Park Shrimp

Bad_bastie

Reaction score
Heres another couple for the pot, couple of wee sparse ones for grilse.

**Never realised that pic was so out of focus before i posted it

Last edited:

fishing sanny

Reaction score
Park Shrimp and Calvin's Shrimp

Sorry for the delay in posting these pics.
Here's my take on Ross McDonalds Park shrimp and Calvin's Shrimp.
I've used the guard hairs from fox belly fur to replace IMHO the over priced Arctic Runner.
Tied on size 15 Gold Salar doubles. I hope you like them!
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Tightlines FS

Last edited:

Woodsy

Reaction score
Just found and read trough this thread. I know it's old but I found it very helpful and hopefully have a go at tying this some evening this week to hopefully fish at the weekend.

Does anyone find using the pearl rib over seals fur very flimsy? I guess if a brownie hit it, or better still a grilse, you would be replacing flies a lot quicker?

gwelsher

Reaction score
Does anyone find using the pearl rib over seals fur very flimsy? I guess if a brownie hit it, or better still a grilse, you would be replacing flies a lot quicker?
I find the Mirage flimsy, I don't mind if it gets broken by a fish but not rocks etc.
What I do is tie in a length of 6-10lb clear mono as well as the Mirage. I then rib with the Mirage as usual and then cross rib with the mono.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Just found and read trough this thread. I know it's old but I found it very helpful and hopefully have a go at tying this some evening this week to hopefully fish at the weekend.

I can't say I found it an issue and I used to use the Park a lot.

I don't ever remember a rib breaking on one of these but maybe I was just lucky.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Thanks folks, mixed opinions lol. I think I'll do a mix of the pearl and maybe a couple of gold rib in places where the brownies are plentiful. I've never tied that much on at the head before so might avoid the mono just to reduce bulk.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thanks folks, mixed opinions lol. I think I'll do a mix of the pearl and maybe a couple of gold rib in places where the brownies are plentiful. I've never tied that much on at the head before so might avoid the mono just to reduce bulk.
I’m in the category of not really catching much so not had much problem - but I’ve started putting a thin (trout size) silver wire rib over the mirage on calvins and gold over Parkies - just in case I catch a fish and I can have the fly for the next millennia when it might catch another ( ps not a great pic as the light doesn’t show the mirage but does show the rib hopefully)76295A79-17C5-48D6-A7D0-9E9AD14633A8.jpeg

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I’m in the category of not really catching much so not had much problem - but I’ve started putting a thin (trout size) silver wire rib over the mirage on calvins and gold over Parkies - just in case I catch a fish and I can have the fly for the next millennia when it might catch anotherView attachment 46649
Is the rib meant to be mirage on a Calvin’s??? 😮

I've only ever ribbed them with oval gold!!!

I now declare my version as the FAUGHAN Calvin!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I’m in the category of not really catching much so not had much problem - but I’ve started putting a thin (trout size) silver wire rib over the mirage on calvins and gold over Parkies - just in case I catch a fish and I can have the fly for the next millennia when it might catch anotherView attachment 46649
Now they'll defo catch fish Patrick 🎣. Crackers sir 😎 and your usual quality tying 👍🏻

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Lol - no - now I’m confused -just checked Gary Welsher’s book - which I use - and it’s a gold rib!!! So I’m wrong. I’ll have to call my Warrington Calvins
Doh!!! Faughan Calvin was short lived!!! 🤣

Lovely Calvin's, no matter what the rib is. 👌

Woodsy

Reaction score
Very nice flies there!

I had a disaster this evening. Finally sat down to tie and I had no yellow runner and the orange I have is very pale and doesn't really feel like real runner( Veniard).

I decided to give it a go anyway using yellow bucktail instead. Then I was pulled away from the desk so rushed it and ended with a messy big headed bugger. Not happy with it but I'll stick it on a dropper at the weekend. Would have liked to tie a few and at my own pace but tonight wasn't to be..

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
As commented in the thread - good Artic Runner is brilliant but it's as rare as Hen's teeth these days. Poor Artic Runner is rubbish (I know as I have some) - I personally don't think there is anything wrong with using good Artic Fox/Polar Fox/Shadow Fox etc - especially some of the stuff you can get from the likes of Foxy Tails - so woodsy - if you aren't happy with your pale runner - try some fox instead. I brush out the underfur and use the fox guard hairs as a replacement for runner.

Woodsy

Reaction score
As commented in the thread - good Artic Runner is brilliant but it's as rare as Hen's teeth these days. Poor Artic Runner is rubbish (I know as I have some) - I personally don't think there is anything wrong with using good Artic Fox/Polar Fox/Shadow Fox etc - especially some of the stuff you can get from the likes of Foxy Tails - so woodsy - if you aren't happy with your pale runner - try some fox instead. I brush out the underfur and use the fox guard hairs as a replacement for runner.
Thanks DrPatrick, I've only a small bit of artic fox too so might get a wee order in with foxytails 👍

Jockiescott

Reaction score
👍 I’ll have to give him a bell - he also does great bucktail ( and pretty much everything he has is good).
I've only ever had to send one item back to him. It was a jungle cock cape that was within my price range at the time. He had sent me photos of it and I knew there would be some splits but there were more than I imagined when it arrived.

A quick message to him and it was sent back for a full refund without issue.

No matter what I'm after now, I contact Steve and there hasn't been much that he hasn't had. Not overly priced either.