Hook: Partidge long shank treble #18
Tag: Silver wire
Tail: Black bucktail, Ruby Red boar bristles and 2 strands Orange Krystal Flash
Body: Silver holo tinsel
Rib: Silver wire
Wing: Red dyed GP tippet over Black fox
Hackle: Black hen
Head: Red

This fly was all over the place at one point and has to remain a real fish catcher.

gwelsher

Reaction score
This simple wee flee has been very effective in low water especially on the upper Dee where I was given it by a local. The original did not have the throat but it has proved a good addition.
The tactic was to fish in the fast water right in the neck of the pool. Floating line, 3 foot of T17 and 1 foot leader. The fly moved so fast I would never have thought a fish could see it but they did.
I don't think you can get the HND doubles any longer unless you can find somebody with old stock. Pity as they a great strong small hook, typical of Partridge to discontinue them :mad:

JC Fly.jpg

Hook - Partridge HND double #12-16
Body - Bare hook
Hackle - Tiny tuft of Glo-Brite yarn #14
Wing - 3 strands Pearl micro Krystal Flash between Jungle Cock back to back

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Cracker Gary - I once ( in the olden days when I caught fish Or rather there were more daft fish about) had a super skinny crathie on a float head/5ft Ex super fast chucked it into a fast flow relatively square - and it just stopped. P’d off that I was instantly snagged on a boulder in the fast water I gave it a yank only to find it was a fish!! So thumbs up from me as I know that’ll do the business???

Jockiescott

Reaction score
This simple wee flee has been very effective in low water especially on the upper Dee where I was given it by a local. The original did not have the throat but it has proved a good addition.
The tactic was to fish in the fast water right in the neck of the pool. Floating line, 3 foot of T17 and 1 foot leader. The fly moved so fast I would never have thought a fish could see it but they did.
I don't think you can get the HND doubles any longer unless you can find somebody with old stock. Pity as they a great strong small hook, typical of Partridge to discontinue them :mad:

View attachment 46385

Body - Bare hook

Ohh!!! Now that's interesting!!! I do like that... ??

iainmortimer

Reaction score

View attachment 46385

Body - Bare hook

that looks like one of those flies that you’d put on as a last resort until the day you catch on it! Like with many trout flies there’s so little to it that real confidence is needed. It also leaves no where to hide but you’ve put it together perfectly.

gwelsher

Reaction score
Cracker Gary - I once ( in the olden days when I caught fish Or rather there were more daft fish about) had a super skinny crathie on a float head/5ft Ex super fast chucked it into a fast flow relatively square - and it just stopped. P’d off that I was instantly snagged on a boulder in the fast water I gave it a yank only to find it was a fish!! So thumbs up from me as I know that’ll do the business???

I think it was probably based on a Crathie, especially after I added that little throat ;)
That wee bit of blue I don't think makes any difference in the fast water, it was either bang or nothing, but picked up fish as the line was slowing down as it came into the calmer water.

gwelsher

Reaction score
that looks like one of those flies that you’d put on as a last resort until the day you catch on it! Like with many trout flies there’s so little to it that real confidence is needed. It also leaves no where to hide but you’ve put it together perfectly.

I could not believe it when I was given it and told how to fish it. 3 casts later I was a convert :D

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Mine was in fast water before it slowed to where I’d expect a possible fish. Must have had Bruce Lee responses -as it must have whipped past that quickly and hardly sunk. I also had a sea trout a few years back on a Mini red frances - the fly had literally just landed - again cast quite square so it would drop down to where I thought the fish would be. But - bang. Maybe it took offence to being boshed in the nose. But my best unexpected take was when I worked in Virginia in 2009 for a year - and spent all my weekends fishing the rivers there - I was fishing the Rappahannock (fishing with an ex military Veteran called Steve Moore - who I’d got in touch with via his Fishing blog - his dad was Colonel Hal Moore (We we’re Soldiers ) - anyway - that’s a different story !! - I cast to a possible spot and a decent small mouth bass launched out the water and took the fly mid air. It was unbelievable!! But back to your fly - i KNOW it’ll be a killer. All the best, Patrick

Kype King

Reaction score

View attachment 46385

Body - Bare hook
Interesting Gary! I assume you fish it square across the neck of the pool and let it swing round?

