photographing flies

mc andy

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on how best the photograph flies. i see picture with complete white backgrounds and perfect focus and would like to at least take slightly better images or better my pictures with little or no equipment.

i currently use my phone sony z1 witch has a 20 mega pixel camera and does have macro facility . i appreciate my options are limited but are better pics possible?

have included my last fly for some tips:)

as i said not great:eek:

kgm

Reaction score
I use a 30 quid discontinued Kodak of around 8 mega pixels, I take the picture through my x2 daylight magnifier lamp. If I use a Matt cardboard background it usually comes out ok.

I think some of the pictures against pure white or pure black backgrounds loose some of the detail in the fly unless you have better quality photographic equipment, both hardware and software.

jrobertson

Reaction score
What you need is a contrasting backboard! I made one up with light blue or white inside an A4 clip board (wallet type) colour on one side and white on the other, get the sponge sheets and folder from WH Smiths for under a fiver! Switch whichever side you want.