• Mattytree

• JockieScott

• nwsalar

• Stephenb91

• Timmins

Results are only viewable after voting.

Handel

Reaction score
I didn't need reminding that I am supposed to be steelhead fishing at the moment. Canadian border closed until next week. Anyway I voted for the three flies I would most like to fish for steelhead with. That was Iain himself, DrP and GaryD.
I would frame Fruin's fly and hang it on the wall. Beautiful bit of tying.

Cascade

Reaction score
First time I've seen and voted on this thread.
Well done guys, the standard of tying is very very high indeed.
The Ryan Houston fly stands out as something special indeed, too good to tie on a leader!

Andrzej

Reaction score
Iain, very good idea having 3no. votes (y) Could easily spend 3 more, so many excellent flies! We've got two amazing classics from Fruin and Ryan. To decide between them I flipped a coin, which was more lucky for Ryan, but the both flies are really exceptional. Another vote went to Sedgy for his very tidy and well balanced fly, nice colors as well. The third vote I cast for Tailfire, I like Spey character of this one👌

ryan houston

Reaction score
i for one think the 3 votes is much fairer than the all or nothing and has resulted in a far greater spread of votes with most flies getting some recognition for their efforts

another plus side that i see is that it allows people to vote for more than one reason, a lot of guys mention that they vote each month for the fly they would tie on the end over a technically more difficult or maybe better dressed fly whereas in this format they can also cast a vote for a fly they admire for other reasons

you can vote for a tier that you like and still vote for a fly that you like and a fly you appreciate the skill but would never fish etc etc

all round positive from me and not because i am leading at this early stage

SEDGY

Reaction score
Personally agree with the above statement…..it also allows an entry tier to be more ‘creative’ and ‘far out their’ and less ‘play it safe’ with their entry as I think that you are more likely to have the second or third vote for coming up with something different and cutting-edge,which is a good thing .
Not sure about this ‘Chang your mind’ thing though…. I saw one vote going to me and then removed before being given to my mate Snap T which was very painful to witness 😏.

SEDGY

Reaction score
😂 maybe…. But think about this…..you ‘um and ah’ about a fly but don’t actually give it a vote but then when you do vote and the voting is revealed you noticed that the tier you nearly voted for ,fair play to them, actually voted for you 🤔 ….what do you do? ”change vote “😜

ALL GOOD FUN AT THE END OF THE DAY😂

SnapT14

Reaction score
😂 maybe…. But think about this…..you ‘um and ah’ about a fly but don’t actually give it a vote but then when you do vote and the voting is revealed you noticed that the tier you nearly voted for ,fair play to them, actually voted for you 🤔 ….what do you do? ”change vote “😜

ALL GOOD FUN AT THE END OF THE DAY😂
I think Ryan is right. It was only put in because some guys voted for a fly before they knew about the 3 vote system. I actually think it should be taken off now as surely, you shouldn't be able to change your vote once cast?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Personally agree with the above statement…..it also allows an entry tier to be more ‘creative’ and ‘far out their’ and less ‘play it safe’ with their entry as I think that you are more likely to have the second or third vote for coming up with something different and cutting-edge,which is a good thing .
Not sure about this ‘Chang your mind’ thing though…. I saw one vote going to me and then removed before being given to my mate Snap T which was very painful to witness 😏.
Don’t worry, the change your vote option was just temporary to allow those to still cast three votes having submitted before seeing my note .

It has now been removed 👍

GaryD

Reaction score
Much prefer the 3 vote system, meant I could vote for nwsalar's fine Glasso rendition, classic steelhead pattern, and Sedgy's cracking fly, just 'cos its so nice and my favourite colours, and of course Ryan's spectacular entry, one of his best to date👍🏻

Last edited:

Easer

Reaction score
If I were to choose one, it would have been Ryan's, if I would have to choose a second, I would have a hard time choosing between SnapT's rainbow or Fruin's fulldressed, but thanks God, I can choose both....
-Thát one Ryan, it is just so perfectly beautiful, Fruins is as well, but thát icy marabou, woooow, it looks amazing, and will even more in the water, so much that I think that I would actually fish it, if I had made it....

I actually doesn't like marabou, it is way too big on a dry "show" fly, and it is way too small on a wet fly in the water, but the way that it has been applied here, I can only imagine that the fish will stand in line for a bite of thát, what is that marabou called, what's the brand, and where to buy....??? ;- ) ;- ) ;- )

I absolutely love the spey style, sooo cool and relaxed, and even more fishy, and there's some very good examples of thát this month, but I must say that I was blown away by the above three.
-Just to say that I love the way that the Spey has been developed here this month, I'm new to this, but I have been around the "scene" this last year, and I have never seen Speys like these, both nwsalar, Jockiescott, Mattytree, GaryD, Andrzej and Ian's are as gorgeous flies as flies can get, and a lot of the rest are as well really, great theme Ian, possibly the best outcome I have seen from a TOTM (< and I have looked a few years back, prior to joining this year...).

Last edited:

ryan houston

Reaction score
If I were to choose one, it would have been Ryan's, if I would have to choose a second, I would have a hard time choosing between SnapT's rainbow or Fruin's fulldressed, but thanks God, I can choose both....
-Thát one Ryan, it is just so perfectly beautiful, Fruins is as well, but thát icy marabou, woooow, it looks amazing, and will even more in the water, so much that I think that I would actually fish it, if I had made it....

I actually doesn't like marabou, it is way too big on a dry "show" fly, and it is way too small on a wet fly in the water, but the way that it has been applied here, I can only imagine that the fish will stand in line for a bite of thát, what is that marabou called, what's the brand, and where to buy....??? ;- ) ;- ) ;- )

I absolutely love the spey style, sooo cool and relaxed, and even more fishy, and there's some very good examples of thát this month, but I must say that I was blown away by the above three.
-Just to say that I love the way that the Spey has been developed here this month, I'm new to this, but I have been around the "scene" this last year, and I have never seen Speys like these, both nwsalar, Jockiescott, Mattytree, GaryD, Andrzej and Ian's are as gorgeous flies as flies can get, and a lot of the rest are as well really, great theme Ian, possibly the best outcome I have seen from a TOTM (< and I have looked a few years back, prior to joining this year...).
i actually got it off someone online that was using it for wedding invites cards hence the unusual colour