• fishhead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gwelsher

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to the June 2020 Tie of the Month competition.

TOTM Introduction
The format of the 2020 Tie of the Month competition will remain the same as it was last year as it worked so well i.e. open to everyone, a separate section for any newcomers to salmon fly tying and all you need to do for entry is to submit a photo of a fly that meets the rules of that months theme and the eleven commandments below.

You can enter every month or just the odd few but note that points are awarded just for entering! The only exception will be December when we’ll retain voting for the 'Fly of the Year' as chosen from the winners of each monthly competition.

As a tip, the fly you think is the best dressed, best photographed and most true to the original does not always win and so don’t be put off giving it a go or trying a bit of experimentation.

May TOTM theme: 'Bit of a drought in tying'
The rain is raining all around,
It falls on field and tree,
It rains on the umbrellas here,
And on the ships at sea.
(Robert Louis Stevenson: 1850-1895)

As much as its really nice to sit out on the decking with a cold beer and the BBQ sizzling it would be very nice if Robert Louis Stevenson was making his rhyme today. We really have gone from one extreme to the other with the seriously heavy rainfall and record floods in February to the driest May on record and April wasn't much better! Out of interest, I looked up the rainfall and river level reports for England and the most recent states (3rd week of May):

It has been another dry week across much of England, with rainfall totals ranging from less than 1mm in east and south-east England to 11mm in north-west England. Cumulative rainfall totals for May ranged from 6% of the monthly long term average in east and south-east England to 28% in north-west England. River flows have decreased at more than four-fifths of the key sites that we report on, The latest river flows were classed as below normal or lower, for the time of year, at three-quarters of sites. Flows were classed as exceptionally low at a sixth of the sites we report on.

Strangely though and despite the low flows, for those lucky enough to get out, a fair few fresh silvery salmon have been caught and when they haven't been caught they've been seen. Not unsurprisingly though those catching have most often been using small flies or very light spinners often in floating versions. Forget the spinners though because this is about fly tying. Talking of which, and to finally get to the point, this months theme is not going to be surprising because its focus is low, warm water. The things you turn to in desperation when the river feels more like a gravel track than a waterway. That's it. That's all the guidance you're getting. To some that lack of specifics may be easy, to others difficult, but in all cases I'm sure many will find it helpful to see the wonderful creations that are as yet just a bundle of materials but will eventually prove deadly in low water and hot summer days.

Specific Guidance:
• There isn't any really. Just the general requirement to make it a low water pattern be that a micro tube, tiny treble or long supple beastie like a sunray. Does the pattern you've chosen qualify, that will be up to the voters...
• Please include a materials list. Your entry won’t be rejected without one but many of the viewers like to copy the flies and the material list really helps.

Eleven commandments
1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome to enter as many or as few months as you choose. As it currently stands there are no prizes this year and so enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result. If a sponsor comes forward at any time that will be posted in the TOTM folder.

2. Anybody who has started tying salmon flies in the last 12 months can highlight this on their first entry to be considered for the title of 'Best Newcomer'

3. You can only enter one photo. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified.

4. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must be as far as possible identical in size and form so that it’s clear what is being voted for.

5. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM.

6. To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.

7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month and be open to everyone on the forum.

8. The December competition will be to decide the 'Tie of The Year', where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions. The points for this will be awarded in the same way as every other month.

9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the accolade of TOTM Winner and/or Best Newcomer

10. The competition will run from February 2020 to December 2020

11. Points will be awarded each month as follows. In the event of a tie for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, all tied participants will get the full points available for the placing.
• First place: 10 points
• Second place: 8 points
• Third place: 7 points.
• Each monthly competition entered: 4 points.

