Peregrine v Grey Partridge - unfair contest

Tyke777

Reaction score
Just spent a couple of hours in the garden, planting the last of the Potatoes, Onions and Broad Beans - a very cold but bright morning but made palatable by the constant chirping of the partridge over the hedge in the field next door.

Went inside and put the kettle on, enjoying a cuppa, looked up and saw one of the local Peregrines plucking and eating one of the Partridges. I went for the camera but as I came back into the kitchen he spotted my movement and went off, leaving the partridge behind.

Its a pity that he didn't take one of the local Jackdaws, Pigeons or even Sea Gulls - however all was not lost - he had plucked and ate the back of the bird only, leaving the breast untouched - the starter for my dinner this evening. :)

Both Peregrine and Grey, sometimes known as English Partridge, such beautiful birds.

A few feathers for some great Spider Flies however๐Ÿ‘:cool:

Peregrine Meal.jpg

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Sad to lose a prince of of game birds, unique to England, but that's nature taking its course.

Tyke777

Reaction score
Sad to lose a prince of of game birds, unique to England, but that's nature taking its course.
Totally agree Michael, we are fortunate here to have a growing number of Greys getting established, the local shoots for the past decade or so have stopped shooting them. Its good land and good hedgerows with a few of the "beetle banks" and "headlands" being left. This alone helps numerous species in growing numbers.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Just spent a couple of hours in the garden, planting the last of the Potatoes, Onions and Broad Beans - a very cold but bright morning but made palatable by the constant chirping of the partridge over the hedge in the field next door.

Went inside and put the kettle on, enjoying a cuppa, looked up and saw one of the local Peregrines plucking and eating one of the Partridges. I went for the camera but as I came back into the kitchen he spotted my movement and went off, leaving the partridge behind.

Its a pity that he didn't take one of the local Jackdaws, Pigeons or even Sea Gulls - however all was not lost - he had plucked and ate the back of the bird only, leaving the breast untouched - the starter for my dinner this evening. :)

Both Peregrine and Grey, sometimes known as English Partridge, such beautiful birds.

View attachment 59560
Partridge and orange.
Great trout fly.
Easiest fly on the planet to make too.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
A good mate of mine has two fantastic bird's, he also has 6 harris hawks
I've been out of the game for a while now due to circumstances but I found spars easier to work with than the gos... ๐Ÿค”
I used to think that Harris' hawks were for people who couldn't dedicate the time to a REAL hawk...
Until I got one that is lol
I truely wish I was in the situation to have a cast of parent reared Harris'
Seatrout is the summer and a cast of Harrishawks in the winter would be perfect ๐Ÿ‘

AlanT

Reaction score
Not a partridge, but another meal in the offing !!!
I regularly see a goshawk chasing pigeons through the woods next to our trout lake in East Lothian, the speed and agility of both are frightening.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
Ive seen a juvenile Peregrine stoop at a Brent goose and been told some of the adults do take them down.

Anyone with a Harris needs to get out right now, they are the best maggie catchers around, just need a long stick/poking pole.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Ive seen a juvenile Peregrine stoop at a Brent goose and been told some of the adults do take them down.

Anyone with a Harris needs to get out right now, they are the best maggie catchers around, just need a long stick/poking pole.

I've seen a peregrine and a crow have square go once. A lot of noise and feathers flying everywhere

Handel

Reaction score
I regularly see a goshawk chasing pigeons through the woods next to our trout lake in East Lothian, the speed and agility of both are frightening.
I was watching a hobby chasing one of our house martins last year. Now I know where the ideas for the Star Wars films came from. They could both turn a right angle at top speed.

RICO

Reaction score
Have any of you come across this one ? A pair of peregrines nesting at St. Georges in Sheffield. The cameras are run by the University of Sheffield.
Interesting viewing, especially now, as it seems they are sitting on eggs.

Tyke777

Reaction score
Have any of you come across this one ? A pair of peregrines nesting at St. Georges in Sheffield. The cameras are run by the University of Sheffield.
Interesting viewing, especially now, as it seems they are sitting on eggs.
Hi Rico,
Yes watched that one and another site - https://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/peregrine-cam
That site in Nottingham is interesting this year in as much the original female of the pair that has hatched successfully for a number of years was found dead in the centre of Nottingham just a few weeks ago - a new female has appeared (related to the male as a niece)
It will be interesting to see if she accepts the existing two eggs or throws them out when she starts laying - Nature is very resourceful but is always totally ruthless

RICO

Reaction score
Hi Rico,
Yes watched that one and another site - https://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/peregrine-cam
That site in Nottingham is interesting this year in as much the original female of the pair that has hatched successfully for a number of years was found dead in the centre of Nottingham just a few weeks ago - a new female has appeared (related to the male as a niece)
It will be interesting to see if she accepts the existing two eggs or throws them out when she starts laying - Nature is very resourceful but is always totally ruthless
Hey, that's a clean nest site compared to Sheffield, must be a good ......... not sure what to put to be pc ;)

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)

View attachment 59560

Cracking tale and pic, thanks. I love partridge,used to have them on the country lanes and hedgerows where I grew up and as a nester it was fairly common to find up to 18 eggs had been laid*. I always thought they were confined to UK but the nickname "Hun" gave it away and I even came accross them in the middle east...

* supporters of CCR will cry foul as is their wont, but of course, synchem insecticides and grubbing up of formerly abundant hedgerows to increase wheat production did for the populations that were local to me. Plus we always left a bakers dozen!

And a nightmare to fly ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Only ever had one and it nearly made me give up short wings๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Aye, total mystery, what goes on between a gos's ears... My falconry mentor trained me with a black spar, which is Africa's equivalent of the bonkers gos. Same issue.

Harris's are like longwings in comparison, IME, though I never killed a 7lb hare with a longwing!!!

goosander

Reaction score
Watched peregrines in Johnston maim St. After the pigeons. Remember watching a merlin after a skylark. The skylark would drop like a stone then the merlin would try and both would then circle back up into the sky. There was a sparrow hawk plucking a pigeon under the railway bridge and people were passing a foot or two from it and it never bothered. Seen peregrines take a hovering kestrel.
Bob.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I think it was last year when I nearly jumped out of my skin when a peregrine hit a pigeon about 15' feet from me while I sat on my decking enjoying the birdsong. The amount of noise it made while cloaking and finishing the pigeon off was phenomenal. Sat watching in fascination as it enjoyed its dinner until one of the dogs scared it off but by then the carcass was light enough and so the pigeon became a take-away. Birds of Prey are fascinating things and I love every opportunity I get to share time with them.

A few shots from last summer with my youngest courtesy of Wings of Wales
EAD1EF29-4438-4D67-B3A2-05A0EEAE68CF.jpeg

EDD1DA0A-5838-410D-969C-6CE3B53BE5FA.jpeg

7190B3B8-CCE3-4D0E-8F94-FAABE7E95463.jpeg

D966E028-C5AD-44E2-887E-C93F0C4ED232.jpeg

46AECE35-BD1F-4D80-831E-82A93FAAFF34.jpeg

Attachments

• 2AD03982-049B-42E9-B786-F47CFEFB08E9.jpeg
    2AD03982-049B-42E9-B786-F47CFEFB08E9.jpeg
    794.6 KB · Views: 19
  • trim.75CFB912-1BCF-465C-89E3-531D02E96317.MOV
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Flying the white tipped eagle was something else! We had the perfect wind and so having that big beastie coasting in almost at a hover to land on our outstretched hand was just an amazing experience.