Packham v Beavers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty31

Reaction score
I am not even going to bother to click on to the link, we all know it can not be reversed, is the idea not to aim for as near carbon neutral as possible? and is tree planting not helping the process? I cannot see a handful of beavers making major problems considering the numbers of trees needed to make any impact, and asking what my plans are single handed to put a stop to CC? well I am not even going to bother to give a reply, if your trying to act funny? best advice is try someone else

ArchieL

Reaction score
Now Now gentlemen lets not fall out over 24 Billion tonnes of C02 emmisions. Yes Carbon neutral is the aim but let us not forget that the UK is a minor polluter compared to China,Russia,America who still rely heavily on coal. Also lets not forget that one of the worlds biggest go green initiatives "Bio fuels" resulted in 1.9 million tonnes of palm oil being used in European cars but if you look further then you will see that large sections of the Amazon Rain forest was cut down to grow this Palm Oil plant !!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Beavers are a good thing, they enhance flood protection and fish habitat.

Plus if they get too numerous the eagles and wolves will keep their numbers down.
If only we hadn't killed all of them too...

Let's face it, Scotland's nature is trashed and lies in ruin. Barren, artificial treeless hills, row upon row of timber spruce plantations that do nothing for wildlife, abstracted and dammed rivers, over-grazed riverbanks, wind farms as far as the eye can see... The list goes on and on.

The only reason these reintroductions fail is because we destroyed the 'natural' Scotland a long time ago. Unless we're serious about reforestation on a huge scale I don't think there can be a place for the beavers.

Isisalar

Reaction score
How about asking a few American anglers how they view Beaver dams?
I get the impression they're thought of as extremely beneficial to Trout and Salmon populations.
Unusually the EA provided some local 'sanctuary ponds' for coarse fish on my local river Colne. Massive success as fry weren't swept downstream in floods and 8populated the, very small, river and it became almost wonderful.
Cue EE arrivals around 2008, all fish disappeared.
For 10 Yrs or more there are now no longer any swims and I very much doubt any anglers are fishing it at all.
Golden opportunity for a 2lb Roach but do I want to risk all my gear being stolen by miscreants?
Have reported numerous incidents of out of season fishing to the EA and guess what?

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
5593C528-D8BD-4C21-BD63-F51CAD8D61A3.jpeg
A9AB10D5-8CA7-4C20-BE40-45F584E56D6B.jpeg

Shared these pics a while back when I was reading the book (Isabella Tree, Wilding). I seem to recall that water quality is excellent below a beaver dam - natural filters for run off.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
How about asking a few American anglers how they view Beaver dams?
I get the impression they're thought of as extremely beneficial to Trout and Salmon populations.
Unusually the EA provided some local 'sanctuary ponds' for coarse fish on my local river Colne. Massive success as fry weren't swept downstream in floods and 8populated the, very small, river and it became almost wonderful.
Cue EE arrivals around 2008, all fish disappeared.
For 10 Yrs or more there are now no longer any swims and I very much doubt any anglers are fishing it at all.
Golden opportunity for a 2lb Roach but do I want to risk all my gear being stolen by miscreants?
Have reported numerous incidents of out of season fishing to the EA and guess what?
Yeah, but the simple fact that all the Beaver lovers (fnarr, fnarr) on here quoting studies outwith our shores forget is.....Beaver's still have natural predators elsewhere. Not here in the UK.

Some 're-wilding' nut jobs have released a tree felling beast on our waterways with no way of it being controlled. Give me a rifle now! I wouldn't mind them if Mother Nature still had a say in the matter.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
That’s a forum classic that is.

Wednesday morning, man checks forum and notices other man doesn’t approve of beaver reintroduction.

Now what’s the appropriate response to this situation? Ignore it? Nah. Write a scathing rebuttal? Nah.

Oh, I know, I’ll tell him that he’d be better off topping himself and all his mates too. Winner!

Right, now that’s sorted I’ll get back to that spreadsheet:lol:

G

guest2938

I dont know what i feel about beavers or their impact. What i do know is, i dont want them populating up in the rivers i fish, so that i am forced to form an opinion.

Ignorance is bliss

DCH

meyre

Reaction score
Beavers...intolerance...bias ...and a little prejudice, thrilling, really!!
Haven't met such a gap in togetherness since I turned up in the Kop in an Everton shirt...what fun!

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Local vets on the Tay catchment are reporting increased cases of giardiasis in areas where beavers are present.
I imaging the solution to that inconvenient problem punted by rewilders will be to move the people.
Out of curiosity, how many of the salmon anglers that like beavers commenting on this thread have to live with them?
Even SNH are happy to have the giant rats dead.

goosander

Reaction score
Going by the damage to the banks and the trees some as old as 300 years get rid of all of them. People can talk about how wonderful they are and all the **** about improving nature so in that case get your own ground.
Bob.

westie4566

Reaction score
Another village missing its idiot..
Thanks for the kind offer of a rifle to 'do away with myself', greenlander2009!

I fear you may be a bit down the list of benefactors in this respect....I'm sure DonCurlyHorny, Scotsmac and a few others must be jumping a jig at the prospect of me topping myself. Perhaps you'd all just prefer Hari Kiri?:crazy::wow:

Over the years many of us on here have been involved in really heated arguments, myself included. It's what happens when we all care passionately about our pastime. Generally, even after the most heated of those run their course, most members here are back finding common ground and getting on again.

I did say 'generally' above for a reason. Over the past wee while there has been a really ugly side to the forum and the above is yet another prime example. These days if your're friends with and fish with guys on here then your a 'clique'. If you act like a normal adult and shake hands with someone you disagreed with, and then get on with fishing together....well then your two faced.

And what sane and normal person suggests myself and others shoot ourselves, yet alone those that find it amusing??? It's even more distasteful at present when I'm spending most of time with my Dad as he says goodbye to this earth.

Sorry for the long winded response.....but frankly that comment today was the straw that broke this camels back. I'm sick and bloody tired of the s'hite' I'm expected to take from a handful of folk on here with their own agenda.....and that's an agenda that has sfa to do with fishing.

Loxie

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind offer of a rifle to 'do away with myself', greenlander2009!

I fear you may be a bit down the list of benefactors in this respect....I'm sure DonCurlyHorny, Scotsmac and a few others must be jumping a jig at the prospect of me topping myself. Perhaps you'd all just prefer Hari Kiri?:crazy::wow:

Over the years many of us on here have been involved in really heated arguments, myself included. It's what happens when we all care passionately about our pastime. Generally, even after the most heated of those run their course, most members here are back finding common ground and getting on again.

I did say 'generally' above for a reason. Over the past wee while there has been a really ugly side to the forum and the above is yet another prime example. These days if your're friends with and fish with guys on here then your a 'clique'. If you act like a normal adult and shake hands with someone you disagreed with, and then get on with fishing together....well then your two faced.

And what sane and normal person suggests myself and others shoot ourselves, yet alone those that find it amusing??? It's even more distasteful at present when I'm spending most of time with my Dad as he says goodbye to this earth.

Sorry for the long winded response.....but frankly that comment today was the straw that broke this camels back. I'm sick and bloody tired of the s'hite' I'm expected to take from a handful of folk on here with their own agenda.....and that's an agenda that has sfa to do with fishing.
I hear what you're saying. It really does seem that the lunatics have taken over the asylum these days.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
I have to say that I have found similar replies recently. I posted what I thought was a humorous letter on Extinction Rebellion on the climate change thread and got a very personal reply accusing me of child abuse.:batty:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Local vets on the Tay catchment are reporting increased cases of giardiasis in areas where beavers are present.
I imaging the solution to that inconvenient problem punted by rewilders will be to move the people.
Out of curiosity, how many of the salmon anglers that like beavers commenting on this thread have to live with them?
Even SNH are happy to have the giant rats dead.
I think that is the most relevant point, I imagine most of us have not experienced it yet.

Reports from the Tay, Earn etc are not glowing - from anglers and landowners !

goosander

Reaction score
When one complains about others then that shows they are winning. Just ignore them.
Had P.M. s in the past that are worse than any of the above. I just reply thanking them for there comments. Gets them angry.
Bob.

goosander

Reaction score
Post 46.
I have offered to show others the damage the beavers do to the flood banks and the trees for a good number of years. Not one person has taken me up on this offer.
Bob.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
I have posted this before but for the newcomers: I have a cousin who lives in the back of beyond in British Columbia. When I first visited him 40 years ago he had a lovely little 'creek' ranging from 12 to 20 feet wide with some lovely deep pools lined with mature Aspens where I caught wild Trout, Salmon and Steelhead in season depending when I visited. Beavers had been hunted out of that valley over a hundred years before. Then in their wisdom the Canadian government declared Beaver a protected species. They gradually recolonised the valley to an extent that the last time I visited about 10 years ago the creek was no longer fishable. The Aspens had all gone and been replaced by scrub willow. The creek was now a series of shallow ponds and marsh covering the entire base of the valley. There were still a few trout but the migratory fish had gone. Nobody bothers to fish there anymore. I know they are N. American Beaver that are supposed to be different from European Beaver but I have failed to notice any difference.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Post 46.
I have offered to show others the damage the beavers do to the flood banks and the trees for a good number of years. Not one person has taken me up on this offer.
Bob.
I would have thought that going to see what has actually happened on river systems where beavers have been introduced is a starting point for anyone interested in introducing beavers on their own river systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.