Plumb Line

chriswjx

Reaction score
Morning folks, had a guided day out at Loch Leven last weekend and loved every minute of it. Will definitely be going again by myself and taking advantage of the 25% discount PDAA members get for boat hire.

Was fishing the day with Allan Smith, who taught me the importance of plumbing for depth. Allan had an old reel set up with a lead weight tied to the backing and markers indicated at every yard. Thing is, he got that from a friend, and so wasn't able to help give any ideas on how the markers were done?

They kind of looked like tape, but I would have though that wouldn't be very long lasting. My current thought is to whip on some glo-brite or something and then cover with fly tying resin? Would this work? Thought it best to check on here afore I go and do it, thinking its all a success until my next day out in a month's time and find it doesn't...

Cheers
Chris

Rrrr

Reaction score
Something like drennan powergum may work. Its used for stopper knots for sliding floats quite abit.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

chriswjx

Reaction score
Something like drennan powergum may work. Its used for stopper knots for sliding floats quite abit.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Cheers, that certainly looks like an idea. Will see if EAC has some handy next time I'm in.

chriswjx

Reaction score
You can get multi coloured braid I think they are metre sections so could be handy for that job

That was my ideal case, but the only one which is at meter intervals is the daiwa J braid and is 1) out of stock at GAC and 2) much more expensive than I wanted 😂 I've made do with nail knotting a bit of 30lb amnesia every 3ft. Will be giving it a test on the weekend

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Morning folks, had a guided day out at Loch Leven last weekend and loved every minute of it. Will definitely be going again by myself and taking advantage of the 25% discount PDAA members get for boat hire.

Was fishing the day with Allan Smith, who taught me the importance of plumbing for depth. Allan had an old reel set up with a lead weight tied to the backing and markers indicated at every yard. Thing is, he got that from a friend, and so wasn't able to help give any ideas on how the markers were done?

They kind of looked like tape, but I would have though that wouldn't be very long lasting. My current thought is to whip on some glo-brite or something and then cover with fly tying resin? Would this work? Thought it best to check on here afore I go and do it, thinking its all a success until my next day out in a month's time and find it doesn't...

Cheers
Chris
Did you catch anything Chris?
Some big pike in Leven. Think I would be targeting them as I believe the trout are thin on the ground now.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Had 3 to the boat on the day and 4 takes missed as well sadly. Best one was about 4lb. Its just wild browns now apparently.

Was told about the big pike as well, there were a couple lads pike fishing on the day but don't think they had much luck? They were saying the weed can get quite troublesome for pike, not so much a problem fishing the drop offs for the trout though. There's also a big head of perch, and when we were fishing the North Bank, we couldn't get past them... hooked a perch about a pound n half though which was quite a nice fight on a 6wt for all of 30s 😂

20210703_161616_001.jpg

tenet

Reaction score
We're you fly fishing or lure fishing? Lots of lure fishers use fish finders which not only show fish but also depth and temperature.

chriswjx

Reaction score
We're you fly fishing or lure fishing? Lots of lure fishers use fish finders which not only show fish but also depth and temperature.

it's fly only for trout and all methods for lure. We didn't have fish finders just relied on the plumb line to fish from about 12-15 ft depth into the deeps. There was another boat with a fish finder who caught nothing but perch all day. Think they were saying the finder was putting them quite deep and they didn't have the right sink lines for it... Allan had us fishing with 15-20 ft leaders with 3 droppers, and were getting knocks at every spot, just nothing stuck until the final 2 spots.

tenet

Reaction score
I regularly fish Farmoor Reservoir in Oxfordshire which is over 30ft deep. During winter months the fish hold very deep and we either anchor and fish a di8 counting down until we find the depth or sometimes back drift again with the di8 lengthening the line to get the flies really deep. Our own Loxie provides the fish for Farmoor and these winter rainbows are like grilse.

My fishing partner with a fine specimen.
IMG_20210513_163250853.jpg