POLL: Tie of the Month March 2021: I just can't decide!!

Who tied your favourite fly?

• Jockiescott

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Iain Mortimer

• Ypres

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • mc andy

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • DrPatrickT

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Anthony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pnut123

• Woodsy

• Beel

• willmorris

• Clydebuilt

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Timmins

• nickolas

• Tony Mac

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Flow

• Wormo

• SnapT14

• Stephenb91

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Logan Houston

• Spectrum Shrimp

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • SebasP

• FaughanPurple

• nwsalar

• Mattytree

• Doublehooked

• Ryan Houston

• Pubs

• SEDGY

• Andrzej

• Gavinmcc

• Slaneybs

• Tailfire

• GaryD

• LouisCha

• Bens_Flies

• Zamora

• westie4566

• Scierra

• easky

• Easer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slaneybs

Reaction score
In the West of Ireland, once the sea trout have started coming in late June, I always use 2 flies.
This mix of a Vambeck for the tail and a Bibio on the dropper is one of my go-to combinations. When the water drops you could fish as small as 8 or 10 for the Vambeck and a 10 or 12 for the Bibio. If I checked back over the years I would guess that the Bibio is one of my top three salmon flies and at least top 3 for seatrout.
Van B Bibio(002).jpg

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another TOTM getting down to the wire and I might add another that will take careful consideration before placing a vote.

You are all on another level from my flies! If this choice were as simple as picking which member ties better than I do it would be quite easy to just pick any of you but it won't be that easy.

LouisCha

Reaction score
To help choose two flies for this month, I mentally placed myself at the sea pool of my favourite small river on a warm July evening, the sun has just dipped behind the mountain, one or two fish have shown themselves and you just know something is going to happen. These are what I would tie on: #8 silver Ally's shrimp on the point and #12 black/silver (with green butt and blue beard) on the dropper.

P3280043.jpeg

iainmortimer

Reaction score
To help choose two flies for this month, I mentally placed myself at the sea pool of my favourite small river on a warm July evening, the sun has just dipped behind the mountain, one or two fish have shown themselves and you just know something is going to happen. These are what I would tie on: #8 silver Ally's shrimp on the point and #12 black/silver (with green butt and blue beard) on the dropper.

View attachment 59168
I love your description as much as the flies to the point I could just about hear the river and smell the damp aromas of the river bank!

Scierra

Reaction score

View attachment 59168
A silver body on any fly works wonders , great fly dressings

Bens_Flies

Reaction score
Hey there!
Finally I managed to tie the Flies for this month‘s entry. I decided to fish the „Dee Sheep“ as the main fly and a variant of the „Blue Charm“ for the Seatrout as a dropper.
D605067F-AB42-41E4-BD98-4C39E29D01C6.jpeg

DeeSheep
Hook: Patriot double Size 6
Tag: Gold Oval
Body: Floss Royal Blue
Ribbing: Gold Oval
1. Wing: Arctic Runner Yellow
Flash: Flashabou Accent Yellow
2. Wing: Shadow Fox Black
Fronthackle: Chinese cock Blue
Jungle Cock

BlueCharm
Hook: Partridge Heavy Single Size 4
Tag: Silver Oval+Yellow Floss
Tail: Gold Pheasant
Body: Red Steelhead Dubbing+Doc. Blue Floss
Ribbing: Silver Oval
1. Hackle: Chinese Cock Kingfisher Blue
Wing: Squirrel
2. Hackle: Chinese Cock Black
Jungle Cock

I think these are not the best tied Flies this month but I’m sure they will catch fish;)
Tight lines
Ben

Zamora

Reaction score
Here’s my entry for this month, a Silver Grey variant on tube and a Stoats Tail.

AA568D61-4217-41AB-9D67-BE4457917CA2.jpeg

Silver Grey
tube: m & sx fits tube
tag: small silver tinsel & chartrousse utc thread
tail: chartrousse & fl green utc thread brushed open
belt: black antron
body: md oval tinsel (2/3) & black antron and silver ice dub mixed (1/3)
ribs: small silver tinsel
body hackle: light dun cock
hackles (between & front of wing layers): Capercaillie shoulder feathers
1st wing layer: marten, orange raccoon dog, & sss diamond pearl angel hair
2nd wing layer: brown bear
3rd wing layer: black fox, black angel hair, & krinkle mirror flash on sides
Jc’s and black size s fits turbo cone.

Stoats Tail
hook: Partridge salar, silver
tag: small silver tinsel
tail: crest
body: black silk
hackle: black cock
wing: black fox (body hair)
head: black thread

Last edited:

SnapT14

Reaction score
Here’s my entry for this month, a Silver Grey variant on tube and a Stoats Tail.

View attachment 59185

Silver Grey
tube: m & sx fits tube
tag: small silver tinsel & chartrousse utc thread
tail: chartrousse & fl green utc thread brushed open
belt: black antron
body: md oval tinsel (2/3) & black antron and silver ice dub mixed (1/3)
body hackle: light dun cock
hackles (between & front of wing layers): capercaillie breast feathers
1st wing layer: marten, orange raccoon dog, & sss diamond pearl angel hair
2nd wing layer: brown bear
3rd wing layer: black fox, black angel hair, & krinkle mirror flash on sides
Jc’s and black size s fits turbo cone.

Stoats Tail
hook: Partridge salar, silver
tag: small silver tinsel
tail: crest
body: black silk
hackle: black cock
wing: black fox (body hair)
head: black thread
Lovely flies Zamora. That champagne cork looks familiar 🤔.... 🤪

westie4566

Reaction score
A late entry from me!

Decided to enter something I actually fish and had fish on. Dunkeld on the point and a red fritz Gurgler on the dropper. I've had fish swirl at the Gurgler and then take the point fly.

Dunkeld
Tag oval gold then yellow floss
Tail Indian crow sub over GP tippet over GP crest
Black ostrich herl
Body, flat gold ribbed with oval
Throat hackle Blue GF over fluo orange
Wing, stripped out fiery brown fox guard hairs with 4 strands of pheasant tail over

Gurgler

Tail fine red bucktail with a few strand pearl crystal flash
Underbody red fritz
Over body, cut out black foam tied with a lip at front.
totm.jpg

SnapT14

Reaction score
A late entry from me!

Decided to enter something I actually fish and had fish on. Dunkeld on the point and a red fritz Gurgler on the dropper. I've had fish swirl at the Gurgler and then take the point fly.

Dunkeld
Black ostrich herl
Wing, stripped out fiery brown fox guard hairs with 4 strands of pheasant tail over

Gurgler

Underbody red fritz
View attachment 59215
Gurgler looks great Andy? The Dunkeld 👌

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A late entry from me!

Dunkeld
Black ostrich herl

Gurgler

Underbody red fritz
View attachment 59215

I do wish you showed more of your tying on the forum sir. Always great quality! (y)

That gurgler is intriguing. I can just picture it plopping through two local pools with a good breeze from the West. I might have to try something similar for myself! ;)

westie4566

Reaction score
I do wish you showed more of your tying on the forum sir. Always great quality! (y)

That gurgler is intriguing. I can just picture it plopping through two local pools with a good breeze from the West. I might have to try something similar for myself! ;)
Cheers Jockie.

The gurgler is even better in the dead of night waking across a pool. I even had a seatrout in less than 2' of water a coule of seasons ago, just flicked it onto the water and stared pulling line of the reel to cast and the fish nailed it.

SnapT14

Reaction score
Cheers Jockie.

The gurgler is even better in the dead of night waking across a pool. I even had a seatrout in less than 2' of water a coule of seasons ago, just flicked it onto the water and stared pulling line of the reel to cast and the fish nailed it.
Gurgler is a great fly. Often people tend to fish them too big. Best hook up to land ratio is definitely on the smaller ones. Mine are on 8s and 10s B175 Singles

Scierra

Reaction score
And now for something completely different ! multi coloured not , very effective flies

Deadly Red ,& Black & Silver Shrimps

Deadly Red
Hook- Partridge Patriot size 6 double
Feelers 3 Red boar bristles
Head Whiskers-Scarlet red cock saddle fibres Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Red Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
Legs- approx 4/5 yellow boar bristles tied evenly
all round dressed curved outward tied in
(under the hackle)
Hackle - Scarlet Red cock
Tail - Red Varnish under clear

Black & Silver
Hook-Partridge Patriot size 8 double
Feelers -3 Yellow boar bristles
Head Whiskers- Black & yellow on top, cock saddle fibres
Black small shrimp eyes
Body -Silver holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
Legs- 4/5 Yellow boar bristles (ditto on D.R above.)
Hackle- Black Cock
Tail- Black Varnish under clear

Red & Black.jpeg

Last edited:

easky

Reaction score
Here's my couple for this month - for the salmon it has to be the Calvin's Shrimp one of my favourite patterns that I am never without! And when I think sea trout I always get drawn by black, silver and blue.. so a sparse Crathie for those late June early summer nights when you are waiting for the dusk to settle. Well done again Iain on the competition, lots of great entries yet again! :)

Final.jpg

Tyings:

Calvin's Shrimp
Tag: gold oval tinsel
Tail: red arctic runner, orange runner with angel hair over and finished with pink runner
Body: mix of red seal fur and yellow lite brite with mirage rib
Wing: Orange arctic fox with JC roofed
Front Hackles: orange cock with dyed red badger over
Head: hot orange

Crathie
Tag: silver oval tinsel
Body: silver flat tinsel with silver wire rib
Beard Hackle: light blue cock hackle tied to same length as wing and slim along body as per original tying
Wing: black squirrel again tied slim and along body, JC cheeks optional
Head: black

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Here's my couple for this month - for the salmon it has to be the Calvin's Shrimp one of my favourite patterns that I am never without! And when I think sea trout I always get drawn by black, silver and blue.. so a sparse Crathie for those late June early summer nights when you are waiting for the dusk to settle. Well done again Iain on the competition, lots of great entries yet again! :)

View attachment 59272

Tyings:

