Poll: multiple votes?

Do we allow everyone 4 votes in TOTM from next month?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Andrzej

Reaction score
I like the idea of the additional votes, though I'd go on 3 instead of 4. Quite often I like a fly, but I cast my vote on some other fly that I also like, but with tying quality, proportions closer to my taste. The additional votes would allow to appreciate a few more tiers, give some encouragement maybe? For sure it's very nice seeing that other folks appreciate our effort :)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
My concern with multiple votes is that you don’t get a clear winner. I can see the pri’s and cons and as mentioned perhaps the vast array of prizes has taken some of the fun element away in favour stronger competitiveness.

Regardless of my views I will respect the outcome of the vote but with the proviso that if it has a negative outcome on entries or voters then it can be reversed simply by unchecking a box.

Last edited:

Pete V

Reaction score
I think, like some others here that multiple votes are only useful if you have different weightings.
4 votes are probably too many but 1st 2nd and 3rd could be good.
Maybe a points system - 5 points for first then 2 and 1 for 3rd place.

That, in itself, may be too difficult to administrate.

Multiple votes with equal value have, in my opinion, no value.

Pete

mc andy

Reaction score
My concern with multiple votes is that you don’t get a clear winner. I can see the pri’s and cons and as mentioned perhaps the vast array of prizes has taken some of the fun element away in favour stronger competitiveness.

Regardless of my views I will respect the outcome of the vote but with the proviso that if it has a negative outcome on entries or voters then it can be reversed simply by unchecking a box.
If you have a concern for multiple votes? Why oh why would you start this thread?

westie4566

Reaction score
...because I can see both positives and negatives in it and I’m not sure I stand firmly for or against. Also others have mentioned it a few times and so figured I’d see how the land lies with everyone rather than just dictate.
For the first time this month I would have liked to be able to place a few votes. There were so many, many great flies.

Jockiescott got mine (again...I do like his flies, lol) simply because a) I'd fish it any day and b) he incorporated elements from Ally Gowan's other great creation the Ally's. That just tickled my fancy.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
For the first time this month I would have liked to be able to place a few votes. There were so many, many great flies.

Jockiescott got mine (again...I do like his flies, lol) simply because a) I'd fish it any day and b) he incorporated elements from Ally Gowan's other great creation the Ally's. That just tickled my fancy.

Thanks westie! 🙂

tcorfey

Reaction score
Ian, I think you have a great thing going already! Yes, it is very hard to choose only one fly as there are so many great ones but, that is part of the fun.

Each month I, get an alcoholic beverage or a coffee then gather my favorite flies, put them side by side on my big screen and review the rules of the competition. Then whittle down my choice to just one. It is a nice way to spend some time admiring the works of others and I learn so much from it.

Trying to tie some of these patterns I have seen so far this year has really helped improve my tying and the touch of competitiveness makes you try a bit harder. However, I do hope the competitiveness does not over reach on the pure fun and joy of sharing and admiring the work of all the people participating in TOTM after all the best part of this is sharing ideas, colors, materials and designs or techniques we may not have thought of on our own and in that case, in my mind, we are all winners because even when you just judge/vote it causes you to look harder and you usually learn something.

I did not cast a vote on this as I don't feel as if I have earned my wings yet. As such I am okay with whichever way the vote goes.

Regards,
Tim C.

Easer

Reaction score
All because of a hypothetical case that someone might vote for themselves?
In someways it would make my choices easier as i can normally get it down to 4.
Its picking the one and only thats the hard bit.
I think it would be more work for Iain.
But it would give more entries a vote and help keep up enthusiasm.
- Except not getting any votes will be even MORE depressing....;- ) ;- ) ;- )

No, I'm all in....

Easer

Reaction score
I'm with Jockie, there isn't anything wrong with the current voting system other than the fact you can vote for your own flies, which is crazy!
Well actually, giving the option of voting for 4 flies will empower the one voting for his own, if he ONLY cast one vote, for himself....

I think the best format would be to be able to cast 3 or 4 votes, but NOT on one's own creation(s)....

Last edited:

jimmythefish

Reaction score
I’ve noticed too lately,that it’s not just about the fly either,some of the lads are going for The bigger picture like, setting their fly’s on a nice cork,some are good vice shots,I’ve even seen lads taking there fly’s to the beech to get a great shot of there TOTM photographed on a beautiful piece of drift wood,or rock. I try to take in the bigger picture when spending time going through them all, wonderful tieing,precisely trimmed,good clear photography and the setting it’s presented on. Some of the entries have been magnificent.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll admit that some months it can be a difficult choice but I whittle it down to the one tie that I like the best.

As mentioned by others it is the wide range of interpretations of the fly recipe that I enjoy and making a best of show choice seems fair. I've mentioned several times that every single one of you fellows put me to shame with your skills so I do consider everyone a winner regardless of the fly I chose for any given month.

As an aside, I've only ever voted for the same tier twice and usually find each month brings a new leader or at least so it seems.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I’ve noticed too lately,that it’s not just about the fly either,some of the lads are going for The bigger picture like, setting their fly’s on a nice cork,some are good vice shots,I’ve even seen lads taking there fly’s to the beech to get a great shot of there TOTM photographed on a beautiful piece of drift wood,or rock. I try to take in the bigger picture when spending time going through them all, wonderful tieing,precisely trimmed,good clear photography and the setting it’s presented on. Some of the entries have been magnificent.

It's all about the fly for me jimmy 👍 it's a fun tying comp not photography comp, mibi I'm just being grumpy 😉

Jockiescott

Reaction score
It's all about the fly for me jimmy 👍 it's a fun tying comp not photography comp, mibi I'm just being grumpy 😉

It's the same for me. The fly comes first and everything else comes after that. A photo doesn't make a bad fly look good.

In fact, it almost backfired for the person I voted for this month. Every month, I usually have a fair idea of what I'll vote for as the month goes. The person had put up a photo initially with the fly really being the only thing to catch your eye. Before the month finished, he had uploaded a different photo in which the fly just didn't stand out as well as the first. I had to really check it was the same fly to be honest. Had I not seen the first photo, I probably wouldn't have voted for the fly based on the second photo alone.

So, in this case, the photo to vote on may have actually cost him votes.

Keep it simple folks! 😉

Bad_bastie

Reaction score
here's a wee spanner in teh works, If you enter a fly you MUST vote for yourself. Making everybody in the comps vote null and void, The general public get one vote and that decides the winner.

I assume there is no fucntion so that the enterants arent allowed to vote.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
would the voter HAVE to use all 3 or 4 votes? just wondering if people had to use them all would there be an element of voting for their favourite and then wasting the remaining votes on randoms rather than potential competitors to their chosen favourite?
No. They are just available if wanted I believe.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
would the voter HAVE to use all 3 or 4 votes? just wondering if people had to use them all would there be an element of voting for their favourite and then wasting the remaining votes on randoms rather than potential competitors to their chosen favourite?

I had thoughts along those lines too. Someone could pick the fly they like best, as they would do now, and then cast the rest of their votes on their mates, or someone who has given them flies in the past, or just give someone a vote to make them feel a bit better? That's not really voting, is it?

More votes just dilutes the whole thing for me. A single vote now seems like an achievement, especially with the quality of entries from the pro tyres. Getting someone's third or fourth vote would just feel a bit, meh!

Yooper-Fly

Reaction score
I like what Ryan said about 3 votes vs 4.

Even though there is an element of competitiveness to it, I think most of us are having a lot of fun. I could easily vote for more than one fly, and I like to encourage more than one person with a vote every time.
I also think because roughly 1/2 of the people here believe just one vote is better, it might be a good idea to try giving people the option of 2 votes in the June competition, then go back to 1 vote for July. That would give us all a better idea on how that works.
Also, addressing with the concern that some people have with someone being able to give themselves more votes, I think that because we can all see if that happens, that it will work itself out!

Zamora

Reaction score
In Finland at our local fly fishing forum has a 5 vote rule that have been in use years. Works well and I honestly can say that the best flies will be at the top in every competition. What it gives, is a possibility to spread the vote count and reward other good patterns and tying. I haven’t noticed anything negative at it. It just works.

Easer

Reaction score
As an expert (< I haven't had any votes yet....;- ), I totally agree with those saying that achieving Your first vote is a major thing, it really will be, absolutely....
- But in terms of finding the right winner, or maybe rather the right number two to six, because as it is, the winner takes it all in terms of votes, I think that a system with more votes would be more suitable/efficient/representative of people's opinion....

Maybe we could cast one vote for "Absolutely best fly", and then two or three (or unlimited....?) "honourable mentions", where the "Absolutely best fly" count double....?

Thát would both give thát WOW when someone for the first time vote for my fly as the best of the bunch, and some feeling of "ah, someone DOES have an eye for quality out there", when the first "honourable mentions" start rolling in....?
- Just, I don't know whether it will be practically possible....?

However, no matter what, I'll say that voting for Your own fly should not be possible, thát alone will solve a lot of these problems.
- Sure, some may swap votes, or call in their family/clan to cast favorable votes, but thát will then require some active speculation on their part, which in the long run will make them look bad in the eyes of their friends (karma....;- )

And should it happen, then godspeed to them, then the rest of us will just have to have fun tying better flies than what we would without this competition, while the winner go partying, celebrating the win with his friends, who all knows....;- /

Last edited: