greatest flies or something?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Late reply but no the fly had the barred Jay feathers paired together to form a wing with JC cheeks. It was on the cover of the T&S Hundred greatest flies or something?
Not one I’m familiar then because that’s not even one of the blue jay series as they have no JC and it doesn’t sound like the blue jay Matuka either. Sorry I can’t help.

SnapT14

Reaction score
Yeah snake flies are for the darkest times at night. Given the brief is Salmon and sea trout these summer casts are specifically for the types of rivers where sea trout can be taken and expected whilst salmon fishing? It’s all but pointless on the clear spate rivers of Wales but would work on the Tyne, Tweed, Spey and the Dee where sea trout can be taken in daylight.
Sea trout are just as easy to catch by day as they are by night. Usually better on small flies but are occasional partial to a big fly. If they will take a big flying C in a spate, then they will take a well fished fly. They prefer a fast fly than salmon!

Generally, in Wales in particular the reason not many Sea Trout are caught by day is because people tend not to fish during the day for them. πŸ˜‰

Jockiescott

Reaction score
This is so difficult. I'm still undecided.

There are so many entries where I absolutely adore one fly but wouldn't necessarily fish it with the other!

This has been the hardest one to vote on yet. I'll get another look after I start drinking this evening again after Lent! πŸ˜‚

iainmortimer

Reaction score
In many ways I think that this format is the hardest given that two flies have to be chosen both of which have to catch the eye of the voter and be tied to a winning standard. However, while the theme may have been 'I cant decide' the voters had a far clearer vision of what they wanted which meant there was, unusually, a pretty big gap between each of the top three.

With 15 votes, gaining 1st place and 10 points: Spectrum Shrimp

With 11 votes for 2nd place and 7 points: DrPatrickT

With 7 Votes for 3rd place and 5 points: Clydebuilt

With 6 votes for 4th place and 3 points: Stephenb91

With 4 votes for 5th place and 2 points: Tony Mac

With 3 votes for 6th place and 1 point: mcandy, SnapT14, Andrzej

...and of course 4 points awarded for every entry regardless of placing. Well done everyone for another set of flies tied to a high standard right across the board and some great photography

Last edited: