• Woodsy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrzej

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to the July 2020 Tie of the Month competition.

July TOTM theme: " Mostly afloat? "

As a catch line that used to be regularly used in entertainment went, “…and now for something completely different” for despite the fact that my salmon fly fishing began on the lochs around the Altnaharra Hotel while dapping a Loch Ordie, the vast majority of my salmon fishing has been on rivers which I suspect is the case for most. However, I still love sitting in a boat, rocking in time with a ‘wee salmon wave’ (meaning 3-4’ feet and water splashing your back :oops: ), while tripping a dapped fly across the surface. In fact I think that nothing can beat the excitement of seeing a decent sea trout or salmon rolling over as your fly disappears and the fish dives for the deep. Of course its not just still water where dry flies are used for there are also a number of flies designed for surface fishing on our rivers from tiny hitch flies to big clunky muddlers and bombers.

Sadly though I believe that using a dry fly for salmon and dapping in particular is a dying art supported by the tiny percentage of flies that I’ve seen displayed on here that have been tied for use on the surface be that in deep, slate coloured expanses of water or our fast flowing rivers although the interest in hitch flies is beginning to reverse that perceived decline. Therefore this month, I think that it's time we had a wonderful selection of surface flies to display for all to see. I did think about restricting the rules to only allow dapping flies but feel that is overly limiting and so this months competition will be open to any fly designed to be fished on the surface for salmon or for sea trout be that in loch, lough or running water.

Specific Guidance:
  • You can tie on any hook or tube you choose
  • The fly must be recognised as a pattern specifically designed for fishing on the surface either as a dry fly or for waking.

CharlesW
CharlesW.png

Zamora
Zamora.png

DoubleHooked
Doublehooked.png

Logan Houston

Logan Houston.png

Ryan Houston
Ryan Houston.png

Stanislavck
stanislavck.png

Clydebuilt
Clydebuilt.png

PerryPoker
PerryPoker.png

JockieScott
Jockiescott.png

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.png

NWSalar
NWsalar.png

Iain Mortimer
IainMortimer.png

Woodsy
Woodsy.png

Andrzej
Andrzej.png

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'll put forward a 'Silver Bullet' - basically a mini-skating muddler head, with a Alastair-style bucktail skirt. I've used a dubbing loop to pass some flash through the deer hair fibres. I add floatant to these - and for me, they are for moving water

IMG_1372_silver bullet.JPG

Materials list:
Tube - Short red outer (about 5-6 mm) with inner inserted and extending out, burr the end of the inner at the length you want, to give you a lip to tie up to
Hook Holder: Home made tapered hook holder for free swing - following a video Pfeul posted ( (y) ) in the thread below:

I'd probably use a smaller hook and probably a double - but that was what was small and handy without searching in my unopened fishing bag. If you don't want to free swing - you can sit the hook in the back of the outer (but that means you need to make sure the inner is only inserted part way into the outer)

Rostrum/Skirt: Mix yellow and orange bucktail, 3-4 strands midge flash evenly round - then smidge slightly longer black buck over

Deer Hair body: First layer of deer hair - so you get the nice straggly bits at the back - at this point prepare your dubbing loop and keep it out the way. Then add sections of deer hair like a muddler close to your burred lip on the inner. Start trimming hair (I'm no barbour and mine looks like it's done it's own 'Lockdown Haircut':D) - until you get that muddler shape

Dubbing loop: Once you've done your trimming - put flash (silver) into the dubbing loop and twist -it's fiddly but have a look how it's wrapping over and adjust tinsel position (I wanted the flash more in one place - so would test wrap round the body to see where the flash would end up). When happy, take dubbing loop and pull in between the deer hair fibres tight and tie dubbing loop off at head.

Head: Semperfli pre-waxed Fl. orange - couple of coats of SallyHAN

All the best, Patrick

nwsalar

Reaction score
A black buck bug modeled after the Canadian Black Dose.

Hook: Partridge CS42/R Bomber
Thread: 70 Denier Black Ultra Thread for Tip/Tag/Head. Gel Spun Thread for Spinning the Body.
Tip: Small Oval French Tinsel
Tag: Fluorescent Orange and Blue Floss
Body: Spun Black Deer Hair
Hackle: #12 Whiting Black Dry Fly /Magenta Hen Hackle

IMG_5712.JPG

stanislavck

Reaction score
Hello all!

A parachute bomber variation by me.
My first time entering TOTM and my 4th salmon fly in general :D

Hook: Low water single
Thread: Glo-brite Fluorecent Pink (Tag,Head)
Body: Olive deer hair
Wing: Polypropylene yarn (Red)

Stan

Attachments

• 20200705_145625.jpg
    20200705_145625.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56

Zamora

Reaction score
Ok, not the nicest one, but in right conditions really effective. Foam hitch. Large clear tube, black buck tail and pink foam sylinder (Hends booby eyes). Easy, fast and effective (y)

ED52CF97-CD20-4069-B82C-1F4A5F8A9FB1.jpeg

E: I forget to trim the tube, I’ll cut maybe 5-7mm off and punch hole under the tube.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'll have a go with this relatively simple one.

My attempt at Michael Jensen's Danish seatrout pattern, the Black widow muddler.

IMG_20200712_203200.jpg

Body: Black seals fur mixed with future fly after midnight dubbing.
Wing: Black Tanuki (or fox)
Head: Spun Black deer hair

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I'll try this wee chap

Tube: 12mm plastic
Tag: Globrite No5
Body: UTC mirage tinsel
Wing: Red/Yellow/Black buck, under black cashmere with smolt blue Krystal flash and ripple ice fibre
Head: 2-tone Red/Yellow/Black clipped buck behind natural winter Roe muddler head with a few fibres left long on top

IMAG6564_1_1.jpg

Cheers

Cb

mc andy

Reaction score
I'll try this wee chap

Wing: Red/Yellow/Black buck, under black cashmere with smolt blue Krystal flash and ripple ice fibre
Head: 2-tone Red/Yellow/Black clipped buck behind natural winter Roe muddler head with a few fibres left long on top

View attachment 47175

Cheers

Cb
That's Friggin amazing! ? ? (y)

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Took the words from my mouth -except I started the sentence with ‘fecking hell’.

I was wondering what ClydeBuilt Would enter - and it doesn’t disappoint. Nice work CB (y) (y) (y)
Thank you DrP?
There were a good few f**king hells expelled tying it too?

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Lol I bet that two tone deer trim made you sweat! Yours makes my muddler head look like I used a wooden dagger. Anyway CB, always like your style and you got me in to the cigarettes of flash - ice fibre :D (y)

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I'll try this wee chap

View attachment 47175

Cheers

Cb

Now that's one quality fly sir ?

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
You’ve done a great job there Andrzej. Nice profile on your trimmed body - looks great (looks better than the ones I bought from Dr Jonas Iceland ) I still fancy giving these a chuck in a UK river but perhaps not on a dead drift which I’d love to see a fish chomp on - but These must work as a skater- and definitely must work for night time sea trout. Great work ?

Andrzej

Reaction score
You’ve done a great job there Andrzej. Nice profile on your trimmed body - looks great (looks better than the ones I bought from Dr Jonas Iceland ) I still fancy giving these a chuck in a UK river but perhaps not on a dead drift which I’d love to see a fish chomp on - but These must work as a skater- and definitely must work for night time sea trout. Great work ?
Thank you Patrick :D Though this pattern is not too complicated to tie, but it's quite time consuming. Probably I could cut the body even more, especially this hump on the top, but was afraid a bit that with one wrong cut I would ruin the fly.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I think the hump at the front gives it a better surface area - so I’d be happy with it. If as they say the UK fish aren’t for deaddrift - that front end will cause a nicer wake. Nicely tied - go on give it a swim!!! ?

Andrzej

Reaction score
I think the hump at the front gives it a better surface area - so I’d be happy with it. If as they say the UK fish aren’t for deaddrift - that front end will cause a nicer wake. Nicely tied - go on give it a swim!!! ?
I'd like to go fishing on Saturday, just in case I'll put this fly to a box. Though I'm sure I won't make any salmon to take it, but maybe I'll amuse them ;)

ryan houston

Reaction score
DSCF2618_edited-2.jpg

when I got Logan to first practice hackles I gave him a longshank hook and told him to see how many he could get on it I thought he would get 3 maybe 4 but he got halfway up it with about 10 different ones on it and I had it in my mind then that I would get him to tie a dapping fly soon but this months remit gave us the excuse

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Superb entries from the Houston’s. Regarding your lovely Haugur - I always just use a heated pin in some hackle pliers to melt a hole - and if it needs a little more the tip of a fine file - and try and give the hole a slight angle so the bloody line doesn’t poke out the other side. I’ve also started playing with free swing hook holder - which would open your options for a smaller gauge hook but not compromise on your outer. Anyway - lovely stuff from you both (again!). Cheers, Patrick