PC threshold

Safranfoer

Reaction score
My goodness Safranfoer, when I Heard you say (read) 'Benny Hill completely passed me by - just a bit too young.' a famous quote from James Bond came to mind immediately. That was when Bond met the new Q in the museum; when Q ask 'is it because I'm not wearing a lab coat' and Bond said, 'Because you still have spots'.

No offense meant with regard to anyone's age but Benny Hill was a tradition with my family. Of course 'Are You Being Served' ran close second but Benny was the thing. You may want to look into some streaming services and binge a bit to better understand the workings of the dinosaur minds that abound on this forum :)

I just watched a couple and guys, I don't think they stopped making it because it isn't PC. The ones I watched were no 'worse' than something like 'Allo 'Allo, when it comes to objectification.

I think they stopped making it because it's utter tripe. You would never tire of punching that face. Why does he keep pulling that face?! None of it was funny!

And THEN after one of the last clips, it went to Max Wall. And honestly, by this point I'm just feeling sorry for y'all. I mean, when I was a kid it was all Blind Date and That's Life on a Saturday night so I can hardly claim it was more edifying - but all Max Wall does is WALK FUNNY?

salarchaser

Reaction score
We had chess club after school at junior school. That was it. And at high school, it was all sports. I want to go to your schools. I can't believe you had fly tying.
We had two very keen anglers in our secondary school. The first an RE teacher, the second the deputy head. The latter fished for the Welsh team in the home internationals. The former ran the fly tying and took lads fishing a couple times a season.
We even had inter school trout fishing competitions.
I joined the same club as the deputy head. There were a number of internationals there. It was a good introduction to the sport.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I just watched a couple and guys, I don't think they stopped making it because it isn't PC. The ones I watched were no 'worse' than something like 'Allo 'Allo, when it comes to objectification.

I think they stopped making it because it's utter tripe. You would never tire of punching that face. Why does he keep pulling that face?! None of it was funny!

And THEN after one of the last clips, it went to Max Wall. And honestly, by this point I'm just feeling sorry for y'all. I mean, when I was a kid it was all Blind Date and That's Life on a Saturday night so I can hardly claim it was more edifying - but all Max Wall does is WALK FUNNY?

Honestly... Max Wall is actually troubling me. This is the description of the video I just watched:

There are four typical Max routines here... 1st is the "arms length"...where he discovers that one arm is longer than the other. 2nd is "the floppy wrists"....but strangely, Max doesn't do the complete routine, where he usually tries to play the piano with these floppy hands. 3rd is the "baboon walk" which doesn't need me to explain..... and finally, the fabulous Wall Walk...including the high kick and the "pulled muscle". My dad was a Max Wall fan and his enthusiasm rubbed off on me when I was a kid.

So it's not even like what I watched was just one thing he did. It's not just one of his sketches. It's what he did over and over again - people laughed over and over again,at one arm being longer than the other, wrists being floppy, walking like a monkey, and kicking?

BAFFLING.

D

Deleted member 21259

Me, too, got my teachers at age 18, got sick of spending the hours, rebelled and have never touched a keyboard since - and won't ever again. It became a real bane of my childhood and it would bring the trauma back.

It's a shame as it was driven by my very snobbish piano teacher who insisted that anything other than classical would 'spoil my technique' and parents who didn't know any better.

Funnily enough, the same great uncle who encouraged and aided my fishing at an early age, taught me to vamp when I was about 11. That was fun and would have realistically been far more use in a commercial sense going forward.(He played with various bands).

Such a waste looking back. Tons of my folks' money and a huge chunk of my childhood being forced to do something I was very competent at yet hated.

(As a funny aside...I failed an apprentice scheme with a major oil company in Aberdeen when I was 17. The reason was lack of manual dexterity ?) The guy doing the interviews later got sacked for 'grooming' some apprentices. TF I wasn't his type:LOL:(y)

I listened to my nephew play a blues set as we waited for a taxi to take us to a restaurant on my 50th birthday. I bought a piano the following day and have been playing ever since. I absolutely live for it. Have a lesson every week and have gone from complete ignoramus to being able to read some fairly complicated pieces. The real bugbear for me is that without music in front of me I cannot put 6 notes together. My nephew just plays and improvises and its not fair. This is him:

Walleye

Reaction score
Honestly... Max Wall is actually troubling me. This is the description of the video I just watched:

There are four typical Max routines here... 1st is the "arms length"...where he discovers that one arm is longer than the other. 2nd is "the floppy wrists"....but strangely, Max doesn't do the complete routine, where he usually tries to play the piano with these floppy hands. 3rd is the "baboon walk" which doesn't need me to explain..... and finally, the fabulous Wall Walk...including the high kick and the "pulled muscle". My dad was a Max Wall fan and his enthusiasm rubbed off on me when I was a kid.

So it's not even like what I watched was just one thing he did. It's not just one of his sketches. It's what he did over and over again - people laughed over and over again,at one arm being longer than the other, wrists being floppy, walking like a monkey, and kicking?

