Pert Camera

westie4566

Reaction score
Westie, did you take these around 15.00 today from the road to Edzell Woods? Just before the little fishing parking slot as the Lang Stracht starts? 4x4 vehicle?
If that was you behind me I was the estate car in the parking slot.:cool:
That poor mill house has taken a real hammering in the last year and has been flooded at least 3 times, but nothing compared to today.

Euan

Nae guilty Euan - but sounds like you were parked behind my mates!!! They sent me the pics earlier. I was busy taking in the Dee devastation!

Soundmixer

Reaction score
More Storm chasers of the universe :)

No danger mate! Way too old and wise to be on a bridge with that level of water.
Had to stop in a safe place to record the size of the Northie. I am wondering what I will find when the waters receed and I can get down to Stracathro beat.
Just seen more pix of the Cambus bridge and it might not be there tomorrow.

Euan

westie4566

Reaction score
No danger mate! Way too old and wise to be on a bridge with that level of water.
Had to stop in a safe place to record the size of the Northie. I am wondering what I will find when the waters receed and I can get down to Stracathro beat.
Just seen more pix of the Cambus bridge and it might not be there tomorrow.

Euan

Hughie's hut is fairly high up - fingers crossed it's still there. It's been there a very long time so think it should have survived. Thankfuly he built the new toilet and wood store equally high!!;)

westie4566

Reaction score
No news on the southie??

Was still huge and rising early this evening - here's hoping Brechin's new flood defences hold up!!

Edit

Peaked earlier at nigh on 11 foot - starting to drop back now.

Nae at all good.:(

Last edited:

ayrshireboy

Reaction score
Was still huge and rising early this evening - here's hoping Brechin's new flood defences hold up!!

Edit

Peaked earlier at nigh on 11 foot - starting to drop back now.

Nae at all good.:(

How does that compare with previous highs on the southie and was all works complete at Brechin Westie?

GStrachan

Reaction score
Pert

I took these at 10:30am, there were some massive trees coming down the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 224

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Another foot or so and David's hut is flooded, that must be around peak height

westie4566

Reaction score
How does that compare with previous highs on the southie and was all works complete at Brechin Westie?

It surpassed it's last record from 1982 at Tannadice according to Sepa. Don't know if the works are complete or not tbh - certainly they seemed to be about finished the work at the top end of our beat.

Loxie

Reaction score
I wonder what Morphie dyke looks like or if it's still there.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Great photos of the power of old mother nature, thanks for posting mik

Hemmy

Reaction score
Mental isn't it!!! Was blethering to Ron this am, he and Stevie were around both Esks yesterday - couldn't believe how bad it was/is.

Many parts of the river will be changed forever.

If these storms appear on a regular basis some rivers will start changing there course in part like a river I used to fish in Alaska....the pools were completely different each year

westie4566

Reaction score
If these storms appear on a regular basis some rivers will start changing there course in part like a river I used to fish in Alaska....the pools were completely different each year

We have fishing up on the Westwater which has a section like that. We dread to think what we'll find when we go up there.

Having seen some pics of the damage done up on the Kirriemuir Angling Club stretch, I shudder to think what we'll find down on our stretch. Both their bridges have gone and the Red Braes is unrecognisable.

Water was still too high today to get down our stretch - might have a run down tomorrow/Saturday and see how bad it is.

Soundmixer

Reaction score
Took my dogs for a wee wander down to the Stracathro beat yesterday just to see if the hut was still there. The tide mark in the fields was just incredible and I wasn't sure that the hut would have survived.
P1010031.jpg
The hut is away in the middle distance and the river is way off to the left.

However...
P1010043.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010052.jpg

As you can see the water reached the hut but flowed under it. The sand at the front, the branch and the flat grass is the only evidence of how close it came to not being there. The car park is rubble and the steps are a bit buried but other than that it is fine.:D

The junction of the Westwater and the Northie has now changed a bit too with a new spit sticking out in to the river.

P1010046.jpg

The whole area round the hut was under water and the holiday houses on the way down to the hut actually have a tree trunk against the dyke, and there are more tree trunks stuck in the fenceline halfway between the river and the houses.

P1010059.jpg

Pretty wild weather!

Euan