POLL: Tie of the Month - August 2020: Behind every great man...

Your favourite fly is?

• mc andy

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Nigel Passmore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grassy_Knollington

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • DrPatrickT

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Iain Mortimer

• Zamora

• Ryan Houston

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Woodsy

• Clydebuilt

• gwelsher

• sgellert

• SnapT14

• keithick

• Andrzej

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Boogie

• JockieScott

• PerryPoker

• LienBlue

• nwsalar

• Logan Houston

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LienBlue

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first posting. Due to my wife Karen’s encouragement, I took up an interest in Salmon fly fishing and fly tying in 2018.
But this didn’t get far due to the support my folks needed in their frailty and illness both in their 90’s at the time.
I got as far as practicing some techniques on basic simple tube flies (Sunray Shadows and Willie Gunn’s) ad watched a lot of flytying videos,
that's about it, and no fishing!
Now that my folks have both passed on, I have resumed fly tying although not the fishing yet.
I saw the T.O.T.M, and thought I’d submit an entry as a newbie.
My entry is called Lady Karen’s King Prawn, named after my wonderful wife and best fishing buddy.
All comments and advice are most welcome.
Lady Karens King Prawn.JPG

Hook: Partridge Q2 Low Water 3/0 Double.
Tag: Large Oval Gold Tinsel, four turns.
Antennae: Two Orange Boar Bristles, two Transparent Boar Bristles, Hot Orange Spey Cock Hackle,
Two stripped long Hot Orange Hackle Stems leaving triangle shaped tip, two Ginger Ostrich Herls long.
Crystal Flash Orange No 16, Mirror Flash Orange.
Legs: Two each Grizzly Micro Legs Clear-Black, Clear-Fluorescent Orange and Buggy Nymph H.E. Tan.
Tail: Boar Bristle under-fur Natural and Orange/Brown.
Eyes: Black Shrimp eyes.
Rear Hackle: Large Grizzly dyed Shrimp Orange, Whiting Rooster.
Body: Large Grizzly dyed Shrimp Orange, Whiting Rooster palmered hackle; five turns over dubbing.
Dubbing: ½ UV2 Brite Fluo Orange, ½ Hot Pink Gliss ‘n Glow Slinky Fibre.
Wing: Three pairs of Hot Orange dyed Golden Pheasant tippets tied in on left and right side of shank (Angled so looks like an inverted ‘V’ or roof over the palmered hackle and dubbing).
First set long to just behind eyes, second set to two thirds down shank, third set to one third down shank.
Head: Glo Brite Fluo Orange Floss No 4, Sally Hansen Nail Varnish over

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first posting. Due to my wife Karen’s encouragement, I took up an interest in Salmon fly fishing and fly tying in 2018.
But this didn’t get far due to the support my folks needed in their frailty and illness both in their 90’s at the time.
I got as far as practicing some techniques on basic simple tube flies (Sunray Shadows and Willie Gunn’s) ad watched a lot of flytying videos,
Now that my folks have both passed on, I have resumed fly tying although not the fishing yet.
My entry is called Lady Karen’s King Prawn, named after my wonderful wife and best fishing buddy.
View attachment 49377
Antennae: Two Orange Boar Bristles, two Transparent Boar Bristles, Hot Orange Spey Cock Hackle,
Two stripped long Hot Orange Hackle Stems leaving triangle shaped tip, two Ginger Ostrich Herls long.
Legs: Two each Grizzly Micro Legs Clear-Black, Clear-Fluorescent Orange and Buggy Nymph H.E. Tan.
Body: Large Grizzly dyed Shrimp Orange, Whiting Rooster palmered hackle; five turns over dubbing.
Wing: Three pairs of Hot Orange dyed Golden Pheasant tippets tied in on left and right side of shank (Angled so looks like an inverted ‘V’ or roof over the palmered hackle and dubbing).
First set long to just behind eyes, second set to two thirds down shank, third set to one third down shank.

That’s a lovely looking fly that’s well put together. A bit big in the UK for ‘normal’ fishing requirement but not much wrong with your technique. ?

keithick

Reaction score
wow - that’s stunning Keithick. Love the body and wing is beautiful. If that doesn’t count then scrap this comp - as Megan Boyd was definitely ‘behind’ hundreds of mostly male fishers who would send letters from far and wide to get her Atlantic Salmon patterns. It’s a cracker! Cheers, Patrick
Thanks Patrick,?

keithick

Reaction score
View attachment 48804
this is the Evangeline one of John Popkin Trahernes patterns they were known as exagerrations probably caught more fishermen than fish this one will probably run you over £100 in parts before you start to strap them to hooks, I made this hook and this will be part of a frame of the traherne flies i will make for myself
silver flat, gold silk,topping, blk os,silver flat,chatterer,blk os,silver flat,chatterer,orange silk ribbed flat sil,IC,blk os,red claret silk ribbed flat sil,IC Jay throat,macaw wing coverts, wood duck sides, toppings over, red macaw horns
Stunning flee Ryan ????

Andrzej

Reaction score
View attachment 49377
That's cracking shrimp LienBlue (y) I think I'll try to replicate it in smaller version. Great that you've joined the TOTM!

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
View attachment 49377

I tell you what Lienblue - I can see you can tie - if this is what you create in a couple of years, then wow. Took me years to get a tidy fly. I’m looking forward to seeing some more - would love to see you do something less complex but with that artistic eye of yours - I can see that in what you’ve done. Hope you post some of your flies in the general tying section as well. Looking forward to it.

Coneheads

Reaction score
View attachment 49377

Hook: Partridge Q2 Low Water 3/0 Double. ?

I can't find any of these hook sizes in 3/0 double ? a 3/0 single hook is approx. 4 cm in length ,if so the shrimp eyes must be 2mm to 3mm dia ? maybe more
Max size is a size 8 ?

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Katie’s Killer -

B2687F9C-F5FF-489D-A4B6-31133C12AAE1.jpeg

Hook: Loop double / Partridge Heavy Double #10
Tag: Oval Silver
Body: Pearl tinsel over White Floss
Rib: Oval silver
Wing: Red Fox / Bucktail over Sunburst Goat & Yellow Bucktail 3 strands Yellow Mirror Flash
Cheeks: Jungle Cock
Head: Red

The original, (as detailed in Chris Mann’s book) only has red & yellow goat in the wing, no sunburst.

Nice and simple, no chance of tying anything close to the classics on here this month!

Woodsy

Reaction score
I'll take my entry points and be on my way ?

Low water Irish Hairy Mary
Hook: size 15 silver salar
Tag: oval silver and orange floss (varnished)
Tail: gp crest
Body: black floss
Rib: oval silver
Wing: badger
Throat: blue cock hackle fibres

Sorry about the photo quality, I've lost the charger for the good camera.

20200830_203922.jpg

Last edited:

SnapT14

Reaction score
There are a few bits that are a little tatty on this one Dr P. The head for starters... were you wearing black glasses when you finished it??....:cool:

Jokes aside, thats a cracking tie as normal. Nice proportions and a super profile. Real tidy fly. You must have had a few hotel stays lately as your fly conveyor seems to have started up again.....

Beauty (y)?:)

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
There are a few bits that are a little tatty on this one Dr P. The head for starters... were you wearing black glasses when you finished it??....:cool:

Jokes aside, thats a cracking tie as normal. Nice proportions and a super profile. Real tidy fly. You must have had a few hotel stays lately as your fly conveyor seems to have started up again.....

Beauty (y)?:)

Cheers SnapT, this month there are some blinding entries - I’m in awe of all the traditional flies. My work contract ended in March - so weekly tying has gone out the window (and hotel tables/desks are now safe) - and given my poor season and not doing much fishing, the old fly tying get-up-and-go, got up and left for a while. Replaced with butchering tunes on an old electric guitar and amp! The fly tying bug keeps biting however, normally from seeing the creations that are on here. All the best, Patrick

ryan houston

Reaction score

I can't find any of these hook sizes in 3/0 double ? a 3/0 single hook is approx. 4 cm in length ,if so the shrimp eyes must be 2mm to 3mm dia ? maybe more
Max size is a size 8 ?
i have several boxes of vintage low water doubles in these sorts of sizes big hockey stick jobbies i think i sold the 2/0 and 3/0 to finnish lads as they seem to love these things for teno patterns but i still have 1/0 for sure

LienBlue

Reaction score

Max size is a size 8 ?
Hi Conehead, the hook ( total length front of eye to end of bend) is 53.6mm long, use-able shank length is 34mm from start of bend to 3mm short of hook eye (space left for finishing/tying off). I bought 20 of them from RM Jeffries online (I think there's only 2/0's available now, but an email will confirm).
The Shrimp Eyes I bought were Medium, I couldn't find large anywhere, so I coated the eyes with UV resin to make them larger (to 3.4mm diameter).
As per other comments, the fly is big (Pink or Purple Prawns for Salmon prawning are 2 to 2. 5 inches long plus feelers/antenna). My wife loves eating prawns (with lots of garlic). The fly was tied for her and named after her; we hope one day to fish it in Norway (she is of Norwegian descent). I think Salmon will either love it or hate it, hopefully the former :)

LienBlue

Reaction score
That's cracking shrimp LienBlue (y) I think I'll try to replicate it in smaller version. Great that you've joined the TOTM!
Thanks Andrzej, I was thinking of a large hook (heavyish) for a large fly, to fish deeper in a strong flow (just my personal preference, I don't like adding weight/lead to a fly). I too will tie up some smaller (the size #2's Q hooks I have are 42.7mm long, the #4's are 34.6mm long)

Coneheads

Reaction score
Hi Conehead, the hook ( total length front of eye to end of bend) is 53.6mm long, use-able shank length is 34mm from start of bend to 3mm short of hook eye (space left for finishing/tying off). I bought 20 of them from RM Jeffries online (I think there's only 2/0's available now, but an email will confirm).
The Shrimp Eyes I bought were Medium, I couldn't find large anywhere, so I coated the eyes with UV resin to make them larger (to 3.4mm diameter).
As per other comments, the fly is big (Pink or Purple Prawns for Salmon prawning are 2 to 2. 5 inches long plus feelers/antenna). My wife loves eating prawns (with lots of garlic). The fly was tied for her and named after her; we hope one day to fish it in Norway (she is of Norwegian descent). I think Salmon will either love it or hate it, hopefully the former :)
Wow that is some size prawn fly,but don'you think with the fly being so large ? it be to artificial for salmon to take it ? can I ask would it be cast/fished on a spinning rod ? as it could be quite dangerous on a salmon fly rod with such a large gaped hook ?

LienBlue

Reaction score
I tell you what Lienblue - I can see you can tie - if this is what you create in a couple of years, then wow. Took me years to get a tidy fly. I’m looking forward to seeing some more - would love to see you do something less complex but with that artistic eye of yours - I can see that in what you’ve done. Hope you post some of your flies in the general tying section as well. Looking forward to it.
Thanks DrPatrickT, It probably took more time thinking and planning the fly than actually tying it!, And I now look forward to fishing it.
Yes I will post more in the General tying section.

LienBlue

Reaction score
Wow that is some size prawn fly,but don'you think with the fly being so large ? it be to artificial for salmon to take it ? can I ask would it be cast/fished on a spinning rod ? as it could be quite dangerous on a salmon fly rod with such a large gaped hook ?
Hi Coneheads, Time will tell whether salmon take it or not; I don't spin, fly only. Historically, as far as I know, also looking at salmon hook/fly gauges, classic flies were tied up to 10/0, WOW! I can't imagine casting that size fly, were the salmon much bigger too?

LienBlue

Reaction score
Hi Coneheads, Thinking about it over lunch, maybe it would be good as a tube fly? I'll think about it, maybe tie one up,see what it looks like

mc andy

Reaction score
The only problem being I'm struggling to choose just one for my vote even after seeing them all again to post the poll! :oops:
I'm with you on this one!

I'm not normally a voter of the classics, sorry guys ?. As always seem to get drawn to some wee fishing cracker, but this month all the classics are screaming at me. Decisions decisions? Oh and Dr p is in the running. Ahh naw ?