BAFFLING.
Do you think the ministry of funny walks is not funny too?

Safranfoer

Reaction score
We had two very keen anglers in our secondary school. The first an RE teacher, the second the deputy head. The latter fished for the Welsh team in the home internationals. The former ran the fly tying and took lads fishing a couple times a season.
I joined the same club as the deputy head. There were a number of internationals there. It was a good introduction to the sport.

That's amazing. I would have loved something like that at school. How lucky! They're proposing a new GCSE in Natural History which sounds really interesting and I really hope it's developed before my boy has to choose his options (next year) as he'd lap it up.

It's not as hands on as your school was, but it's a start toward helping kids reconnect with nature. https://www.tes.com/news/exams-board-confirms-natural-history-gcse-plans

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Do you think the ministry of funny walks is not funny too?

I have never really understood The Ministry of Funny Walks either. It is slightly funnier than Max Wall, but only slightly. Said in a small voice because I suspect this is the wrong answer. They're just... walking funny.

tenet

Reaction score
Ah the great Max Wall -
I like the girls who do
I like the girls who don't
I like the girls who say they will and then they say they won't.
But the girls I like most of all and I think you'll say I'm right
Are the girls who say they won't but look as though they might.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
We had 'activities' last period on a Friday at my school. It was my physics teacher who ran the flytying one. I'm forever in his debt.

Neil W

Reaction score
You're offended that you're being prevented from hearing a homophobic slur, is what happens now. It's really only the same as radio stations not playing the album version of Stan by Eminem (first sweary song I could think of). I don't think anyone lobbied or called for Radio 1 not to play it. I think they decided on their own that it's probably not a great thing to do anymore - and fair enough. I'm honestly not bothered either way. I've never bristled at the song; equally I've never had that word spat in my face full of bile and hatred though, so I'm cool if they remove it. Why wouldn't anyone be? Why on earth does it matter? I know people say it's the thin end of a wedge - but honestly, it's not a great word. I see Radio 1's point.
It’s just a word. Who is deciding whether a word is offensive or not? None of my 3 kids find the song offensive and even they are rolling there eyes now at this nonsense So it’s not just middle aged men. I would say society should grow a pair but then that would offend somebody. It matters because it’s part of a sum of pc nonsense where people are scared to actually say words or what they think in case it ‘offends someone’. Grow a pair I say...oops probably offended someone

Chicharito

Reaction score
Back in the day, there used to be called after school clubs.
One night I'd be rugby training, another fly tying or maybe badminton, with teachers with an interest in those activities. We actually built our own rods one winter.
There were also lunch time events.
A group of us attended craft sessions. We used to make all sorts for sale at local fayres or through the school to raise money for charity.
I learned to sew shopping bags from off cuts of material from a local store. We made leather belts, watch straps and wrist bands. I could also weave the bases, sides and handles for tea trays.
Happy days.

The only after school activities at my school was detention and avoiding the dodgy
Christian Brothers at my Grammar School in Birkenhead.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
It’s just a word. Who is deciding whether a word is offensive or not? None of my 3 kids find the song offensive and even they are rolling there eyes now at this nonsense So it’s not just middle aged men. I would say society should grow a pair but then that would offend somebody. It matters because it’s part of a sum of pc nonsense where people are scared to actually say words or what they think in case it ‘offends someone’. Grow a pair I say...oops probably offended someone

I don't have strong feelings about the song one way or another - but that word would be classified as hate speech, so the law has decided on that one. I've never been offended by the song. I can understand why some people would be. It makes no odds to me either way whether it's in or out - but as it's a hateful word to some people, whatever, take it out. I don't think it's about growing a pair, really. It's choosing what you get angry about. Has my life - or yours - materially changed by not hearing that word on one radio station? No. Might it change someone else's, by not having to hear it? Yeah, maybe. Cool. Everyone's happy. I honestly can't see the fuss about it - other than if you're trying to find things to react to.

Neil W

Reaction score
I don't have strong feelings about the song one way or another - but that word would be classified as hate speech, so the law has decided on that one. I've never been offended by the song. I can understand why some people would be. It makes no odds to me either way whether it's in or out - but as it's a hateful word to some people, whatever, take it out. I don't think it's about growing a pair, really. It's choosing what you get angry about. Has my life - or yours - materially changed by not hearing that word on one radio station? No. Might it change someone else's, by not having to hear it? Yeah, maybe. Cool. Everyone's happy. I honestly can't see the fuss about it - other than if you're trying to find things to react to.
As I said it’s the sum of things not just this one song. What else shall we edit, erase or ban because someone is offended. If it was just this single song then of course what you say is true. But it isn’t this has been a steady ongoing issue for a long time and personally I am sick of people telling me what I can watch or listen to based on whether it offends someone or not. I don’t think I am alone in this view

NT8R

Reaction score
I have never really understood The Ministry of Funny Walks either. It is slightly funnier than Max Wall, but only slightly. Said in a small voice because I suspect this is the wrong answer. They're just... walking funny.

Your small voice is good, much better that the never ending SHOUTY one

Safranfoer

Reaction score
As I said it’s the sum of things not just this one song. What else shall we edit, erase or ban because someone is offended. If it was just this single song then of course what you say is true. But it isn’t this has been a steady ongoing issue for a long time and personally I am sick of people telling me what I can watch or listen to based on whether it offends someone or not. I don’t think I am alone in this view
I know you're not alone in the view - fwiw, my husband feels the same as you do, we have huge noisy arguments about it. I'll ask you what I ask him - what has been banned or removed or censored? What did you once enjoy that you can't access any more, because it's been removed? My husband can't list anything - he just says it's about the tone, the way world is going... Except it evidentially isn't. It's just noisy people at either end of the spectrum - extreme snowflakes, and extreme whatever the opposite of that is. What is actually happening... is very little. Isolated incidents.

Neil W

Reaction score
There are actually quite a few tv programs especially comedies which will not be shown on mainstream tv anymore. Head of the Football league forced to resign because he said the wrong words even if his intent was not to offend but to try and tackle inequality In football. It seems the words are now more important than the sentiment behind the words because some people think they are offensive.
the world has gone mad and even Dr Who is now a woman ?

salarchaser

Reaction score
That's amazing. I would have loved something like that at school. How lucky! They're proposing a new GCSE in Natural History which sounds really interesting and I really hope it's developed before my boy has to choose his options (next year) as he'd lap it up.

It's not as hands on as your school was, but it's a start toward helping kids reconnect with nature. https://www.tes.com/news/exams-board-confirms-natural-history-gcse-plans
Things have changed a lot since my day (12 year old novice fly tyer, 44 years ago).
Travelling to a day on the water with 2 lads sat on the front seat of an old wolsey, 5 in the back. Couldnt do it today. Travelling that way would be illegal and a risk assessment of a days fishing with only one responsible adult would make it a non starter.
Progress........

As an asside, been re-reading some of my old trout books. Brian Clarke, The pursuit of still water trout, Alan Pearson, catching big trout (not my favourite but interesting enough) and currently reading one of my favourite Trout Fisherman (not read it for 25+ years) contributers, Arthur Cove, My way with trout.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
There are actually quite a few tv programs especially comedies which will not be shown on mainstream tv anymore. Head of the Football league forced to resign because he said the wrong words even if his intent was not to offend but to try and tackle inequality In football. It seems the words are now more important than the sentiment behind the words because some people think they are offensive.
the world has gone mad and even Dr Who is now a woman ?

Greg Clarke has form of getting it wrong though, stretching back years - however unintentional, at his level, if you're having those conversations and being expected to help change a culture, you need to be sharper. I agree that he didn't mean to cause offence - but it kinda evidenced that he wasn't the man to lead the transformation.

If there was a big enough audience for the things you say wouldn't be aired, they'd be aired. You can watch Fawlty Towers on Netflix and Amazon and NowTV, Dad's Army is on BBC iPlayer... They're two shows mentioned on this thread.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never mistook Benny Hill for any sort of an intellectual exercise, didn't even consider it to have relevance. I enjoyed the show as I do many UK and other European programs yet today (thank you Amazon Prime) because they are not American productions. They manage to entertain with out high speed police chases, without gun battels and explosions. Somehow the Euro stuff relies on the characters not the level of violence in the show.

If I want violence on the TV I don't watch standard programming, I watch the news.

Honestly though, I don't know why this thread was even started other than to bring emotion to the surface. If you want emotion I could post some of my better essays about fishing here.

Reaction score
I know you're not alone in the view - fwiw, my husband feels the same as you do, we have huge noisy arguments about it. I'll ask you what I ask him - what has been banned or removed or censored? What did you once enjoy that you can't access any more, because it's been removed? My husband can't list anything - he just says it's about the tone, the way world is going... Except it evidentially isn't. It's just noisy people at either end of the spectrum - extreme snowflakes, and extreme whatever the opposite of that is. What is actually happening... is very little. Isolated incidents.

Not my words - but copied from another forum that I am a member of. Quite a lot of truth there.

"Righting wrongs, be they related to race, sexuality, gender, etc, is big business.

You don't expect Amazon to reach a point where they declare 'our job of supplying mail order deliveries is done, so we're shutting down'. Same with these advocacy groups. It is not in their interest to declare that the work is getting done and that we're closer to harmony... hence why they keep finding more and more 'issues' to deal with."

wormo

Reaction score
Let's just cancel Christmas in case it offends somebody!
Tell you what, let's just cancel it anyway!
Enjoying yourself in the company of other people ( and occasionally family) should be a thing of the past! ?
why stop at Christmas let's all fek off and live in individual caves , never speak another word to each other and end the human race , a mere smile is worthy of the death penalty ?