Pitlochry club

P!scator

Reaction score
I don't see why they should, they have fixed overheads & are not a profit making organisation. You are not paying for goods & services, you are paying for the right to fish so have not lost anything. We are all struggling & in the same position & it's not down to Pitlochry AC that you cannot fish.

Support your association & it might still be there once this is all behind us

Timmins

Reaction score
Dont know if its been on before ,But will the pitlochry ac be refunding the ££ for the days not fished due to covid19 :confused::confused::confused:
I was supposed to be on the dam on Tuesday 24th the first day of lock down and spoke with The club on phone who said all permits would be refunded as they could not move dates as the fishing is booked right up till June but could take a while

keirstream

Reaction score
I don't see why they should, they have fixed overheads & are not a profit making organisation. You are not paying for goods & services, you are paying for the right to fish so have not lost anything. We are all struggling & in the same position & it's not down to Pitlochry AC that you cannot fish.

Support your association & it might still be there once this is all behind us
You need to understand the local circumstances before generalising like that.
Pitlochry A.C. own the fishing at the dam outright so all angling income from outsiders is effectively free money to them They have no rents to pay so the income is used to carry out improvements and also subsidise fairly heavily the always full complement of local members. I would imagine they could easily stand a season or 2 without external income.
Other clubs, such as Crieff and Comrie, who rent their fishings and due to Cat 3 constantly lurking in the background, struggle with costs and falling memberships.
A different situation entirely.

innes

Reaction score
Keirstream, the majority of what you have written is not true and the rest a gross oversimplification of the workings of PAC. As salmon sec for several years I know the financial situation of the club but as you would expect I am not going to publicly discuss that info.But suffice to say your post is nonsense, I'm afraid. Innes

Last edited:

P!scator

Reaction score
Pitlochry A.C. own the fishing at the dam outright so all angling income from outsiders is effectively free money to them They have no rents to pay so the income is used to carry out improvements and also subsidise fairly heavily the always full complement of local members. I would imagine they could easily stand a season or 2 without external income.
Other clubs, such as Crieff and Comrie, who rent their fishings and due to Cat 3 constantly lurking in the background, struggle with costs and falling memberships.
I would have expected the association to be liable to the river board assessments for their fishings. But I'm not familiar with their financial situation

auldsalmon

Reaction score
:shocked:I must disagree as its not the club or our fault ,But you can't keep peoples hard earned cash because you have payed for the right to fish , as it is a country wide situation implemented by the goverment ,Fish pal have refunded ££ as far as i know ,. Everyone will get hit in some way or another ,:nod::nod:Not the same as you not turning up or flooded of ,:sad:i certainly have not got the cash to just loose the price of my tickets and not get the choice to go .

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Keirstream, the majority of what you have written is not true and the rest a gross oversimplification of the workings of PAC. As salmon sec for several years I know the financial situation of the club but as you would expect I am not going to publicly discuss that info.But suffice to say your post is nonsense, I'm afraid. Innes
Then I stand corrected Innes, I apologise.
Suffice to say then that you don't struggle for local members, nor do you struggle to let your fishings so I would say at the least, you are better placed than most other clubs to survive the present situation?

innes

Reaction score
Apology(to PAC) accepted Tom! But things are never as they seem and we do struggle for local members(under 60) and other than the dam peak weeks we do struggle to let the salmon fishing for the other months of the season with considerable bills needing to be paid whether people fish or not. Hope that helps.Innes

keirstream

Reaction score
Apology(to PAC) accepted Tom! But things are never as they seem and we do struggle for local members(under 60) and other than the dam peak weeks we do struggle to let the salmon fishing for the other months of the season with considerable bills needing to be paid whether people fish or not. Hope that helps.Innes
Well, I guess nobody is immune from the general malaise in failing club memberships then. I know that if I were 16 and lived in Pitlochry I would be round to your door like a whippet looking for a ticket. Changed days now though I suppose, the technology revolution has seen to that.:(
Good luck and please take care.:thumb:

glenelg100

Reaction score
I have a couple of days coming up soon, one April and another in May, just need to see what happens

innes

Reaction score
It's certainly a strange period for fishing. Having had the privilege to fish in a few beautiful spots around the world, in the salt, when you ask the guides what they would love to do.....fly fish for Scottish salmon and wild brown trout. Sometimes I think we don't appreciate what we still have. My formative years were spent worming for salmon, trout,grayling and the odd perch in a wee burn on the farm and once, failing to get the(spawning) salmon to eat the worm we chased it into the shallows and lifted it out with a tattie fork. We were probably 11 or 12yrs old.

glenelg100

Reaction score
Not totally true, I was flooded off the lower Tummel earlier this year, the river bailiff contacted me, I then got in touch with Athol Estate, and a new date was arranged. The new date was also cancelled due this virus, in which I have to recontact when things are a bit better.

neilt

Reaction score
Innes - just a suggestion. With the dam days quite sought after - could the club consider rolling the day (not exact date) forward to next season or a refund?
Sure you’ll be debating your response etc - the roll forward option would be good.
Cheers
Neil

Greegs

Reaction score
Not totally true, I was flooded off the lower Tummel earlier this year, the river bailiff contacted me, I then got in touch with Athol Estate, and a new date was arranged. The new date was also cancelled due this virus, in which I have to recontact when things are a bit better.
Agree, we got flooded off Dalguise years ago.
Started fishing & within the hour the river rose rapidly & then was unfishable.

We sat on a bench then in the fishing hut, I drank coffee, whilst my m8 & Stanley (god bless him) tucked into a nice bottle of Malt.

We got offered another days free fishing but never took it up sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kinnaber

Reaction score
Crieff rent their fishing ? Maybe partly but seem to recall they bought the Strowan beat ( £90,000 rings a bell )from cash reserves topped up with a lottery handout ?

keirstream

Reaction score
Crieff rent their fishing ? Maybe partly but seem to recall they bought the Strowan beat ( £90,000 rings a bell )from cash reserves topped up with a lottery handout ?
They do, but they still rent Braidhaugh and Drummond Estates waters which make up the bulk of their fishings. Comrie, I believe, rent all their waters.

goosander

Reaction score
To me this is more personal.
Our syndicate has leased a stretch of the river Earn for over 40 years. We were given a rent free year a few seasons ago because the fishing had been poor the previous year. I would on behalf of the syndicate never dream of asking for a refund. It is not the estates fault that we can not fish.
Bob.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Anyone heard what is happening with booked days?
They have said to keep an eye on the news section of the website but no change as yet.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Well as soon as you decide to take non local members give me a shout I’m under 60 (46) and my 14 year old young lad would jump at the chance to join you guys club.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I have always hoped that PAC would one day offer outside memberships or come up with a ticket available to all where you got X amount of days in each calendar month and were guaranteed say at least 1 day in March/April/May on the Dam as part of the ticket. We can live in hope ? One thing for sure is that there is a dwindling number of salmon fishers and not the same numbers of young anglers coming through to fill the clubs and day ticket waters. My season tickets for the football guarantee me tickets to the big home matches by paying up front for the seasons less attractive games and maybe a ticket with this sort of access would be a way forward for them to get more anglers on the their beats outwith "Peak season at the Dam". If honest i stopped trying to get Dam tickets years ago due to work commitments.

neilt

Reaction score
24th March to 14th April full refund.
If/As lockdown extends so will refunds.
Fair play - well done PAC.

RB34

Reaction score
Dont know if its been on before ,But will the pitlochry ac be refunding the ££ for the days not fished due to covid19 :confused::confused::confused:
Purely out of interest and to be provide some context, how much is the membership and how much are u expecting refunded here?