Perth By-pass 2019

Rennie

Reaction score
Just back from almost 2 weeks on the Tay at Perth.I've fished here for over 30 years now and had some truly great times.
Sadly it pains me greatly to say the once great River Tay is now beyond being on it's knees.1st two weeks of Sept., historically prime time and the Tay looks little more than a watery by-pass for Perth!.I caught(only just!), but that's despite flogging from dawn to almost dusk.Me n Tyke gave it a reet pasting for a paltry return.Now, there were 2 days I never even saw a fish!-at all, had 3 in my first week and not a tap, knock, pull or owt for the second.Almond mouth had blank days!, unheard of even in flood!.
I do feel the clocks a ticking now, the demise of Salmon fishing is almost upon us, either through no fish at all, or a total enforced or even probable voluntary cessation of the sport for many.
I can only wonder of how many fish are getting to some of the tributaries, the figure must be pitiful!.
The next week or so will see the truth on the Ribble where I also fish, but I'm not expecting a lot there either!.
As ever too little wayyyyy too late.What price Hydro. on all our once thriving Salmon rivers very soon?
Sadly yours,Pedro.

mc andy

Reaction score
I had been wondering how your water had been fishing Pedro? Sad news indeed.

I see almond mouth had the best August catches in 5 years, you may need to come up earlier in future.

keirstream

Reaction score
Just back from almost 2 weeks on the Tay at Perth.I've fished here for over 30 years now and had some truly great times.
Sadly it pains me greatly to say the once great River Tay is now beyond being on it's knees.1st two weeks of Sept., historically prime time and the Tay looks little more than a watery by-pass for Perth!.I caught(only just!), but that's despite flogging from dawn to almost dusk.

A pal of mine from Blair, Milos, who you probably know, told me today that the run had gone now from Stormont waters, little to be seen or caught over the last 2 weeks. There was a time not so long ago, when some anglers fishing there solely for profit (you know who I am particularly talking about) would take 6 basses down each visit and would be disappointed if he did not fill them at this time of year. A distant memory now in these days of ever more pitiful returns.:(
He also said that what fish are in the Tay appear to be concentrated in the Lower river above Almondmouth and below the Isla. The tribs are all pretty poor this year, the Ericht hasn't got going and only around 1500 through Pitlochry counter.
It really is a sad state of affairs but not confined to the Tay. My local rivers, the Earn and Teith, 2 of the best back end rivers in Scotland not so very long ago are both pretty much devoid of fresh fish with only a few river fish turning up here and there.
It'll be better next *(week)*, *(month)*, *(year).*
*Insert or delete as appropriate*:)

offshore

Reaction score
Two weeks continuous salmon fishing is a lot IMHO, although I realise Perth is a long drive

For me, 3 days is enough if the fishing is reasonably good, and more than enough if the fishing is bad; its certainly enough on my body if you are casting on a river the size of the Tay.

Would you be better to act like a fishing terrorist another year - base yourself up in Perth for a week and then have several days on different rivers in driving distance that may be doing a bit better or have better conditions on the day ?

Both the rivers you mention most (Tay and Ribble) seeming to be having bad years, so you are maybe getting more disillusioned than is necessary - I have been guilty of that myself.

Nb. With such a large, partially unspoilt catchment I am surprised the Tay has been doing so badly; dont understand it.

barbonboy

Reaction score
I have fished Lower Kinnaird, Kercock, and Stobhall, this year. The shortage of fish is a great concern, to all the gillies.

D

Deleted member 1812

That's why we're going Barbel South bound this year and I'm selling my Salmon gear bit by bit. No one will want to spend money on the job lot..Still love Scotland. Just come back from a week on Skye but I just cant see myself Salmon fishing in Scotland again to be honest.
I haven't fished in Scotland for 3 years. It used to be 2 or 3 times a year. The fish have gone and so has my spirit for catching them.

Rennie

Reaction score
Ofshore,I've fished those waters on the Tay for over 30 years now and did indeed experience some of the times of plenty.Some of the catches I've seen on there were quite outstanding!(polite way of agreeing with Kierstream!).I just love the place, I love the wading and big casting and most of all love it when a big chrome bright fish clears off back towards Dundee "wiv me flee" taking most of my backing with it!.
For what I pay for the season, I feel most comfortable in giving the place a real good pasting as often as I'm able(less so these days afraid!), I'd barely get a few days in elsewhere for that money and I am pretty confident its Champangne fishing for Lemonade brass, still always have the chance of a special fish of a lifetime here!
I have the memory this year of 70 yds of backing being ripped off the reel in the first run, that will stay with me for a long time, a good fish in a heavy stream certainly puts a smile on my face!.
As for the state of the runs of fish, well its amazing how so many rivers are suffering exactly the same problems while all having completely differing eco systems and their own specific problems.For me its a question of a common denominator and thats netting on an extinction level on the high seas! and for more than just Salmon.China is struggling to feed its population now!,they'll take all they can get from where ever they can get it from.
Salmon fishing gear for sale!,any one?.
Pedro.

Loxie

Reaction score
That's why we're going Barbel South bound this year and I'm selling my Salmon gear bit by bit. No one will want to spend money on the job lot..Still love Scotland. Just come back from a week on Skye but I just cant see myself Salmon fishing in Scotland again to be honest.
I haven't fished in Scotland for 3 years. It used to be 2 or 3 times a year. The fish have gone and so has my spirit for catching them.

It's not all bleak, some bits are still good. I've caught 32 salmon and grilse in 18 days fishing in Scotland this season, and could have had more if I'd tried a bit harder!

keirstream

Reaction score
It's not all bleak, some bits are still good. I've caught 32 salmon and grilse in 18 days fishing in Scotland this season, and could have had more if I'd tried a bit harder!

Andrew,
you and I both know that the rivers to which you refer are now pretty much tied up in terms of lets. The rivers to which Simon is probably referring to are those still relatively available to the masses and which all have the one common denominator, man's interference and foot print.
It's a hard gig generally in the vast majority of Scotland's rivers.

keirstream

Reaction score
Ofshore,I've fished those waters on the Tay for over 30 years now and did indeed experience some of the times of plenty.Some of the catches I've seen on there were quite outstanding!(polite way of agreeing with Kierstream!).

I get that the Stormont ticket still retains value for what it offers.
What I don't get is why would you agree impolitely?
Surely you either agree or disagree?

offshore

Reaction score
I have fished the Tay and Spey before, but must admit it hasn't even occurred to me this season to take a full days drive up there. I am just picking away at bits and pieces more local.

Rennie

Reaction score
What I mean kierstream is I agree with you and that’s my polite way of saying so, am not being disrespectful to the owner of 6 full fish basses !. What was, was there’s no going back and that certainly wasn’t an isolated individual, those were different times and days indeed, neither am I pouring scorn towards you or what you say either. Great shame that things have come to this in the face of how it used to be!

keirstream

Reaction score
What I mean kierstream is I agree with you and that’s my polite way of saying so, am not being disrespectful to the owner of 6 full fish basses !. What was, was there’s no going back and that certainly wasn’t an isolated individual, those were different times and days indeed, neither am I pouring scorn towards you or what you say either. Great shame that things have come to this in the face of how it used to be!

I don't think its in any way disrespectful to talk about what actually happened in the past. It happened, so be it and B.T.W. it is no slight on anyone because at that time there weren't many fish returned the whole length and breadth of the Tay.
It does illustrate vividly though, where we are in terms of runs. Back then, when you were fishing Stormont, you would expect to have 20ish fish for your 2 weeks if you had the conditions. Now you have struggled for 3, a single decent day back then. It is so sad. Still, though, there remains the realistic chance of the fish of a lifetime which still keeps some devotees interested.
But for how much longer?

butter o mary

Reaction score
I don't think its in any way disrespectful to talk about what actually happened in the past. It happened, so be it and B.T.W. it is no slight on anyone because at that time there weren't many fish returned the whole length and breadth of the Tay.
It does illustrate vividly though, where we are in terms of runs. Back then, when you were fishing Stormont, you would expect to have 20ish fish for your 2 weeks if you had the conditions. Now you have struggled for 3, a single decent day back then. It is so sad. Still, though, there remains the realistic chance of the fish of a lifetime which still keeps some devotees interested.
But for how much longer?

