POLL: Tie of the Month - August 2020: Behind every great man...

Your favourite fly is?

• mc andy

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Nigel Passmore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grassy_Knollington

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • DrPatrickT

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Iain Mortimer

• Zamora

• Ryan Houston

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Woodsy

• Clydebuilt

• gwelsher

• sgellert

• SnapT14

• keithick

• Andrzej

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Boogie

• JockieScott

• PerryPoker

• LienBlue

• nwsalar

• Logan Houston

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

charlieH

Reaction score
This was a really hard decision. Some of the classic flies are beautifully tied, and I was very tempted to vote for one of them, in acknowledgement of the skill shown in their creation. But in the end, this is the Salmon Fishing Forum, rather than a fly tying forum, so I am voting for the fly I would be most likely to tie onto the end of my line.

Handel

Reaction score
This was a really hard decision. Some of the classic flies are beautifully tied, and I was very tempted to vote for one of them, in acknowledgement of the skill shown in their creation. But in the end, this is the Salmon Fishing Forum, rather than a fly tying forum, so I am voting for the fly I would be most likely to tie onto the end of my line.

Very well put Charlie. I was having exactly the same thought when I then read your post. I have framed classic flies all round the house and always look at the classic flies section on the board, please keep them coming. But I wouldn't fish with them. What I very definitely would fish with if I had a couple is Snap T14's fly, lovely fly.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
The hands of time have continued to wind their way towards the end of the year and as a result we have reached the end of yet another month! Where does all that time go and why does it seem to get faster every year! The answer to that we will probably never really know but what we do clearly get to know as time passes is which fly is the most popular in each months competition. This month is an easy spot though because unusually for this year we have a run away winner this month and so without further rambling from me...

1st place and 10 points, Ryan Houston who romped home with over 21% of the votes. A big, complex and beautifully tied classic which won through to take the rarely awarded first place for a classic. Just as well because at the cost of that thing most of us wouldn't stand a chance if that was what was needed every month! Thank you for putting that forward Ryan.

2nd place and 8 points, was a bit more undecided with the position shared three ways with 10% of the vote being won by mc Andy, SnapT14 and Keithick

3rd place and 7 points, also left voters with a tough choice meaning that this position was also shared three ways between DrPatrickT, Clydebuilt and LienBlue.

I have to agree with the voters struggle to choose the 'best' flies because I think this was the toughest selection of flies to choose between that we have had this year with very little to separate them in quality and that's not helped by the generally high standard of photography!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Well done Ryan - It’s a beauty. Some cracking flies tied for this comp. Thanks again to Ian for running the show. all the best, Patrick