Pheasant Irish Shrimp - Second Attempt

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All,

Here's another shot at an experiment to tie a fly from Pheasant feathers. I liked the first attempt but didn't do a good rib and the rubbish picture doesn't show the natural colours very well.

https://www.salmonfishingforum.com/...ly-patterns/185752-pheasant-irish-shrimp.html

Same materials - except swapped the Med Oval gold for small oval.

1) rump but using the blue/grey ones for tail
2) feather from around breast as mid hackle
3) the white ring of the neck as veilings
4) the peacocky soft feather on the neck as front hackle

Small Gold oval (back), red and silver wire (front), JC, black head. Size 10 patriot.

Much happier with this one - It's dull and drab but has lovely colours if that makes sense!

All the best, Patrick

IMG_0035.JPG

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Absolutely stunning fly Patrick :cool: love the addition of the peacocky feather

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
That’s a lovely looking fly that really brings the ‘drab’ colours to life and another good use of those pheasant feathers!

AlanT

Reaction score
I've never tied an irish shrimp before but from what I can see, thats fantastic :thumb:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I very happy with the outcome - but it’s also given me some ideas how to use some of the other feathers- particularly the veilings- which I think will dye easily ( or even with Pantone marker). Also the neck feathers with a touch of ‘peacock’ I can see as a front hackle on other flies. All the best, Patrick

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
It’s nice to return a compliment so I have to say that’s one of the nicest looking flies I’ve seen on the forum. If looks can kill you’ll get a boatload!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
It’s nice to return a compliment so I have to say that’s one of the nicest looking flies I’ve seen on the forum. If looks can kill you’ll get a boatload!

Cheers GK, much appreciated. I have a couple of other experiments on the go - one of which is to try and do something along the lines of your tremendous Judy of the Bogs! All the best, Patrick

D

Deleted member 21259

What's up doc? Lots of people saying lots of good stuff about your fly and I just gotta have my own ten bobs worth. For me the colours are absolutely cock on, definitely not at all drab. The real juju element though is the material distribution. It would have been really easy to over dress the thing. You have hit it absolutely perfectly. Fantastic dressing. Very well done indeed :cool:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
What's up doc? Lots of people saying lots of good stuff about your fly and I just gotta have my own ten bobs worth. For me the colours are absolutely cock on, definitely not at all drab. The real juju element though is the material distribution. It would have been really easy to over dress the thing. You have hit it absolutely perfectly. Fantastic dressing. Very well done indeed :cool:

Many thanks for your kind words Perrypokemon. Glad you like it - it was kind of a art experiment and wondering if I could make use of some more feathers. I'd definitely give it a chuck - especially if the bright flies aren't working or it's summer lows. I've got another couple of experiments on the go - so I'll hopefully share that when i get a chance. All the best and thanks for your support! Patrick

gcp1987

Reaction score
The pattern looks absolutely brilliant and given the generally ready supply of pheasant feathers over most of the rural UK this should be a far more popular pattern to tie!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
The pattern looks absolutely brilliant and given the generally ready supply of pheasant feathers over most of the rural UK this should be a far more popular pattern to tie!
Cheers Gcp - there some great feathers on a Pheasant. The obvious ones that everyone uses are the tail feathers for pheasant tail nymphs or legs for daddies or hawthorn type flies. The rump feathers - are already also popular - especially when dyed are fantastic spey hackles, subs for Golden Pheasant (as used here in the Irish shrimp style) - but also some of the neck feathers are fantastic - often wondered if they could be used as a JC sub. Given the abundance of these birds in the UK they should be a super cheap option for plenty of flies 👍👍👍