peaty water fly choice

midgydug

Reaction score
Was having a last cast of season yesterday in a rather swollen peat stained river and went through my flybox as usual to no avail. I started tying different coloured flies on just to see what showed up best in the water. Gold and Orange seemed to show up the best but was observing the leaves that were coming down in the water, large or small the really showed up and was wondering if a more drab coloured fly would be more successful. Be interested in you guys fly choice in peaty water.

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Was having a last cast of season yesterday in a rather swollen peat stained river and went through my flybox as usual to no avail. I started tying different coloured flies on just to see what showed up best in the water. Gold and Orange seemed to show up the best but was observing the leaves that were coming down in the water, large or small the really showed up and was wondering if a more drab coloured fly would be more successful. Be interested in you guys fly choice in peaty water.

Something with a copper body would be my choice

Stornoway

Reaction score
All our rivers (in Lewis) run peat stained to a greater or lesser degree, Harris doesn't have that problem - as they drain from rock.

My fly choice is usually Park Shrimp, Calvins shrimp or cascade. But plenty of fish get caught on stoats tail and silver stoat. Also - trout flies do well here too, and a lot of them are drab.

I often think we underestimate the ability of fish to see our flies, but it wouldn't be fun if we couldn't fish around in fly boxes till we're happy our fly is visible enough for the water!

Craig

Reaction score
I tend to go for a Park Shrimp or a Silver Ally's. Both have caught me fish in peaty water.

Rennie

Reaction score
Davie McPhail's Peaty Man,thats worked very well for me especially in tube form.You can see(or certainly could see) it on You Tube with one of Davies excellent SBS's.Tying some up today for next weeks Tweedy thrash.Pedro

kgm

Reaction score
Copper or gold body with orange or pink feathers and/or fur.

A copper slipstream tube polished and varnished with orange bucktail tied top and bottom, little bit of pearl flash, JC optional, fire orange head - a red devil but in orange, I don't know if it has a name, works very well and can be tied up in minutes.

midgydug

Reaction score
some great and interesting replies lads, thank you.
Can't seem to find davie macphails peaty man on you tube.

bankwheel

Reaction score
A really good colour in peaty water is purple, a cascade with a purple hackle works well