Patagonia (the company) supports anti's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwest

Reaction score
Its all about perspective really. There are getting on for ten times as many buzzards breeding in the UK than cormorants. As anglers we want to cull cormorants because they kill "our" salmon. I think we all have to understand that culling predators is controversial and unlikely to make any of us any friends.
And what about the RSPB culling deer on their land and NATURESCOT (new name for Scot Natural Heritage quango) moving the doe season forward to September.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Love them or loathe them, they are super-transparent. On sourcing their wool and mulesing:

Neil W

Reaction score
I think we should be careful on threads like this. Generally my view is that Patagonia as a company try hard to do good and have really pushed other out door companies to use recycled and ethically produced materials and have supported many good environmental causes.
maybe they shouldn’t be supporting this group. I don’t pretend to know enough about it to jump up and down and say there stuff is all over priced rubbish and I will never use it again. If an official body contacts Patagonia on this issue and points out why their support is maybe misguided then maybe they will listen and change.
I will continue to use some of their products which are excellent and produced with an ethos that I support. They are also a positive force in trying to stop fish farming and should be supported for this in my view.

Troosers Too

Reaction score
I think we should be careful on threads like this. Generally my view is that Patagonia as a company try hard to do good and have really pushed other out door companies to use recycled and ethically produced materials and have supported many good environmental causes.
maybe they shouldn’t be supporting this group. I don’t pretend to know enough about it to jump up and down and say there stuff is all over priced rubbish and I will never use it again. If an official body contacts Patagonia on this issue and points out why their support is maybe misguided then maybe they will listen and change.
I will continue to use some of their products which are excellent and produced with an ethos that I support. They are also a positive force in trying to stop fish farming and should be supported for this in my view.
Patagonia is a company with a strong ethos, I agree. They make some good, if expensive,products. Not for nothing were they called Patagucci in Chamonix for many years. Through skiing, climbing & now fishing, I've used their probucts for more years than I can remember, however they currently sponsor a group of aggressive anti-field sports activists. It could be that they have been persuaded that this group are something other than they are, I don't know, but until that sponsorship ends I cannot and will not purchase another piece of their gear.

I can find no way of making a protest to Patagonia on their website so perhaps threads like this, where people show their anger, is exactly what is needed. They will see it, make no mistake.

Fishing - particularly salmon fishing where we are targetting a vulnerable species - will be on the radar of groups like this and sooner or later ghillies and rods will start to be intimidated and followed.

Neil W

Reaction score
Patagonia is a company with a strong ethos, I agree. They make some good, if expensive,products. Not for nothing were they called Patagucci in Chamonix for many years. Through skiing, climbing & now fishing, I've used their probucts for more years than I can remember, however they currently sponsor a group of aggressive anti-field sports activists. It could be that they have been persuaded that this group are something other than they are, I don't know, but until that sponsorship ends I cannot and will not purchase another piece of their gear.

I can find no way of making a protest to Patagonia on their website so perhaps threads like this, where people show their anger, is exactly what is needed. They will see it, make no mistake.

Fishing - particularly salmon fishing where we are targetting a vulnerable species - will be on the radar of groups like this and sooner or later ghillies and rods will start to be intimidated and followed.
Fair enough and I don’t disagree with anything you say.
whoever represents those being wronged by this group need to present good evidence to Patagonia on this issue. If I knew more about it I may also consider e.mailing them directly as there is a contact facility on their website. If there is official representation and people with knowledge contact through the website I am sure they will take notice. How they react to this representation is how I will personally judge them and decide if I will carry on buying their products.
I agree with you that they may notice this thread as they will have people who trawl social media. If that’s true then
PATGONIA Please take a look at this group you are supporting and listen to any evidence you receive of practices which go against your own ethos

Loxie

Reaction score
Fair enough and I don’t disagree with anything you say.
whoever represents those being wronged by this group need to present good evidence to Patagonia on this issue. If I knew more about it I may also consider e.mailing them directly as there is a contact facility on their website. If there is official representation and people with knowledge contact through the website I am sure they will take notice. How they react to this representation is how I will personally judge them and decide if I will carry on buying their products.
I agree with you that they may notice this thread as they will have people who trawl social media. If that’s true then
PATGONIA Please take a look at this group you are supporting and listen to any evidence you receive of practices which go against your own ethos
Good point. I have sent communication on the issue to interested parties and I hope they will open a dialogue with the company.

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Patagonia ....some nice gear, better fit for women than men, men’s sizing are modelled on obese American men, their jackets also leak like a sieve. Other than that cool company, love their Fitz Roy t-shirts. No problem here.

DCH 👁

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Patagonia ....some nice gear, better fit for women than men, men’s sizing are modelled on obese American men, their jackets also leak like a sieve. Other than that cool company, love their Fitz Roy t-shirts. No problem here.

DCH 👁
The Fitz Rot t-shirts are very very nice.

bankwheel

Reaction score

DCH 👁
I find Patagonia a better fit than Simms, both Orvis and Simms are huge for their relative size.
I have two SST jackets and a River Salt jacket no leaks what so ever, one of the SST’s I bought in 1997 so not bad performance from a 23 year old jacket

Walleye

Reaction score
Genuine question, I really don't know the answer....
Is this a legal trap?
Screenshot_20210124-104938_Photos.jpg

sammyc

Reaction score
Well, they are hardly going to be independent. I was thinking more about biodiversity researchers.

it’s a tricky business since Patagonia have done more to fight fish farms than any other company in the world as far as I’m aware.

Ooo oh, and those nano puff hoodies and trousers..... those gorgeous snuggles...

(not so sure about the €550 wading boots?)
GWCT submit all of their research through the peer review process. They are entirely independent, and a charity that must remain so to fulfill the Charity Commission obligations. More to the point, Wild Justice didn’t even critique their evidence in a recent judicial review. GWCT are the world leaders in biodiversity and ecosystem research of upland habitats.

sammyc

Reaction score
For all of those who question whether MM are involved in illegal activity:

- Throughout their facebook and twitter you can see calls for people to go shoot ‘stabbing’, with names and addresses and dates of shoots publicised.
- They show an image of Luke Steele, convicted criminal and animal rights extremist, founder of ‘Ban Bloodsports on Yorkshire Moors’, leading an ‘education party’ looking at a legal snare on some moorland.
- They illegally post images of gamekeepers and encourage harassment of them.
- They illegally promote trespass.

As others have pointed out, they are overtly also for a ban on driven grouse shooting.

The benefits of driven grouse shooting, both social, environmental and economic, are widely publicised in a raft of peer reviewed science: both desk top reviews of previous literature and original research. The GWCT is a repository of some of this, as well as carrying out its own peer reviewed research. Some has also just been published regarded heather/muir burn by the University of Northampton too. Googling this can find it, but you might have to wade through some Avery/Packham-esque generalisations before you get to the actual science. Claims that burning increases water run-off and dries out carbon sequestering sphagnum moss are extraordinary - the science says it does exactly the opposite!

Maggy

Reaction score
Not the science I’ve seen recently. How can burning moor not dry out the ground - doesn’t make sense ?

Status
Not open for further replies.