Pizza oven

Hemmy

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend or give views on a good pizza oven for outdoors.
Was looking at Oonis but there seems to be a long wait for delivery.....6-8 weeks😟
Thanks in advance

TayRaider

Reaction score
Have you thought about a Weber kettle + some accessories?

Either a hinged lid, or one of the rings that lift the lid up work pretty well . Loads of choice of pizza stones and cast iron flat tops.

AlanT

Reaction score
The gas version of the Ooni is fantastic, heats up in 20 mins and genuinely makes a pizza a minute if desired. Quick and clean.
Although they state 6-8 wks delivery ours was delivered in less than three.
The accessories (skillets) are well designed, good quality and reasonably priced, again delivery only a few days.
We use our oven at least once a week now, its very addictive. The ooni app provides the perfect recipes for tomato sauce and dough. The dough freezes well so we make a batch and freeze it.
We've made steaks, prawns, garlic bread and other stuff in it, 10/10

Last edited:

speers

Reaction score
The gas version of the Ooni is fantastic, heats up in 20 mins and genuinely makes a pizza a minute if desired. Quick and clean.
Although they state 6-8 wks delivery ours was delivered in less than three.
The accessories (skillets) are well designed, good quality and reasonably priced, again delivery only a few days.
We use our oven at least once a week now, its very addictive. The ooni app provides the perfect recipes for tomato sauce and dough. The dough freezes well so we make a batch and freeze it.
We've made steaks, prawns, garlic bread and other stuff in it, 10/10
I would be very interested in the views of folk and recommendations, I have a weber with a pizza stone which is o.k, my boss has a big green enamell egg ( cant mind the name) he recommends that highly.
However i have really been thinking about making one. As it would be nice to sit there with the wood oven fire going.
Any body else built there own?

AlanT

Reaction score
I would be very interested in the views of folk and recommendations, I have a weber with a pizza stone which is o.k, my boss has a big green enamell egg ( cant mind the name) he recommends that highly.
However i have really been thinking about making one. As it would be nice to sit there with the wood oven fire going.
Any body else built there own?
I made up plans based on a a couple of good websites and got all the materials to build one but never got round to it. My friend built one, it looks really good but takes an eternity to heat up and never gets quite hot enough.
My opinion at the time was that the sections were too thick and the dome was a little high on the inside (an inch or two can make all the difference), so it was quite a large mass to heat and the volume and shape of the internal space didn't work efficiently. If your going to build one then do lots of research, its a big effort if it doesn't work properly (but great if it does!)
I used to have a stone on the bbq which was just passable, and a home built one is still very appealing, but after buying the Ooni I doubt I will ever get around to making a real one now.

Last edited:

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
A second for the Ooni, I have the gas powered Koda 16. Check John Lewis, Lakeland and Dobbies for stock.

There are a lot of peoples orders stuck on the Evergiven ship 🤦🏻‍♂️

chriswjx

Reaction score
my colleague can't stop banging on about his ooni, wood fired one too

have to say, from what i've heard of them they'd be worth the wait

Hemmy

Reaction score
Thanks for replies........I’m inclined towards going for the Ooni Khoda gas 12........and waiting on delivery

chriswjx

Reaction score
Thanks for replies........I’m inclined towards going for the Ooni Khoda gas 12........and waiting on delivery

Any problems with using the wood fired versions? Think they do one which is multi fuel, so you can still benefit from wood fired flavour if your so inclined, but switch it to gas if your in a hurry

Hemmy

Reaction score
Any problems with using the wood fired versions? Think they do one which is multi fuel, so you can still benefit from wood fired flavour if your so inclined, but switch it to gas if your in a hurry
That’s me confused again 🤦🏼‍♂️

chriswjx

Reaction score

I don't know what your budget is, or what your planning it for and I don't actually have one either 😅 but I've already convinced my missus that when we do finally find a house with a garden, that we're getting the one which can do gas and wood

Salad Dodger

Reaction score

I can’t remember which Ooni model it is but one them is a multi fuel oven (charcoal,wood or pellets) but you can also buy a separate gas burner attachment to use instead of the aforementioned.

(Edit, just remembered it’s the Karu)

Linloskin

Reaction score
I have an ooni karu. Great pizza oven. It can burn wood or you can buy a gas burner for it. I use wood. Very dry ash. It doesn't use much and takes about 20 mins to 30 mins to heat up. You need to chop the wood up and split it small to fit in.
Works great.
My best tip would be make sure you get a wooden or bamboo pizza peel to slide the pizza into oven to start cooking. Then use the metal peel to turn it and take it out. If you try and use the metal peel to put the raw pizza into the oven it sticks and you end up with calzone as I did!!! Get two wooden peels then you can prep and make two pizzas at a time.

AlanT

Reaction score
I believe the gas converter is very difficult to get a hold of, never in stock

AlanT

Reaction score
I have an ooni karu. Great pizza oven. It can burn wood or you can buy a gas burner for it. I use wood. Very dry ash. It doesn't use much and takes about 20 mins to 30 mins to heat up. You need to chop the wood up and split it small to fit in.
Works great.
My best tip would be make sure you get a wooden or bamboo pizza peel to slide the pizza into oven to start cooking. Then use the metal peel to turn it and take it out. If you try and use the metal peel to put the raw pizza into the oven it sticks and you end up with calzone as I did!!! Get two wooden peels then you can prep and make two pizzas at a time.
Spot on.
I put a scattering of semolina on the wooden peel to help it slip into the oven and a thin metal one to turn it and remove just as you say.

Put in with this
IMG-20210227-WA0005.jpg

Take out with this
IMG-20210227-WA0004.jpg

My diy portable server
20210302_145643.jpg

goosander

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend or give views on a good pizza oven for outdoors.
Was looking at Oonis but there seems to be a long wait for delivery.....6-8 weeks😟
Thanks in advance
My son got one and was surprised at the weight in it 1/4 of a ton. [He admits it was his fault] Brilliant and no comparison to a metal B.&Q.
Bob.