Petition to ban Supertrawlers from UK Waters

GeeBee

Reaction score
I think the below is self explanatory, Australia has already banned them from landing fish or refuelling in Aussie ports. Its time we did the same to protect our smolts as bycatch.

http://chng.it/NMfbzZFzQg

Please sign and share, with 10,500 signatures, this will now be going out to MPs , the ASF, BASS, fishing and local media for their support.

Cheers

Mark

goosander

Reaction score
Signed. The by catch from these ships is bad enough. Local waters for local ships and put a limit on them as well. From what one sees the netsmen at least those that used to net the rivers want to catch everything with no tomorrow.
Bob.

meyre

Reaction score
Parlevliet & Van der Plas, the Dutch fishing giant which owns the Margiris, says it has an “excellent reputation for sustainable fishing”. The catch from waters off Sussex and Dorset will go to supply markets in Africa and the Far East.
Local fish stocks [in Africa] are run down by similar Dutch and Spanish boats fishing on EU deals. Such contracts are fixed with with (poor) host nations like Mauritania, as 'aid'. Chinese operators ( eg Hong Dong Fisheries of Fuzhou) have also cashed in with strip fishing programmes . They've just arranged to do the same in Guyana …. '' 2003 report FAO S. America: It is accepted that, of the shrimp resources, the prawn have been overexploited, while there is concern that the seabob (a smaller shrimp) and sharks are showing signs of overexploitation. ...So goodbye to Guyana's domestic fish and the 7,000 jobs it has supported.
Industrial exploitation makes it likely the inhabitants of these low-income countries will have to rely on imports from places like Europe.
Destruction of artisanal fisheries has led to a spiral of poverty and emigration from littoral W.Africa. All the while, such fish that can be caught locally is at risk of being churned out as fishmeal to produce farmed fish to put on the tables of richer nations.

There now, best to explain this good news!

MicklemusH

Reaction score
Catching smouts -you can't be serious?

I think the below is self explanatory, Australia has already banned them from landing fish or refuelling in Aussie ports. Its time we did the same to protect our smolts as bycatch.

Please sign and share, with 10,500 signatures, this will now be going out to MPs , the ASF, BASS, fishing and local media for their support.

Cheers

Mark
Is that right the boats catching young sea trout & salmon as a by catch? If they are that is the most ridiculous anti conservation tactic I've ever heard. It adds to the irrational catch of krill (cat food)that I'm surprised any of the north country salmon fisheries allow........ North Wales we never ever got a reply to any letter from the Fisheries when we complained that the fish were getting scarcer and scarser each and every season.
In the eighties the BBC program when the Bailiffs were spoken to on the main tributary of the Spey, the A'n not enough was done to curb the antics of the Boats.
This applied to the nets as well because Oglesby went down to rebuke the netsmen. It was a bad year that year. The thick headed bailiffs however made it their place to hound the rod fishers thereafter that program........ When it had been 'fly only' for many years what did I find outside the back door of one bailiffs house? A bucket of moss with plenty of worms in it!

I think the video systems the boats have now & the fact that the food of the fish is being reaped in will be the end of the fish because nothing can survive without food.

How on earth has this been allowed to happen? Money the killer has been allowed to thrive at the expense of everything else.

We used to catch a few mackerel to eat..... mark my words when I say that species is going the same way....... Is it the so called factory ships?

Last edited:

MicklemusH

Reaction score
Parlevliet & Van der Plas, the Dutch fishing giant which owns the Margiris, says it has an “excellent reputation for sustainable fishing”. The catch from waters off Sussex and Dorset will go to supply markets in Africa and the Far East.
Local fish stocks [in Africa] are run down by similar Dutch and Spanish boats fishing on EU deals. Such contracts are fixed with with (poor) host nations like Mauritania, as 'aid'. Chinese operators ( eg Hong Dong Fisheries of Fuzhou) have also cashed in with strip fishing programmes . They've just arranged to do the same in Guyana …. '' 2003 report FAO S. America: It is accepted that, of the shrimp resources, the prawn have been overexploited, while there is concern that the seabob (a smaller shrimp) and sharks are showing signs of overexploitation. ...So goodbye to Guyana's domestic fish and the 7,000 jobs it has supported.
Industrial exploitation makes it likely the inhabitants of these low-income countries will have to rely on imports from places like Europe.
Destruction of artisanal fisheries has led to a spiral of poverty and emigration from littoral W.Africa. All the while, such fish that can be caught locally is at risk of being churned out as fishmeal to produce farmed fish to put on the tables of richer nations.

