POLL: Tie of the Month - August 2020: Behind every great man...

Your favourite fly is?

• mc andy

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Nigel Passmore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grassy_Knollington

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • DrPatrickT

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Iain Mortimer

• Zamora

• Ryan Houston

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Woodsy

• Clydebuilt

• gwelsher

• sgellert

• SnapT14

• keithick

• Andrzej

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Boogie

• JockieScott

• PerryPoker

• LienBlue

• nwsalar

• Logan Houston

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to the August 2020 Tie of the Month competition.

TOTM Introduction

The format of the 2020 Tie of the Month competition will remain the same as it was last year as it worked so well i.e. open to everyone, a separate section for any newcomers to salmon fly tying and all you need to do for entry is to submit a photo of a fly that meets the rules of that months theme and the eleven commandments below.

You can enter every month or just the odd few but note that points are awarded just for entering! The only exception will be December when we’ll retain voting for the 'Fly of the Year' as chosen from the winners of each monthly competition.

As a tip, the fly you think is the best dressed, best photographed and most true to the original does not always win and so don’t be put off giving it a go or trying a bit of experimentation.

August TOTM theme: "Behind every great man"

'How Miss G. W. Ballantine Landed the Record Tay Salmon. (10th February 1923, Fishing Gazette)

Owing to the laird being indisposed, Georgina went out with her father James. It was the last day of summertime. Melvin the boatman left early leaving Georgina and her father fishing on towards dusk. Two rods were out 'harling', one baited with a 'Wilkinson' fly and the other with a 2-inch dace on a Malloch spinning mount. Let Georgina take up the story as it appeared in the Fishing Gazette:

"Immediately above the 'Bargie' stone, father remarked that we should 'see him here.' Scarcely were the words spoken when a sudden 'rug' and 'screech' of the reel brought my rod into an upright position. He was hooked!" At first, this did not appear to be a huge fish and they both felt that by playing him into the slack water behind 'Bargie', the fish would soon tire. This giant salmon then made its bid for freedom rushing off 500 yards downstream taking 150 yards of line with the boat in tow.

"Heading for the north bank, we were in the act of landing about 200 yards above the bridge when he came practically to the end of the boat. Scenting danger ahead, he again ran out of reach. Leaving the boat, we followed him down, and as chance would have it he passed between the north pier and the bank when going under the bridge, otherwise we would have been in a dreadful hole." Her father quipped "Dinna lat the beast flee doon the watter like that, ‘ummin."

They disembarked from the small boat then clambered aboard as once again the fish made its way downstream. The strain began to tell on Georgina, even though she was veteran salmon angler having taken three fish earlier in the day up to 27lbs. Darkness fell and they could make out the trees on the island silhouetted against the sky. "We had hoped by the light of the moon to find a suitable landing-place, but unfortunately a dark cloud obscured her. The fish kept running out a few paces, and then returning, but long intervals were spent without even a movement. He inclined always downstream until the middle of the island was reached, and the light in the cottage window at Sparrowmuir blinked cheerily across the river.

"Once I struck the nail on the head by remarking that if I successfully grassed this fish he must give me a new frock. 'Get ye the fish landed first and syne we'll see aboot the frock,' was the reply. (Nevertheless, I have kept him to his word and the frock has been ordered.)'

Eventually persistence paid off and the fish came close to the boat where James felt for the junction between the main line and the cast. When Georgina had wound the join up to the top of the rod James gaffed the fish, hauled it into the boat and promptly collapsed on top of it exhausted. The time was 8.20pm and the fish had been played for some 2 hours and 5 minutes. They rowed back upstream to their Tayside cottage to be greeted by Georgina’s anxious mother who said 'Guid sakes, I thoct ye were baith in the watter!' This 'red letter' day was topped off with a 'toddy' which both Georgina and her father considered a well-earned nightcap.

In this case rather than being behind a great man, Georgina stands well in front with her record still to be beaten. Georgina died in 1970 but never got to join the mens club of the day despite that amazing catch. Times have since changed but while we now have open memberships and a few female ambassadors of our sport, such as Marina Gibson, it is still largely male dominated. I therefore thought that this month we could celebrate that record by tying a fly with a female name.

Specific Guidance:
  • You can tie on any hook or tube you choose
  • The fly must be include 'Lady' or a woman's name in its recognised title.
  • A version tied using modern materials is acceptable so long as it is a recognisable step to the original in form or colour. i.e. this is not just about tying a classic.

Eleven commandments
1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome to enter as many or as few months as you choose. As it currently stands there are no prizes this year and so enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result. If a sponsor comes forward at any time that will be posted in the TOTM folder.

2. Anybody who has started tying salmon flies in the last 12 months can highlight this on their first entry to be considered for the title of 'Best Newcomer'

3. You can only enter one photo. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified.

4. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must be as far as possible identical in size and form so that it’s clear what is being voted for.

5. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM.

6. To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.

7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month and be open to everyone on the forum.

8. The December competition will be to decide the 'Tie of The Year', where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions. The points for this will be awarded in the same way as every other month.

