Plastic tubes?

John Keane

Reaction score
Someone has given me some plastic tubing which comprises some outer clear rigid tubing, some inner clear rigid tubing and some flexible liner tubing. Is this FITS system and is it designed for conehead flies? There are no cone heads with it and I haven’t made conehead tubes before but I might be tempted to have a go. I’ll post a photo of the tubes when I get home this evening

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Someone has given me some plastic tubing which comprises some outer clear rigid tubing, some inner clear rigid tubing and some flexible liner tubing. Is this FITS system and is it designed for conehead flies? There are no cone heads with it and I haven’t made conehead tubes before but I might be tempted to have a go. I’ll post a photo of the tubes when I get home this evening

Hi John - refer to this thread for some ideas:

Tube fly tying (Help required please)

To make your life simple - try keeping to the same system or sizes (so I tend to go for any of the 1.8mm inner and 3mm outer combos plus the cones that fit with that. If not, you need to mess around with different inners for different cones.

All the best, Patrick

Jockiescott

Reaction score
There are a number of tube systems out there. FITS, future fly, veniards to name but a few.

It would help if you could find out what system it is as it will make it so much easier to find cones to fit properly. I have bought cones off ebay in the past that the hole is too small to fit future fly tubes. I have other cones that wobble about on future fly inner tubes.

It isn't absolutely necessary to use a cone at all and you can just finish the gly on the inner tube to keep the head smaller.

Forum member Klops had good threads about putting the plastic tubing systems together. I'll have a look and see if I can find one for you.