Calvin's Shrimp
Tag: gold oval tinsel
Tail: red arctic runner, orange runner with angel hair over and finished with pink runner
Body: mix of red seal fur and yellow lite brite with mirage rib
Wing: Orange arctic fox with JC roofed
Front Hackles: orange cock with dyed red badger over
Head: hot orange

Crathie
Tag: silver oval tinsel
Body: silver flat tinsel with silver wire rib
Beard Hackle: light blue cock hackle tied to same length as wing and slim along body as per original tying
Wing: black squirrel again tied slim and along body, JC cheeks optional
Head: black

Flies? 👍 Maxima? 👎 😂

Crackers Sir!!! 👌

Jockiescott

Reaction score
And now for something completely different ! multi coloured not , very effective flies

Deadly Red ,& Black & Silver Shrimps

The Deadly Red has grassed many salmon and seatrout on several rivers for myself and a pal the past 7 seasons, The Black and Silver dressed flies are noted for catching seatrout ,this dressing made its debut 2020 season, taking on the basic colours of a Stoats Tail again grassed 2 salmon and a 7lb seatrout last season , no crystal flash in sight, the stand out feature/attractor on both dressings for me are the holographic's and the "Eyes" and when viewed level from the rear, and all angles , gives the fly oop's ? shrimp, life !
I have approx 5 other "colour co-ordinated" , Pink ,Yellow, Red & Silver, Blue & Silver,Orange dressings of the shrimp flies in tubes doubles, singles, sun-rayed, all of which I have grassed salmon & seatrout in clear and peat stained water , The Red being the first and Black and Silver the last to grass fish on , Even tied a GWG type of dressing this close season, yet to be drowned because of covid restrictions.

Deadly Red
Hook- Partridge Patriot size 6 double
Feelers 3 Red boar bristles
Head Whiskers-Scarlet red cock saddle fibres Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Red Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
Legs- approx 4/5 yellow boar bristles tied evenly
all round dressed curved outward tied in
(under the hackle)
Hackle - Scarlet Red cock
Tail - Red Varnish under clear

Black & Silver
Hook-Partridge Patriot size 8 double
Feelers -3 Yellow boar bristles
Head Whiskers- Black & yellow on top, cock saddle fibres
Black small shrimp eyes
Body -Silver holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
Legs- 4/5 Yellow boar bristles (ditto on D.R above.)
Hackle- Black Cock
Tail- Black Varnish under clear

View attachment 59266

Two very fishy flies there scierra! Very nice! 👍

Easer

Reaction score
On the left is the leftovers of a Glenlivet Nadurra, and on the right is what is left of a Bunnahabhain Cruach Mhona, sadly, they are both long gone....:

b CE6A0052.jpg

Finished tying 8 minutes before sunset this evening, so I only had time for a very quick image, and also, they haven't had any head cement, as the varnish were still wet by the time of photography, so please ignore the sub-standard head finish....;- )

Any way, the flies are a Pahtagorva'esque something for the Salmon, and a big juicy (and slightly "blingy") "drowned" Daddy Longleg spider for the sea trout....

Absolutely basically fish has two things on mind, to eat and to avoid getting eaten, and if for instance someone is spin-fishing with a big flashy lure, then I have an idea that the fish are easily scared, as this big flashy thing is coming straight toward the fish kicking, and, is it a threat or is it a treat....?
-Which may keep the fish from taking, so in spin fishing, I think that a fly in front of the lure is a very good thing, as it basically "explain" the whole situation to the fish, like in "here comes a small fish, hunting something smaller, and I can eat both, if I'm quick about it...".

In rivers, they say that salmon doesn't hunt for food as such, and I think that thát hold true for the primary runs, but if a salmon is caught in low water up-river, before it has mated, then I would think that they do eat, and then the above psyhological mechanism may get into play in the river as well....?

But any way, salmon are very territorial, will fight for the best places in the river, and if something resembling for instance a brown trout (which I'll say that a swinging Pahtakorva does), then they WILL scare it away by snapping at their face, and then the fisherman may get lucky that it get stuck....;- )

And apart from thát, fish basically only care about eating and not getting eaten, and they are territorial, but if there's one more thing that fish is, then it is that they are jealous, so if a trapped in low water salmon see a brown trout about to take for instance a juicy snack spider, then it may steal the poor little guy's dinner, so, all in all, and just to say, I think that fishing with a dropper is not a terribly bad idea, not in summer-time anyway....

The Pahtakorva'esque thing is tied on a Tiemco 202SP size 1/0, and from the rear it has a short bit with blue wool, with a red and yellow Whiting Badger feather laid as tail, leaning towards the wool so they stand up like a crest tail would.
As I have no Junglecock, and as Pahtakorve does call for a such, I have made an eye from dubbed wool, white/black/white, and from within, the wing is dirty banana fox/rusty fox/black fox, and hackle 1 is a large brown heron, and hackle 2 is a small black heron.
The Herons are tied in by the tip, and the tied in tips have then been laid up in the "forehead" of the wing, instead of the Pahtakorva's forehead peacock herls.

The blingy Daddy Longleg is tied on a Gamakatsu F-22 size 6, with a body from black floss and oval silver tinsel, and the legs are a small black heron.

Bjarke.

Last edited: