Plasterers unwritten code of conduct.

budge

Reaction score
Just trying to get my head around this one
1. "A weeks work mate £200 a day "
This equates to turn up at 9.00 and finish at 2.00 plus early finish Friday for pub.
2. "I need to nip out for half an hour to price a job"
2 hours later they return.
3. "Can you use them dust sheets to keep the floor clean ?" - "Yeh no problem"
Dust sheets piled in a corner full of plaster and floor ankle deep in sh1te.
4. "Can you empty your buckets in the skip" - "Yeh no problem mate"
Drains blocked with plaster.

There's probably loads more to add i just picked a couple out. I think it must be taught from being an apprentice as it seems they're all the same round here. Had to sack the first one as the finish was a bit erratic, one wall perfect, the next one rough as hell. We discovered the reason when we looked under floorboards and found the empty tins of 9% cider
Luckily the house is empty so the mess isn't a major issue and they are doing a decent job. I remember when we had our living room skimmed years ago, the Mrs burst into tears when she got home from work it was that messy.
Is it just me being picky or is it the same everywhere ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

K MacC

Reaction score
Had to laugh £200 / day, my mates are plasterers. I have had the whole house done over the years some of them are as neat others you would think you had walked through a ploughed field after they were finished.
One of my mate usually does about 40m2 a day absolutely knocks his pan in, ceilings and walls average price £11 - £15 / m2 depending on the complexity of the job. Not all tradesmen are the same however my mates are all Plastering Lecturers.

budge

Reaction score
Had to laugh £200 / day, my mates are plasterers. I have had the whole house done over the years some of them are as neat others you would think you had walked through a ploughed field after they were finished.
One of my mate usually does about 40m2 a day absolutely knocks his pan in, ceilings and walls average price £11 - £15 / m2 depending on the complexity of the job. Not all tradesmen are the same however my mates are all Plastering Lecturers.
I know you obviously get what you pay for and the demand dictates price. We probably live in the epicentre of "builders" I know quite a few who were skilled engineers who saw the writing on the wall years ago and changed trades. Probably very few who are time served in what they do now.

salmonless

Reaction score
I used to use this old chap for all my plastering, he was so perfect his skimming was like a mirror finish and he was very reasonable too. I had to sand the walls to get a key to make sure the paint stuck to the wall it was that smooth lol. I use a younger lad now as Tom sadly passed away. He doesnt have the same skill set as Tom but is up to a high standard. He skimmed an entire 3 bedroom semi for £1000 for me. If you're in the NE gimme a shout I'll pas his details on. (NE England :rolleyes: )

ps. Never pay a day rate, get a quote for the entire job or they take the P!ss

Last edited:

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I used to use this old chap for all my plastering, he was so perfect his skimming was like a mirror finish and he was very reasonable too. I had to sand the walls to get a key to make sure the paint stuck to the wall it was that smooth lol. I use a younger lad now as Tom sadly passed away. He doesnt have the same skill set as Tom but is up to a high standard. He skimmed an entire 3 bedroom semi for £1000 for me. If you're in the NE gimme a shout I'll pas his details on. (NE England :rolleyes: )

The Code seems to be to work a third of the hours of other construction workers for 9 times the money. Leave by 16:00 and down a few.

Its extremely hard and filthy work where great skill is required - I‘ve tried it.

mcminnow

Reaction score
We had a plasterer for three days recently to sort out the lounge ceiling. He was always on time and made sure everything was kept clean and tidy..............in short, faultless. We expected to pay £400-£500 but he only charged us £250.

budge

Reaction score
The Code seems to be to work a third of the hours of other construction workers for 9 times the money. Leave by 16:00 and down a few.

Its extremely hard and filthy work where great skill is required - I‘ve tried it.
Yep it aint a job I would like to do for a living. I've done the odd wall and ceiling in my time with not bad results. Probably took 3 times longer with as much on the floor as the wall
Since the pandemic started and everyone spending their spare cash on their houses rather than holidays, tradesmen have upped their rates accordingly. Some of the quotes we had were mind boggling Unfortunately it's my son's house and he's on a tight budget so we have to shop around.

marty31

Reaction score
We had a plasterer for three days recently to sort out the lounge ceiling. He was always on time and made sure everything was kept clean and tidy..............in short, faultless. We expected to pay £400-£500 but he only charged us £250.
3 days to sort one ceiling?? £250 was enough! He obviously wasn't very experienced, so wasn't worth the normal rate of £23-26 pound a hour.

budge

Reaction score
3 days to sort one ceiling?? £250 was enough! He obviously wasn't very experienced, so wasn't worth the normal rate of £23-26 pound a hour.
Depends on what was required. If it was to drop an old ceiling, batten, board and skim plus dispose of the rubbish then quite reasonable in my opinion.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Not entirely true... however I'm not a plasterer but what I've seen the price jobs usually end up a mess due to lack of pride in the work done and finishing it ASAP

K MacC

Reaction score
I would never pay a day rate, always a pre determined price for the job or a price per m2. Always ask if they include the materials or if you have to organise them. Never get someone out of the paper or off an advert if possible ask for recommendations from friends and family. Trades people usually look for £1000 / week to make a decent living.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Depends on what was required. If it was to drop an old ceiling, batten, board and skim plus dispose of the rubbish then quite reasonable in my opinion.

It's a large room and he is very experienced. He completed the full works including removing the complete old ceiling.

luney

Reaction score
We had a plasterer for three days recently to sort out the lounge ceiling. He was always on time and made sure everything was kept clean and tidy..............in short, faultless. We expected to pay £400-£500

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
Not entirely true... however I'm not a plasterer but what I've seen the price jobs usually end up a mess due to lack of pride in the work done and finishing it ASAP
Yeh the Friday afternoon sesh in pub always seems to be the target I used to work with a guy and all his mates were builders he would book every other Friday off when we were on lates so he could join them in the boozer

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've done a great deal of this work in my life. My little business morphed into historical restoration by the mid 1990's and I had to learn the lost art of real plastering, the three step type from Brown mortar build to white coat. I made a good living in trades because I was neater than most and the clients could set their watches to my arrival times. Finding good help was a challenge and I went through many people in that quest. Through the years I took on projects that when I think back on them I wonder how I did all that work. People still ask if I'll take their jobs and a few times a year I do because that's what pays for all those fancy rods and reels.

Now I'm getting to be an old man but just last month I had to can a contractor who we had arranged with to do a complete remodel of our kitchen. The reasons were familiar to you guys, they weren't neat and they wanted to work short days and be paid well. I binned them after one 7 1/2 hour day, three men, the contractor billed us $1700 for that one day spent doing demolition of the old kitchen. They did haul the rubbish away with them for which I was grateful but at that time the boss didn't know that I intended to cut him loose.

I intend to write up a blog post on the American forum that will have images from start to finish so you can grasp the level of rebuild I'm talking about. I did it myself, alone. I warned the contractor when we first met in early January that I wanted to hire out the work because I'm worn out with bad knees but not be misled thinking I was new to "swinging a hammer" ;)

When I do the post I'll put a copy here in the Lounge.

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
My dad has some in a few years back and they opened a few of his bottles of malt drank some and filled it back up with water hoping he wouldn't notice, their boss was less than pleased and they got the sack.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I'm a stonemason and I take great pride in what I do....try knocking work out on a price and producing the finish and quality ..this is an example of my work, this house I built in a hard whinstone type stone.
There's no way I'd have priced that as the customer would have had a heart attack and so would I trying to price it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1622737790212.jpg
    FB_IMG_1622737790212.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 71

budge

Reaction score
My dad has some in a few years back and they opened a few of his bottles of malt drank some and filled it back up with water hoping he wouldn't notice, their boss was less than pleased and they got the sack.
Heard a tale off someone once regarding white footprints found leading straight to the lady's knicker drawer

Loxie

Reaction score
My grandfather in law was a plasterer, now sadly passed. He was exceptionally good, seriously expensive and always had a waiting list. Really good tradesmen are getting very hard to find but if you do find one expect to pay a great deal for their services. It will always be good value though.

marty31

Reaction score
I'm a stonemason and I take great pride in what I do....try knocking work out on a price and producing the finish and quality ..this is an example of my work, this house I built in a hard whinstone type stone.
There's no way I'd have priced that as the customer would have had a heart attack and so would I trying to price it.
Nice work LHU i can tell straight away, even from a photo! I have been referred to on here as a cowboy builder! 🤣 (even though i am a grounds works contractors) but would you say you are on 9 times the rate of a normal construction worker?