POLL: Tie of the Month April 2021: I can already hear you groaning!

Which fly is your favourite cascade?

• Fergal 1975

• tcorfey

• westie4566

• Easer

• logan houston

• Mattytree

• iainmortimer

• Stephenb91

• easky

• reedwarbler

• willmorris

• Tailfire

• Ryan Houston

• Timmins

• Flow

• nwsalar

• Salmonewf

• Bens_Flies

• Andrzej

• SnapT14

• JockieScott

• Tony Mac

• Wormo

• GaryD

• SEDGY

• Yooper-Fly

• Prezmek

• DrPatrickT

• Woodsy

• SebasP

• mc andy

• Bad_bastie

• Ypres

• Bogwoppit

• Scierra

• Gavinmcc

• Beel

• Spectrum shrimp

• Zamora

Results are only viewable after voting.

larry_grayson

Reaction score
  • As a minimum there must EITHER be a hackle of at least two colours or a throat and overwing. Whichever option is taken the colours must be the same as those used in the tail.

GaryD

Reaction score
Getting in a bit earlier this month as back to work shortly, a fairly standard green-ersed cascade with a touch of purple

Tags silver wire and green fluro
Tail orange and sunburst bucktail with orange/uv microflash
Body gold tinsel and purple floss
Rib gold wire
Wing black silver fox with gold and purple litebrite, with pinch of purple fox on top
Hackles orange and yellow rooster
Eyes crappy jc
Head black

(Edit - wahey! "Crappy" gets past the censors!)

50C08EEB-BE79-4CC3-A771-58F536B9C737.jpeg

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
That is a very interesting point.
A question for Iain - if the rules are not adhered to will the entries be disqualified?
Yes. I haven’t checked through all the entries but will contact any that don’t comply. Thanks for the prompt because my policeman’s hat seems to have been missing this month!

Yooper-Fly

Reaction score
‘Arctic Sunrise’

I wanted to challenge myself to use pastel colors. I could have easily switched the hackles on the ‘Purple Haze’ fly, but in reality it is more challenging to use lighter pastel colors than bold, vibrant ones.
Here in Northern Michigan we get very cold in the winter time. Sometimes we will stay at -20F to -30F 🥶. I’ve noticed that the sunrise during these cold winter periods are much softer colors. Anywho, this was my inspiration for this color combo.
I’m not very knowledgeable at writing out what the ‘Tag’ and ‘Tinsel’ and all of that stuff. So forgive me for not writing it all down! I don’t want to look like a fool! But I’ll do my best here with the basics:
•Tail = white & soft orange bucktail w/white krystal flash
•Body = mirage flash & aqua marine flashabou w/ fine oval tinsel & fine blue wire
•Hackle = silver dun saddle & soft orange pheasant rump
•Wing = aqua marble fox over mint marble fox

thanks!
3EC18251-5B0B-4DD5-A37C-439075A8A948.jpeg

Pete V

Reaction score
‘Arctic Sunrise’

I wanted to challenge myself to use pastel colors. I could have easily switched the hackles on the ‘Purple Haze’ fly, but in reality it is more challenging to use lighter pastel colors than bold, vibrant ones.
Here in Northern Michigan we get very cold in the winter time. Sometimes we will stay at -20F to -30F 🥶. I’ve noticed that the sunrise during these cold winter periods are much softer colors. Anywho, this was my inspiration for this color combo.
I’m not very knowledgeable at writing out what the ‘Tag’ and ‘Tinsel’ and all of that stuff. So forgive me for not writing it all down! I don’t want to look like a fool! But I’ll do my best here with the basics:
•Body = mirage flash & aqua marine flashabou w/ fine oval tinsel & fine blue wire

thanks!
View attachment 59950
Beringer Founders Estate Cabernet Sauvignon?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
‘Arctic Sunrise’

thanks!
View attachment 59950
Nice inspiration turned into a very nice fly. The pheasant works very well (y)

Spectrum shrimp

Reaction score
Some superb entries so far this month. I have toyed with quite a few ideas but always gravitate back to good old yellow, orange and black. This effort is tied as a standard cascade but with a couple of quirky elements which I hope will add to the interest within the pattern. This is a good 'fishing fly!! It has two tone boar bristles in the tail and then a stacked wing consisting of two golden pheasant tippets dyed hot orange tied in a similar way to a General Practitioner, with a pinch of black tapered shadow fox pelt over the top.

So, the ingredients -
Hook - #8 double
Tag - small silver oval
Tail - 4 x hot orange tipped yellow bristles tied 2 1/2 times the length of the shank
Flash - 3 x strands of silver micro flash
A pinch of each, yellow and hot orange buck - tapered and mixed tied a tad shorter than the bristles to emphasise the bristles.
Body - half silver, half black floss
Rib - medium silver oval
Wing - 2 GP tippets dyed hot orange, staggered so the black lines match up ( like a GP shrimp)
Pinch of black fox pelt on top
Hackles - hot orange over yellow saddle
Thread - 8/0 black

View attachment 59787

Good luck to everybody this month!
That's a beauty Nathan lovely tying 👌🏻👏🏻🎣

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
View attachment 59771
This one is out of my box, I call it The Orangeade,
I had 3 fish on this actual fly last season,
Works well as a small Fl Orange conehead as well,
Hook - ED size 12,
Tail - Yellow and orange bucktail, with a few strands of Hends orange uv enhancer.
Body - Orange Holographic tinsel,
Wing - Orange Squirrel tail, with the bar left in, and a couple of strands of orange Krystal flash,
Hackles - yellow and orange cock,
Jungle cock, toned down with orange permanent marker,
Head - Fl orangeView attachment 59773
This fly is bad ass. I nailed a few fish on this fly last season.
Cracking fly

reedwarbler

Reaction score
It does look like a little gem of a fly and tied on a small scale like this one always difficult.Am definitely going to tie some up for my box which is the best thing about this comp..... inspiring you to get some flies done
It does look like a little gem of a fly and tied on a small scale like this one always difficult.Am definitely going to tie some up for my box which is the best thing about this comp..... inspiring you to get some flies done.
Thanks for the comments, It really works, and I could only put one pic up, but if you put a uv torch on it, it shines like a shithouse door

SEDGY

Reaction score
Great name for the fly also.
Have just had another look at the fly....you certainly have fitted a lot on that small hook in a very tidy fashion, top marks in my book 👌

Spectrum shrimp

Reaction score
My entry this month is a Chartreuse Cascade, some fantastic flies on show once again. Good luck to everyone 🎣

Chartreuse Cascade
Hook: Green Partridge Patriot #8
Tag: chartreuse UTC wire
Tail: Hot orange & chartreuse bucktail mixed chartreuse Krystal flash
Body: silver holographic braid/ black floss
Rib: small oval silver
Wing: black shadow fox
Hackle: hot orange cock Saddle over chartreuse hen saddle.
Cheeks: jungle cock dyed chartreuse
Head: chartreuse UTC 7/0
Screenshot_20210419-213037__01.jpg

SnapT14

Reaction score
My entry this month is a Chartreuse Cascade, some fantastic flies on show once again. Good luck to everyone 🎣

Chartreuse Cascade
Hook: Green Partridge Patriot #8
Tag: chartreuse UTC wire
Tail: Hot orange & chartreuse bucktail mixed chartreuse Krystal flash
Body: silver holographic braid/ black floss
Rib: small oval silver
Wing: black shadow fox
Hackle: hot orange cock Saddle over chartreuse hen saddle.
Cheeks: jungle cock dyed chartreuse
Head: chartreuse UTC 7/0View attachment 60149
Beauty there Aodhan 👍......

I'm not overly keen on the coloured Patriot hooks but it works on this fly.

SalmoNewf

Reaction score
  • As a minimum there must EITHER be a hackle of at least two colours or a throat and overwing. Whichever option is taken the colours must be the same as those used in the tail.
As a first timer on the TOTM I just read this and looking back at the photo I submitted I have to admit it isn’t clear that there are indeed two colours in the tail matching the hackles. I hope I’m not violating the rules by doing this but here is another photo, in better light, of my submission. (Not that I’m taking all this too seriously! 🙂)

4BFDC5C9-869D-4A2B-842C-3A27DB3247E1.jpeg

iainmortimer

Reaction score
As a first timer on the TOTM I just read this and looking back at the photo I submitted I have to admit it isn’t clear that there are indeed two colours in the tail matching the hackles. I hope I’m not violating the rules by doing this but here is another photo, in better light, of my submission. (Not that I’m taking all this too seriously! 🙂)

View attachment 60171
No problem at all. You can change your photo and indeed fly as many times as you like each month so long as you only have one photo submitted and it’s in before the end of the month.

To make life easy for me, could you delete your first entry - post #50. Thanks

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Will do. How? 😔
🤣. Don’t worry it’s easy.

At the bottom left of your post, next to the ‘REPORT’ button are 3 dots ie ... and a wee down arrow. Click that for the extra menu which had two options one of which is delete (the other is edit).