Like Pedro - I have fished the Tay for over 30 years - mostly on Stormont but also on the Tummell and Ericht. I have been lucky enough to experience some double figure days. I have also had a lot of blanks! They Tay is really a shadow of what it was. The reasons are complex. I have a very good and long time friend who works for TSF and I am told the system is healthy in terms of water quality and its probably healthier than it has ever been as a result of good work by SEPA and others. The system also has a very healthy and very sustainable stock of parr, smolts and so on (but there are exceptions). I also met a VERY well known, lower Tay ghillie last weekend (no names). He told me the back end is a shadow of what it was and the last 6 weeks are not the best time these days. The period from mid June to mid August has seen much better catches with more fish being seen as well. The problem is at sea in all likelihood. Most of my angling friends have been saying this for over 15 years. Lack of food at sea, over fishing, climate change, differing run patterns..... Who really knows?
I have had some great times on the Tay and I am grateful for those times. Amazing laughs and terrific memories of angling friends (some of whom are now fishing in the sky). My salmon fishing days are probably past me now - even though I have my gear and live in hope of course.
Over the last few years I have done a fair bit of wild brownie fishing on various highland, highland Perthshire, Orkney and west coast lochs. Terrific fun, lots of takes, and great sport...... on occasion. I can highly recommend it - it has given me a new lease of life in terms of fishing and I would heartily recommend it to any 'temporarily lapsed' salmon angler.
But - there is nothing like an sea liced very angry 15lb back-end fish tearing 70 yards off the reel and heading down the flats with a 1.5 inch tube fixed in its scissors though!
Screaming reels to all.

Last edited:

Method man

Reaction score
I am currently staying at bridge of Tilt for a few days as I have done for a few years now.
I know the area and rivers in this area very well. I am probably no more than 1/4 of a mile above the meetings of the Garry & the Tilt which is the main headwater of the Tay & where the majority of fish spawn.
When I stay here I always walk the Tilt & noticed some cracking long, deep holding pools on the front of the park.
When I arrived on Monday I couldn’t believe what I was seeing......
2 excavators & 2 dumpers in the middle of the tilt dredging the bottom & shoring up the park side banking
Where the machines were sitting is where one of the deep runs were, it would have been at least 8ft deep, it is now no more than knee deep full width of the river which has actually been diverted to the opposite bank & a shingle created in front of the gabian baskets.
Took a pic of this notice at reception.

IMG_9682.JPG

Scary to think the floods happened 3 years ago & the works have been approved to coincide with the main run of tilt fish.

I called SEPA & all the girl could tell me was that a license had been granted but had expired & they didn’t know why the work was still ongoing
Called the Tay board & was told I had done the right thing as all that they would do would be call SEPA too.
Very concerning that from mid July -midSeptember the machines are dredging, shallowing the river & piling stone full width of the tilt.
Below the work the river is all cloudy caused by the work.
Combine that with one of the worst years of numbers through Pitlochry counter, what chance do the fish have........

IMG_9664.JPGIMG_9678.JPGIMG_9679.JPGIMG_9680.JPGIMG_9681.JPGIMG_9678.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
F'uck wittery at it's worst - we're near the end of Sept for God's sake.

If they don't have a valid SEPA licence I trust they'll be getting slapped with a huge fine?

Method man

Reaction score
F'uck wittery at it's worst - we're near the end of Sept for God's sake.

If they don't have a valid SEPA licence I trust they'll be getting slapped with a huge fine?

It appears not Andy,
They’ve apparently been told to hurry up & get it back to some sort of semblance pronto which in my opinion is just not achievable from how the river was to the condition the river is in now.
I don’t blame the workers or the park but surely there should be adequate guidance from SEPA re: fish running through, potential redds (possibly a touch early but maybe not), the fact that this has been going on for approximately 2 months now & at the very least, maintaining a sufficient section of river that can be navigated by migratory fish whilst works are ongoing but it appears none of this has taken place.

The mind boggles :doh:

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
It appears not Andy,
They’ve apparently been told to hurry up & get it back to some sort of semblance pronto which in my opinion is just not achievable from how the river was to the condition the river is in now.
I don’t blame the workers or the park but surely there should be adequate guidance from SEPA re: fish running through, potential redds (possibly a touch early but maybe not), the fact that this has been going on for approximately 2 months now & at the very least, maintaining a sufficient section of river that can be navigated by migratory fish whilst works are ongoing but it appears none of this has taken place.

The mind boggles :doh:

SEPA were involved in a similar project at Lanrick Weir for the last 4 weeks.
Right in the peak of migratory runs but little consideration for that.
F.D.S.F.B. said they knew nothing about it despite the Laird of Lanrick being a long time prominent member of the board.
The mind does indeed boggle MM even much closer to home.:(