Pat Curry - Curry's Red Shrimp

Me1

Reaction score
My father John Magee from Coleraine was a well known salmon angler whose favourite stretches were on the River Bann, River Roe as well as a number of Donegal and Irish rivers. He was a very good friend of Pat and Joe Curry and spent many a long day in their company fishing salmon especially on the Roe River that flowed through the town of Limavady. My father did not tie his own flies and usually relied on Pat Curry and local fly tyers. As a child I often spent evenings listening to the Curry brothers and my dad discussing their experiences. Pat even offered to teach me the art of salmon fly tying, regretfully I didn't accept his invitation - looked too difficult.
I inherited my father's salmon fishing gear including his salmon flies and boxes when he passed away in 1984. I know a large number of the flies in the vintage Malloch's salmon fly box were tied by Pat Curry and there are a number of Curry's Red Shrimp in the box as well as Roe purples etc. My problem is that I cannot authenticate these as I have no written verifications and while I fish myself I have no clue about what to look for regarding a Curry Red Shrimp etc. I do have a photo of Pat tying a fly at his table/clamp. I also have articles from old local newspapers and local fishing book 'Ripples on the Roe' that mention Pat Curry, Joe, W 'Speedy' Moore and my father regularly fishing together.
Has anybody got any suggestions who I might contact to assist me authenticate these flies. I have attached a photo of some flies in the box.
Thanking you,
Me1

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_210841.jpg
    IMG_20210516_210841.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3,395

Jockiescott

Reaction score
You have some proper angling history in your possession and are an extremely lucky person. I am extremely jealous! 🙂 It is great to see stuff like this still exists.

I see a couple of red shrimps in the box and possibly a couple of blue shrimps too?

Is it possible that you could post more pictures? Perhaps each row at a time? We might be able to identify a few of the patterns for you.

Who could you take them to? I'm really not sure but perhaps forum member minitube could be of assistance. His knowledge of patterns and how they're tied is as good as anyone else's around.

Me1

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. I will send more photos next week, I would definately appreciate some information on the flies names where possible. I have 'casts' made by my father with flies still attached and wrapped around cigarette box's etc - no fancy cast spools in use then.
Thanks for your assistance.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. I will send more photos next week, I would definately appreciate some information on the flies names where possible. I have 'casts' made by my father with flies still attached and wrapped around cigarette box's etc - no fancy cast spools in use then.
Thanks for your assistance.

I'll look forward to seeing them! 🙂

I think the first row, to the left contains a Curry's Red and three Curry's Blue Shrimps. Also a currys red in the bottom right if the photo.

Might be a ghost shrimp in there too.

I'll look forward to the photos.

Thanks for sharing! 🙂

easky

Reaction score
Love hearing these stories and history, and some very interesting patterns there! Look forward to seeing more pics! 👍👍

for reference here is a Pat Curry original, very similar to some of yours

Attachments

• 40F66DAD-8F07-454E-99F6-74FAC0FECBDB.jpeg
    40F66DAD-8F07-454E-99F6-74FAC0FECBDB.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 118

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Love hearing these stories and history, and some very interesting patterns there! Look forward to seeing more pics! 👍👍

for reference here is a Pat Curry original, very similar to some of yours
Thats great to see but the vielings have me flummoxed! Is it red dyed duck wing where the fibres have come apart or something else?

Me1

Reaction score
Hi
I wouldn't know about the colouring etc as I know nothing about the art of fly tying or materials used. They were certainly well fished with plenty of success when salmon seemed more plentiful, unlike many of today's rivers - that's my excuse! After my father passed away I put his gear away and it's only now that I've retired that I've had the time to 'resurrect' it. I never really fished salmon.
In my collection I have counted 130 vintgage salmon flies in 2 boxes, shrimps and 'others', a couple of salmon rods, Hardy's 'The Wye Salmon rod', S Alcock's steel centered 'The Standard Salmon Rod' - Hardy's 'Uniqua' salmon reel and Alcock's 'Marvel' trout reel etc as well as the Mallock fly box.
These vintgage items have been stored for some time. I have attached photos of original casts tied by my father and not used since.
1621273723206312487170539951240.jpg
16212738003935002682248729878481.jpg
16212738602116679109849335491582.jpg

I will select some flies photograph them and post them on the forum. Obviously I do appreciate any information or comments.
Thanks again
Eamonn

Attachments

• 16212739963412265578628226066880.jpg
    16212739963412265578628226066880.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 102

Jockiescott

Reaction score
First photo might have a Wilkinson featherwing on the right. A predecessor of the popular shrimp fly today. Not sure of the other one.

The next picture has a Curry's Red and possibly a 'Faughan Purple' or possibly a 'Roe Purple'. What an absolutely stunning shade of red hackle on that! 😮

Wonderful to see! Thanks for taking the time to share those!

jimmythefish

Reaction score
My wife is from the coleraine area bud,I was the guy that put up speedy Moore’s handrail upto his flat when he lived across from the bann,try asking the coleraine chronicle if you’ve not already done that,I know they used to put on a wealth of fishing stuff over the years,they even had me in it once,when I caught one of the heaviest plaice ever caught from land and into the record books back then,and a nice specimen it was,away back in the 80s,what about putting a wee add in the local paper,I new a chap called mcClelland from harpers hill,Jim was his name a great fisherman he was too,and if he’s still alive he’d know for sure,I wish you well on your quest mate,keep her lit.......... jimmy.