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Done some tying for first time in about a year so here goes:

Hook: Kamasan B280 Low Water double sz8
Thread: Uni 8/0 black
Butt: Silver wire then Green Globrite
Tail: Hot orange turkey biots
Body: Orange Pearl Mylar
Rib: Black Wire
Underwing: Orange GP Tippet
Wing: Bronze Mallard dyed Peach
Throat: Blue Hen Hackle

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Black green but type francis
Tail =natural red game cock hackles
2 boar bristles
3or4 stands of flash
Butt=green UTC thread
Body= black thread
Rib=gold oval
Hook=size 14View attachment 46461View attachment 46462View attachment 46461View attachment 46462

I like the look of these weird looking variants! First time I've come across them and now two turn up in one TOTM! BUT...(there's always a but isn't there) can you edit your post to leave just one photo which is one of the rules. You may need to scroll down on the edit screen to delete them as attachments rather than just deleting them in the text if that makes sense. Thanks :)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Done some tying for first time in about a year so here goes:

Hook: Low Water double sz8
Thread: Uni 8/0 black
Butt: Silver wire then Green Globrite
Tail: Hot orange turkey biots
Body: Orange Pearl Mylar
Rib: Black Wire
Underwing: Orange GP Tippet
Wing: Bronze Mallard dyed Peach
Throat: Blue Hen Hackle

That's a really nice fly and I love the last photo too. As above though, for the purposes of the competition could you delate all but the one photo you'd like to put to the vote. I'd love to see the rest kept though so maybe add them in the fly tying pages? Thanks, Iain

noeyedeer

Reaction score
That's a really nice fly and I love the last photo too. As above though, for the purposes of the competition could you delate all but the one photo you'd like to put to the vote. I'd love to see the rest kept though so maybe add them in the fly tying pages? Thanks, Iain

Ok, done (not used to the comp/rules so happy to comply!)
Lost the fly in a low water Ribble last time out so don't have an optimised pic but that will have to do this time around until I tie some more!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Ok, done (not used to the comp/rules so happy to comply!)
Lost the fly in a low water Ribble last time out so don't have an optimised pic but that will have to do this time around until I tie some more!

No problem at all and easy done. Its great to have such a fine entry. Question though, what pattern of hook is it. Just wondering as it looks like its got a decent strength wire in it compared to something like the Kamasan version.

Stormforce10

Reaction score
I like the look of these weird looking variants! First time I've come across them and now two turn up in one TOTM! BUT...(there's always a but isn't there) can you edit your post to leave just one photo which is one of the rules. You may need to scroll down on the edit screen to delete them as attachments rather than just deleting them in the text if that makes sense. Thanks :)
Think I've managed ?

noeyedeer

Reaction score
No problem at all and easy done. Its great to have such a fine entry. Question though, what pattern of hook is it. Just wondering as it looks like its got a decent strength wire in it compared to something like the Kamasan version.
Just checked - The hook is indeed a Kamasan B280 Low Water Double!
I've edited the pattern...

gwelsher

Reaction score
Interesting Gary! I assume you fish it square across the neck of the pool and let it swing round?

Cast square and just let it come round in the fast water. When it slows down at the end of the cast tweak it back as you can get a lot of takes from fish lying on the edge of the current.

gwelsher

Reaction score
May work on a Nordic Tube single?

It could work on anything but I like the thought of 2 points in that fast water. The HND was perfect because it is silver, well the original ones were, and a very heavy wire that helped get the fly down and was also strong enough to hold a good fish.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
It could work on anything but I like the thought of 2 points in that fast water. The HND was perfect because it is silver, well the original ones were, and a very heavy wire that helped get the fly down and was also strong enough to hold a good fish.

Yes agreed, I’m also a fan of the HND after springer recommended them a few yrs back. Still have some , v strong and shame they’re discontinued!