Pair of single handers

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
These are for me and my laddie. The red ones mine to match my switch rod.
These are 10ft 7 weights built on my own nano carbon blanks.
Ive used dark black thunder cactus for the handles and built a small fighting butt on them but turned the reel seat down locking and recessed it into the butt to keep the reel in the correct position. It will give me the option of a wee roll or Spey cast with it. I’ve kept everything dark with black guides and winding check.
Ive not tested these blanks yet but they feel nice on the wiggle test not too soft and not tip
32023671-2AE3-4AAD-BF5E-1A78F838942A.jpeg
23722FF4-CBA4-4867-A6FE-80EE939BC230.jpeg
632AC940-8863-495F-B8A9-CE8BAF43EF34.jpeg
F90CF0FA-0CA2-4928-B937-8684F8ADBA4D.jpeg
action either they seem to flex to about the middle. Hopefully be spot on for the grilse. They are away to get well tested by both of us. I’m off up north today for 2 weeks fishing and lazing about drinking beers in the hot tub. So fingers crossed I will update this thread with some pics of the rods beside some fish.

keirstream

Reaction score
I'll catch up with you hopefully up the Helmsdale.
Travelling North on the 18th.
If I don't see you I'm in the market for a very fast action 10ft 7wt. for winter bows.(y)

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I'll catch up with you hopefully up the Helmsdale.
Travelling North on the 18th.
If I don't see you I'm in the market for a very fast action 10ft 7wt. for winter bows.(y)
Would be good to catch up with you Tom.
Have you christened that Irish rod yet? Is it lucky after all?
I’m up here until the 24th but me and my laddie got an invite to fish the conon on the 19th so that will be only day we’re not fishing the Helmsdale.
I will keep you up to date on how we’re getting on mate.

keirstream

Reaction score
Would be good to catch up with you Tom.
Have you christened that Irish rod yet? Is it lucky after all?
I’m up here until the 24th but me and my laddie got an invite to fish the conon on the 19th so that will be only day we’re not fishing the Helmsdale.
I will keep you up to date on how we’re getting on mate.
Yip, christened on the Borgie, it'll do the job alright:).
Quite fancy a go with your grilse special too.
Looking at the dates though it doesn't work for us as I was hoping to fish
the Helmsdale Monday and Tuesday 26th/27th and you will be off home.:(
Anyway, keep in touch.(y)(y)

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Yip, christened on the Borgie, it'll do the job alright:).
Quite fancy a go with your grilse special too.
Looking at the dates though it doesn't work for us as I was hoping to fish
the Helmsdale Monday and Tuesday 26th/27th and you will be off home.:(
Anyway, keep in touch.(y)(y)
Will make you sure you get a shot of the grilse special and will keep in touch.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Wee Grilse on the Falkirk FC rod yesterday in hopeless conditions….I don’t know who got the biggest surprise!

Hoolet
Well done mate.
The Tay has been poor this season so far eh?
There was a cracking run of big spankers august last year, a load of fish came off lower/middle Tay. Let’s hope it’s the same this year.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Got the rods set up for first light. Had one so far at 6 1/2lb unfortunately it wasn’t on my own made rod. It’s was on my trusty sunray on my greys gr60 single hander which I’ve used and loved for years.
But going between my own one and the greys I now hate it. It’s like a stick compared to mine. Mine is miles nicer to use. Even my young lad picked up the greys to give the sunray a go and hated it also after putting his own rod down.
Ive now set up my wee wooden handle 9ft rod with the sunray. So if I catch again it will be on a rod I’ve built.
We’re getting action most mornings but landing them is a different story. We will keep at it
A92256F4-2796-408F-BCB6-C11249890201.jpeg
7C92B19E-0BDE-4D82-ADF8-539CD487E8C9.jpeg

lefthandup

Reaction score
Got the rods set up for first light. Had one so far at 6 1/2lb unfortunately it wasn’t on my own made rod. It’s was on my trusty sunray on my greys gr60 single hander which I’ve used and loved for years.
But going between my own one and the greys I now hate it. It’s like a stick compared to mine. Mine is miles nicer to use. Even my young lad picked up the greys to give the sunray a go and hated it also after putting his own rod down.
Ive now set up my wee wooden handle 9ft rod with the sunray. So if I catch again it will be on a rod I’ve built.
We’re getting action most mornings but landing them is a different story. We will keep at it
View attachment 63310View attachment 63311
Top stuff buddy....you must've been sharp with the camera just before that one took off...what a great looking fish ☝️