PC threshold

salarchaser

Reaction score
I totally support the clampdown on racist, homophobic and other persecution of minority sections of society (in trying to PC I've probably made a number of faux pas here). Surely there has to be a line somewhere.
Cant say I know where that line is, but I find it increasingly difficult to stay on the right side of that line.
Do some sectors change what is acceptable deliberately to trip people up so they can be outraged?
As a proud welshman, I now wish to be known as a sh@gger of sheep NOT a sheep sh@gger.

D

Deleted member 945

They’ve changed an offensive word. Songs have had ‘radio edits’ since time immemorial. Not sure this is news and I think we’ve had the same story/debate about this song every year since I can remember

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I wonder if i think it was Tescos Christmas ad will have Muslims celebrating Christmas with the tree in back ground again this year?
This pc horseshit has gone way too far!!

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Just ignore it all, stick to the values you were taught growing up, and if anyone plays the offended card just ask what their problem is.
But I suppose that will get me sent to the gulag on North Rona once Hamsa Useless gets his hate speech bill through Hollyrood.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Kirsty McColl hasn't sung that lyric since 1992. She's substituted it quietly, with 'haggard' and no one got angry, until the people that wanted to get angry about things are now angry. The over sensitive thing cuts both ways in these instances.

D

Deleted member 21259

Here's an idea which is really very complicated and took a lot of thought. If you like the song play it and if you don't like the song then don't. As regards Billy Connolly nothing to do with political correctness or anything else but personally I would rather watch somebody running a key down the side of my car than watch him perform. He just ain't funny im afraid. Here's a bonus tip. If you do find him funny then watch him - PRESTO ?

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
We've already seen quite a few comedies pulled or threatened with being pulled and some of the comedy actors having to give insincere, grovelling apologies. I can only see it getting worse (i.e. more and more PC) when it comes to comedy and humour.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Benny Hill completely passed me by - just a bit too young. There's nothing offensive/non-PC imo about that vid, tenet. I certainly wouldn't be offended - and you know I can be prickly... ;-) But dear god it's utter tripe. What's with the eye rolling and blinking and gurning? Is that unique to Ernie the character, or is that a Benny Hill thing? All I know about Benny Hill is stuff I've seen of him chasing women around.

Elibank

Reaction score
Here's an idea which is really very complicated and took a lot of thought. If you like the song play it and if you don't like the song then don't. As regards Billy Connolly nothing to do with political correctness or anything else but personally I would rather watch somebody running a key down the side of my car than watch him perform. He just ain't funny im afraid. Here's a bonus tip. If you do find him funny then watch him - PRESTO ?

2435C17F-6793-4CD1-98FF-1F5B14E91479.gif

tenet

Reaction score
Benny Hill completely passed me by - just a bit too young. There's nothing offensive/non-PC imo about that vid, tenet. I certainly wouldn't be offended - and you know I can be prickly... ;-) But dear god it's utter tripe. What's with the eye rolling and blinking and gurning? Is that unique to Ernie the character, or is that a Benny Hill thing? All I know about Benny Hill is stuff I've seen of him chasing women around.

Of its time Saffy - I do believe the song made the top 10 in an era when you had to buy a record rather than download from internet. His show also appeared amongst the most popular, with millions tuning in, until the pc brigade deemed it offensive to women.
Reminds me of the chap from Maidstone who tried to sue the local paper for describing him as a Man of Kent rather than a Kentish man.

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Did the women in Benny Hill sketches do anything else other than chase or be chased? Were they more than just things to look at and desire/be repulsed by, if there were any non-attractive women?

Fawlty Towers is different. You're laughing at him because you know it's wrong, and it's funny that he's trying to get it right but gets it wrong. It laughs at PC culture. So it makes the cut. If Benny Hill is just objectifying women, then fair enough that they stopped making it. But of course I'm speaking as a woman, who has been objectified in the past and who can see that the culture of objectifying women on TV creates real world problems - I have worked with some really creepy, very handsy men, but if they're seeing that it's OK to be creepy and handsy, it rather explains it. Also - it might be harder for men to understand? Also - the women in Benny Hill might not just have been objects...

Chicharito

Reaction score
Let's just cancel Christmas in case it offends somebody!
Tell you what, let's just cancel it anyway!
Enjoying yourself in the company of other people ( and occasionally family) should be a thing of the past! ?