9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the accolade of TOTM Winner and/or Best Newcomer

10. The competition will run from February 2020 to December 2020

11. Points will be awarded each month as follows. In the event of a tie for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, all tied participants will get the full points available for the placing.
• First place: 10 points
• Second place: 8 points
• Third place: 7 points.
• Each monthly competition entered: 4 points.

This means that you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

mc andy
mc andy.png

Nigel Passmore
Nigel Passmore.png

Grassy_Knollington
Grassy_Knollington.png

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.png

Iain Mortimer
Iain Mortimer.png

Zamora
Zamora.png

Ryan Houston
Ryan Houston.png

Woodsy
Woodsy.png

Clydebuilt
Clydebuilt.png

gwelsher
gwelsher.png

sgellert
sgellert.png

SnapT14
SnapT14.png

keithick
keithick.png

Andrzej
Andrzej.png

Boogie
Boogie.png

JockieScott
JockieScott.png

PerryPoker
PerryPoker.png

LienBlue
LienBlue.png

nwsalar
nwsalar.png

Logan Houston
Logan Houston.png

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'll get the show on the road this month with the first pattern that came into my head when I thought of a lady's name in a fly.

Still highly regarded as one of the finest dressers of salmon flies, ever to have picked up a bobbin, I'll have a go with the Megan Boyd Shrimp.

IMG_20200804_105956.jpg

Hook: Ken Sawada SL6
Tag: Fine oval silver
Butt: Pearsall's Red Silk
Tail: GP Red Breast feather
Rear body: Pearsall's Yellow floss
Middle Hackle: Yellow cock
Front body: Black floss
Rib: medium oval silver
Front hackle: natural brown hen
Sides: Jungle cock
Head: Black

Another well thought out theme Iain and sincere thanks for the effort and commitment it takes.

Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Thanks!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I'll get the show on the road this month with the first pattern that came into my head when I thought of a lady's name in a fly.

Still highly regarded as one of the finest dressers of salmon flies, ever to have picked up a bobbin, I'll have a go with the Megan Boyd Shrimp.

View attachment 48303

Hook: Ken Sawada SL6
Tag: Fine oval silver
Butt: Pearsall's Red Silk
Tail: GP Red Breast feather
Rear body: Pearsall's Yellow floss
Middle Hackle: Yellow cock
Front body: Black floss
Rib: medium oval silver
Front hackle: natural brown hen
Sides: Jungle cock
Head: Black

Another well thought out theme Iain and sincere thanks for the effort and commitment it takes.

Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Thanks!

Well that's a start and a half to this month and a new pattern to me. You are on a roll sir (y)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Well that's a start and a half to this month and a new pattern to me. You are on a roll sir (y)

This is a very old pattern Iain.

Megan Boyd was an exceptional dresser of flies and also appeared to be quite eccentric and introverted. It never seemed to sit right with her that her creations resulted in the killing of beautiful, wild creatures.

If you get a chance to see "Kiss the water", it is a story about her life.

Davy McPhail has a video of tying the pattern too...

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I have a very good friend who has fished all over and told me a cracker of a story about how they invented the "Murmansk Hooker"... It has lot of black and red in it....I believe it was in respect of a certain Russian lady who introduced herself when they were up that way fishing ??

Zamora

Reaction score
Someone has to post Lady Caroline, so I decided it could be me ;)

Tail: gold pheasant body feather strip
Body: olive brown seal fur
Ribs: flat and oval gold tinsel
Body hackle: grey heron
Hackle: gold pheasant body feather
Wings: mallard
Hook: TMC 202SP #2

0695AF93-32A6-401C-AFF7-EF60479A3453.jpeg

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Someone has to post Lady Caroline, so I decided it could be me ;)

Tail: gold pheasant body feather strip
Body: olive brown seal fur
Ribs: flat and oval gold tinsel
Body hackle: grey heron
Hackle: gold pheasant body feather
Wings: mallard

View attachment 48403

That's a beautiful colour combination Zamora and very nicely balanced too. (y)

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All, I thought I’d have a shot at a Katie D - I believe from the Tummel (and also I didn’t want to lose my mind trying to put a Mallard boat on a Lady Caroline!)

Katie Fly.JPG

Tying Pattern (slight derivative of original)
Hook: size 12 ED treble (looks good on a double - but I’ve only seen them on trebs)
Tag: Oval gold wire (semperfli light gold 0.2mm)
Tail: Orange and yellow marble fox guard hairs stripped of under fur and mixed; 3 strands of black krystal flash and a couple of orange ripple ice fibres
Butt: Glo brite floss 12
Body: rear - mirage opal over black floss - then black floss front
Rib: Oval gold wire (semperfli light gold 0.2mm)
Hackle: Orange cock hackle
Throat: Blue Jay as a sub for blue Guinea Fowl ( after tying some Dunkelds I really like the look of Jay - bit stiffer for a bit of presence, plus has a 'shine' to the hackles)
Wing 1: smidge Black Artic runner- long to back of tail
Wing 2: Black Artic fox (brushed out)- short to just after end of hook
Jungle cock cheeks
Black head, Sally HAN

All the best, Patrick