This means that you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

CharlesW
CharlesW.jpg

Woodsy
Woodsy.JPG

PerryPoker
PerryPoker.jpeg

Logan Houston
logan houston.jpg

JockieScott
Jockiescott.jpg

Ryan Houston
Ryan Houston.jpg

doublehooked
doublehooked.JPG

LouisCha
LouisCha.jpeg

mc andy
mc andy.jpg

stormforce10
stormforce10.jpg

nwsalar
nwsalar.png

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.JPG

firefly
firefly.JPG

noeyedeer
noeyedeer.jpg

pfeul
pfeul.jpg

Clydebuilt
Clydebuilt.jpg

Andrzej
Andrzej.jpg

Grassy_Knollington
Grassy_Knollington.jpeg

Gpu
Gpu.jpg

iainmortimer
iainmortimer.jpeg

fishhead
fishhead.jpg

gwelsher
gwelsher.jpg

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All,

My entry this month is a hybrid of a Frances and a Zelda - on a size 15 salar. I know folk are expecting little silver stoats, hitches etc. - but i've got plenty of those in the box - and because it's TOTM I thought I'd be a bit more adventurous - I know the whole Frances thing is a bit marmite for folk - But I tried them a couple of years ago - and although never had a salmon on them I did get a sea trout off the Blue Chair at Commonty in super low water (plus greedy trout and parr)- so I’ve tied the version that worked - a Willie Gunn variant

franc n zelda.JPG

Hook: Salar size 15
Tail: Mix orange and yellow boar bristles; 2 of each
Rostrum: Over and under mix of orange and yellow cock feather fibres; fleck of peacock and orange ripple ice fibre
Tag and rib: Semperfli light gold wire (their wires are good - their tinsels are poor)
Body: Touch of flat lead and black over
Head: Glo brite 3
Pike bond over from tag to head in layers to get taper

All the best, Patrick

Jockiescott

Reaction score
What weird looking things!!! But weird in a wonderfully good way!!! You can guarantee that the fish won't have seen anything like those which, sometimes, can make all the difference.

Excellent outside of the box thinking.

Brilliant!!!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Hi All,

My entry this month is a hybrid of a Frances and a Zelda - on a size 15 salar. I know folk are expecting little silver stoats, hitches etc. - but i've got plenty of those in the box - and because it's TOTM I thought I'd be a bit more adventurous - I know the whole Frances thing is a bit marmite for folk - But I tried them a couple of years ago - and although never had a salmon on them I did get a sea trout off the Blue Chair at Commonty in super low water (plus greedy trout and parr)- so I’ve tied the version that worked - a Willie Gunn variant

View attachment 45622

Rostrum: Over and under mix of orange and yellow cock feather fibres; fleck of peacock and orange ripple ice fibre
Tag and rib: Semperfli light gold wire (their wires are good - their tinsels are poor)

All the best, Patrick
Those are great and yet again, a perfect opener to this months competition showing inventiveness as well as a clear fit to the brief. A high bar set for the rest of us!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Those are great and yet again, a perfect opener to this months competition showing inventiveness as well as a clear fit to the brief. A high bar set for the rest of us!
thanks Iain - phew! Glad it fits the brief and really happy you like it

pfeul

Reaction score
Together with a tiny Haugur and a tiny black Frances, the Lochy shrimp is my preferred low water pattern fished fast and square

Here's my take:
- white thread
- Hook patriot size 14 silver (a shame they don't do a size 16)
- tag oval silver tinsel
- Black artic runner 1.5 the length of the body
- 2 strands or angel hair
- Tiny bunch of yellow angel hair between 2.5 and 3 times the length of the body,
- angel dub silver body
- Lakeland brahma rooster dyed blue 2 turns
- wing jungle cock tied as a V
- red head + 3 coats of varnish
IMG_20200603_133246.jpg

mc andy

Reaction score
Hi All,

View attachment 45622

All the best, Patrick
That has fish catcher written all over it! Love it dr 👏 👏 (y)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'll try this wee one based on a Night Hawk. I might change it in the coming days and add the Kingfisher blue cheeks that this one is missing.

IMG_20200603_215029.jpg

Tag: oval silver
Butt: fluoro yellow floss
Tail: topping
Butt: scarlet Glo brite
Body: holographic silver ribbed with silver oval
Hackle: black hen
Wing: Black Tanuki
Eyes: JC
Head: red

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Dark Mackerel inspired flamethrower
A seatrout staple yes, but not to be overlooked for Salmon.

Forgot how fiddly these wee doubles get in #14 and smaller...

Hook: Kamasan B270 in Size 14
Tag: Small gold wire
Rear Body: Red tinsel
Mid Hackle: Claret Cock
Front body: Gold wire over Claret Seals fur
Wing: Mallard slip
Front hackle: Caret cock with JC to finish

Cheers

Cb

IMAG6341_1.jpg

firefly

Reaction score
Tied a bunch of these ones for a young angler keen on going to Russia for the first time in the fall (if he's allowed). I guess they fit in this category and I never showed them anywhere before being too busy catching on them. Its record on my rod stands at 11 backend fish in just over two hours.

Ken Sawada low water double size 10
Red binding thread 8/0
Fine orange dyed boar bristles
Red dyed mallard flank feather (may appear pinkish in the sunlight but it's deep red)
Red floss with fine silver ribbing, coated with two layers of bug bond.

DSC_0264.JPG

Woodsy

Reaction score
First attempt at FOTM but look forward to taking part more often.

Ballina Grey Shrimp Variant (Atkins low water style)
Hook: Double trout size 14 B270
Tag: Flat silver
Rear body: Orange floss
Rear rib: Copper wire
Mid hackle: Golden pheasent breast tied to extend as a tail
Front body: Blue floss
Front rib: Copper wire
Front hackle: Silver badger

The original has a grizzle and white hackle so I went for badger front.

The Ballina Grey Shrimp shrimp is a well known very low water fly on the Moy. I caught a fish back in the extreme drought of July 2018 with it but haven't caught on it since.

I'm no photographer so excuse the quality, I really enjoyed testing a few angles and backdrops.

Hope you like itP6100633.JPG

Gpu

Reaction score
Some crackers on here already! Super tying.

My go to low water fly is a green butt variant this one is on a size 14. I used copper wire as it’s all I have in the small size, the fish dont mind I hope.

G

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
And finally one from me. I’ve no idea what it is (can someone enlighten me?) but it’s a fly that was given to me by a ghillie on the Munster Blackwater. Quite similar to the stoat family of flies

hook: Partridge Patriot #12
Thread: red 6/0 uni
Tag and rib: small oval gold tinsel
Tail and throat: vicuña dubbing sunburst soft hackle
Body: holographic gold flat tinsel
Wing: bleached and dyed black grey squirrel, two strands of gold fine crystal flash
Cheeks: jungle cock

F9899244-ED0E-441D-9329-AC3BF079A43E.jpeg

mc andy

Reaction score
Here is my take on a Wilkinson shrimp. No matter how many times I try and keep things sparse the camera seems to make everything look heavily dressed 😊🤔. Hats off to woodsy! As he has nailed it with his shrimp. 👏👏.

Anyway. My offering.
Size 13salar
Pheasant rump tail
Mother pearl dub body
Pink grizzle hackle mid body
Blue grizzle head hackle
Couple of strands pearl flash in the tail.
IMG_20200615_203154.jpg

Cheers andy

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Here is my take on a Wilkinson shrimp. No matter how many times I try and keep things sparse the camera seems to make everything look heavily dressed 😊🤔. Hats off to woodsy! As he has nailed it with his shrimp. 👏👏.

Anyway. My offering.
Size 13salar
Pheasant rump tail
Mother pearl dub body
Pink grizzle hackle mid body
Blue grizzle head hackle
Couple of strands pearl flash in the tail.
View attachment 46076

Cheers andy
I’ve not seen that one before but I love the colour combo.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
View attachment 46140

a low water style blue charm I actually have some vintage ones on extreme longshank doubles I guess before they invented sinking lines they used the weight of the hooks
I’ve always wondered if the thinking at the time was that big fish required a big hook and so while small flies were required to get a take, they were still tied on a big lump of metal. I hadn’t thought about line technology but guess that would be a big part too!

Nice neat tying by Logan -not always easy on a mini version of the Francis.

Andrzej

Reaction score
Here is my fly for this month, the Silver Stoat - cascade style, taken from Chris Mann 'The Complete Illustrated Directory of Salmon Flies'.

hook: VMC #12
Thread: black 8/0 uni
Tail: bucktail and fine pearl crystal flash
Body: flat silver tinsel
Rib: small oval silver tinsel
Wing: squirrel and fine pearl crystal flash
Collar: cock

Fly450.jpg