Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrzej

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
View attachment 47489
when I got Logan to first practice hackles I gave him a longshank hook and told him to see how many he could get on it I thought he would get 3 maybe 4 but he got halfway up it with about 10 different ones on it and I had it in my mind then that I would get him to tie a dapping fly soon but this months remit gave us the excuse

That pattern hooked my first ever trout, sea trout and salmon and so has a sentimental value to me as well as being a very effective fly. That is a very fine version and I hope Logan gets to use it one day with the same level of success?

Last edited:

PerryPoker

Reaction score
My entry this for this month is a cross between a Bomber and a Jambo. Neither of which I have ever used before but it was good fun messing about.

DE6A102A-CA73-4E65-BD04-7F9EEFF16F04.jpeg

Hook: Size 4 streamer single
Stinger: Size 16 treble, intruder wire and pearl Mylar tied on with glo brite no.4
Tail: brown bucktail & pearl Krystal flash
Body: Tan deer hair
Head: black

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
ive used the heated pin thingy before but found it difficult not to go right through like you say also i find the hole likes to contract and close over again

What I meant with putting the end through both holes (?) - was the tippet not the needle. I always poke holes both sides (?) and sometimes the tippet goes through (hence trying to put an angle on the hole) - or just put your finger over the other hole while threading (?). I’ve stopped putting a hole on one side only because you never know when you’ll need the other side!!! (?) - and I don’t think the hole on the other side Of the side you want acts like an open drain pulling the fly down - so personally I’d stick it through both sides (?). A fine point file ( I got a cheapo set off eBay For removing burrs on self cut tubes) should help open a hole or your tying scissors.

I’d be interested in you hitch pros - do you think it matterS or not if you have holes on both sides ( and I don’t mean the House of Commons)?

Also, for hitch tubes I’ll take the outer, heat the front and ‘blunt end it’ ie when front soft push on hard surface to close the hole and act as a lip to tie off against.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
What I meant with putting the end through both holes (?) - was the tippet not the needle. I always poke holes both sides (?) and sometimes the tippet goes through (hence trying to put an angle on the hole) - or just put your finger over the other hole while threading (?). I’ve stopped putting a hole on one side only because you never know when you’ll need the other side!!! (?) - and I don’t think the hole on the other side Of the side you want acts like an open drain pulling the fly down - so personally I’d stick it through both sides (?). A fine point file ( I got a cheapo set off eBay For removing burrs on self cut tubes) should help open a hole or your tying scissors.

I’d be interested in you hitch pros - do you think it matterS or not if you have holes on both sides ( and I don’t mean the House of Commons)?

Also, for hitch tubes I’ll take the outer, heat the front and ‘blunt end it’ ie when front soft push on hard surface to close the hole and act as a lip to tie off against.

Having read around a fair bit I don’t bother with two holes - I just put one in the bottom and I can fish off either side. Also I don’t bother sealing the front of the tube and can’t say I’ve had a problem with the guy not waking either. I like the simple life me!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Having read around a fair bit I don’t bother with two holes - I just put one in the bottom and I can fish off either side. Also I don’t bother sealing the front of the tube and can’t say I’ve had a problem with the guy not waking either. I like the simple life me!

interesting - I blunt end it under the impression it’ll have a better surface area to push -has anyone put one in those ‘fly tanks’ - I’m wondering if the flex in the line naturally just helps force it up - throwing a hitch round a muddler head does - so all worries about one hole/two holes/ front open are irrelevant??? All I know is that I was happy with the test subjects i played with last Tuesday on the Welsh Dee ( I used a free swing hook - again probably in the possible mistaken belief that by having the weight separate from the body it would Help keep the hitch ‘up’) -they swam with a nice v !! Can’t wait to give them a proper go - and one is a Haugur style!

Andrzej

Reaction score
i tried fishing bombers the last day i was out looked good floated over dozens of fresh fish NO TAKES
I changed plans and didn't fish on Saturday, so didn't try my fly yet. Have you Ryan caught any salmon on this kind of fly? Must be quite exciting to look a salmon taking the bomber. By the way, excellent fly from your son posted on this competition (y)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
interesting - I blunt end it under the impression it’ll have a better surface area to push -has anyone put one in those ‘fly tanks’ - I’m wondering if the flex in the line naturally just helps force it up - throwing a hitch round a muddler head does - so all worries about one hole/two holes/ front open are irrelevant??? All I know is that I was happy with the test subjects i played with last Tuesday on the Welsh Dee ( I used a free swing hook - again probably in the possible mistaken belief that by having the weight separate from the body it would Help keep the hitch ‘up’) -they swam with a nice v !! Can’t wait to give them a proper go - and one is a Haugur style!

Yes for as I understand it, the angle of the line into the fly is the important thing which is why throwing the hitch around a muddler head, or historically further back on any fly, makes it ride high.

Last edited:

ryan houston

Reaction score
I changed plans and didn't fish on Saturday, so didn't try my fly yet. Have you Ryan caught any salmon on this kind of fly? Must be quite exciting to look a salmon taking the bomber. By the way, excellent fly from your son posted on this competition (y)
no i just tried it because there is a pool where there were hundreds of salmon in a glide that is too slow for normal flies they jumped all around my fly but no takers, this year there is a huge run of fish so i thought if ever there was a chance of catching fish on wierd flies this was the year to experiment

Woodsy

Reaction score
Green butt micro tube

Intended for skating on the surface but you could easily add some junction tubing over the butt with a hole for it to hitch across the surface.

Tube: 5mm long of green 2mm wide bunch o balloons tubing.
Hook: size 18 patridge x1 treble
Butt: DFM green floss over fluorescent white thread. Varnished twice for durability and sheen.
Body: black floss
Rib: small silver oval
Throat: black cock fibres from saddle
Wing: small pinch of black squirrel, 2 strands of pearl flash and a small pinch of black shadow fox tail.
P7240771.JPG

Coneheads

Reaction score
Green butt micro tube

Intended for skating on the surface but you could easily add some junction tubing over the butt with a hole for it to hitch across the surface.

Tube: 5mm long of green 2mm wide bunch o balloons tubing.
Hook: size 18 patridge x1 treble
Butt: DFM green floss over fluorescent white thread. Varnished twice for durability and sheen.
Body: black floss
Rib: small silver oval
Throat: black cock fibres from saddle
Wing: small pinch of black squirrel, 2 strands of pearl flash and a small pinch of black shadow fox tail.
View attachment 47813
Wow that is truly a micro tube (y) at a guess the length of the body is approx 4mm to 5mm at max,

iainmortimer

Reaction score
From a micro tube to a big hairy beastie! My entry is the good old daddy long legs - one of the most reliable dapping ladies there is on its many different colours and forms. This one is:

Hook: #8 Kamasan B800
Thread: 6/0 tan
Body: tan closed cell foam
Legs : knotted pheasant tail
Flash: two strands of gold crystal flash
Wings: grizzle cock hackle tips
Hackle: fiery ginger cock, flourescent red cock

D11A8A7B-973D-45D3-9157-B19AC0E8CD35.jpeg

Coneheads

Reaction score
From a micro tube to a big hairy beastie! My entry is the good old daddy long legs - one of the most reliable dapping ladies there is on its many different colours and forms. This one is:

Hook: #8 Kamasan B800
Thread: 6/0 tan
Body: tan closed cell foam
Legs : knotted pheasant tail
Flash: two strands of gold crystal flash
Wings: grizzle cock hackle tips
Hackle: fiery ginger cock, flourescent red cock

View attachment 47878
And now for something completely different, (y) I have never done dapped for salmon or seatrout on a loch, never much wrote on this method , only on trout loch fishing,,,great tying though Ian.

Last edited:

CharlesW

Reaction score
Here's a fly that I could envisage using on a Highland loch. It's my version of the Loch Ordie.

Loch Ordie 4sm.jpg

Hook : Size 8 low water single
Tail : GP red body fibres
Body : Black cock hackle, Blue dun cock hackle, Red game cock hackle, Badger cock hackle, White cock hackle
Wing : Small bunch of white deer hair. (the butts form a small head)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I really enjoyed seeing the outcome of all the creative juices that were flowing this month due to the broad range of flies and materials that were put to such good use on everything from the smallest wee tube to great muckle beasties and everything in between. There was no difficulty in working out who won this month though with the voting finding a clear favourite so the results are:

1st place and 10 points, Clydebuilt who romped home with more than a third of the votes. Its never easy to keep control of deer hair and get a nice tight spun head let alone to do so in miniature and with a collar of two other colours! That was achieved perfectly though and so very well deserved...please tell me there were a few 'out-takes' that we didn't get to see! ;)

2nd place and 8 points, NW Salar. Another extremely well tied deer hair pattern and I really struggled to narrow down my own vote because of this fly. Great photography too.

3rd place and 7 points each go to Doublehooked and DrPatrickT again with deer hair clearly attracting the votes. Lovely flies gentlemen.

I hope that seeing such a brilliant selection of surface flies encourages a few more people to work the surface and experience for themselves the adrenalin surge that is unavoidable on seeing spray fly as a big fish attacks a fly fished on the surface.

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I really enjoyed seeing the outcome of the all the creative juices that were flowing this month due to the broad range of flies and materials that were put to such good on everything from the smallest wee tube to great muckle beasties and everything in between. there was no difficulty in working out who won this month though with the voting finding a clear favourite so the results are:

1st place and 10 points, Clydebuilt who romped home with more than a third of the votes. Its never easy to keep control of deer hair and get a nice tight spun head let alone to do so in miniature and with a collar of two other colours! That was achieved perfectly though and so very well deserved...please tell me there were a few 'out-takes' that we didn't get to see! ;):ROFLMAO:

2nd place and 8 points, NW Salar. Another extremely well tied deer hair pattern and I really struggled to narrow down my own vote because of this fly. Great photography too.

3rd place and 7 points each go to Doublehooked and DrPatrickT again with deer hair clearly attracting the votes. Lovely flies gentlemen.

I hope that seeing such a brilliant selection of surface flies encourages a few more people to work the surface and experience for themselves the adrenalin surge that is unavoidable on seeing spray fly as a big fish attacks a fly fished on the surface.

Congratulations everyone!!!

At times with these, you really cannot predict the outcome. At other times, you see an entry and have a good idea that it's going to be the winner. That was certainly the case for me with CB's fantastic tube. A very worthy winner.

Thanks again to Iainmortimer for another excellent theme and letting us see patterns, and indeed try patterns, we probably would not otherwise have tried.

Well done to all involved! ??

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Top stuff by ClydeBuilt - should be charged with CBH for how he beat the rest of us. I’m a big fan of CB’s flies- he’s not afraid to experiment and definitely has an eye for aesthetics - always lovely flies. Well done.

Well done everyone else, not sure I deserved a third place based on the other flies in the comp!