There now, best to explain this good news!

That's an eye opener.......... Incredible. Humans have got to try to behave more than they have done since the flint axe and when hooks were made of bone ! Haven't the population of the earth realised yet that something is radically wrong with so called conservation. However I do feel a bit behind hand on the seal situation because although I found it difficult to find I see the 'rifles' are already out 2016.
Much crying and hand wringing though from the anti shooting brigade........ the 'conservators' have been too far North at the moment but hopefully they are moving South into Spey Bay? Who knows perhaps down to the Farnes where I would predict a lot of trouble. Our local Deer shooter used to get loads of trouble from the Antis & I said why don't you do it when we are all in bed fast asleep....He did!

Last edited:

Saint Andrews

Reaction score

Cheers

Mark

Done

MicklemusH

Reaction score
I wish they'd let us shoot seals because the coast is inundated with them...... I'm not saying anhilalate them but severely cull their numbers...... The National Trust Farnes bloke said =it'll be a bumper year this year and sure enough the population has gone up by 57%. They must feel untouchable these stupid people to publicise that fact...... Don't they know the returning fish are now 5 returning adults out of 100 smoults going out?

When the numbers of seals in the UK amount to about 37000 it makes one wonder are the seals taking the smoults as they try to get to sea? This N T supervisor/warden on Farnes said seals eat sand eels! it's their favourite! Well a smoult is a better moutfull than any sand eel now aint it?

And then there's the Seal protection league who publicise in the Indipendent newspaper that there are more African Elephants than Seals. He complains that seals are shot by those protecting their Salmon Farms and then shows a picture of a dead
sea lion........ It's well worth knowing that the conservation of salmon will be dealing with shysters and liars.

In North Wales the bailiff shot seals on sight...... Trout and Salmon mag in the 80ties said 2 seals were seen to be chasing fish right up to the junction pool on the Dwyfor, both seals were shot...... Not a word of complaint from anyone. What would happen now? My fishing pal Portmadoc says my dad used to shoot them regularly to keep the numbers in check!
What has gone wrong with conservation..... =backwards!

Last edited:

goosander

Reaction score
When one goes back a number of years the river estuary's were full of death dealing things like chemicals/sludge boats etc. The river Leven [out of loch Lomond] ran turkey red at holiday time and was so badly poached that there was a saying that the only way a fish could get to the loch was to take the bus.
Now all those things have stopped the rivers should have been full of fish. ??
Bob.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I'm surprised this petition hasn't generated more discussion and interest on here, whilst I understand there are issues closer to home that need urgently addressing (FEBs, Seals, habitat degregation etc) we need to support and address all issues and this is a major one IMO

Walleye

Reaction score
Signed

If anyone is interested in this subject I recommend this book

IMG_20200120_210144.jpg.

And these graphs, the second of which is corrected for fishing effort, pretty much says it all about how our seas have changed since the advent of industrial fishing.

IMG_20200120_210217.jpg

Tyke777

Reaction score
Just had a quick look at where some of the super trawlers currently are, Annelies ilena and Maarartje Theadora are both, quite close together due west of Galway, Helen Mary in in the English Channel heading east and Margiris is in port in Holland.

Each vessel will account for an incredible amount of fish, its not at all like the old days with small trawlers heading out from the east coast ports, the infamous fleets in scotland etc. those days are long gone sadly

Reaction score

Cheers

Mark
Bump - Signed Aswell